best buttercream icing recipe
for 'the' layered rainbow cake

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 queeney

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yes, I've offered to help a friend make a layered rainbow cake recipe for get daughters birthday party. We are doing a trial on Monday next week but want to be well prepared.

Does anyone have a recipe they can share for the frosting, or any other tips and advice is welcome!

#2 winkwink

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

I believe that it's supposed to be 1 part butter to 2 parts icing sugar however I find that too much butter.  My DS had his birthday last week and I did 200g butter to 500g icing sugar plus a splash of vanilla extract for flavour and then a little milk to get to the right piping consistency.  That makes a fair bit of icing.  You also need to cream the butter well first until it's pale before adding the icing sugar.

#3 MarigoldMadge

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Fruit tingle icing!

I did my daughters rainbow cake with this icing, and it's awesome...

You need to use salted butter, to cut through the sugar of the fruit tingles a bit..

http://www.raspberricupcakes.com/2011/10/o...ngle-icing.html - I upscaled the ingredients by 1.5, as I had 8 layers - that's awesome icing... It comes across a bit yellow in the pictures, but it's not that yellow in reality.

However, if you want really white icing to make the rainbow colours stand out, you may want to use meringue icing.

You could also use this version, with all the sprinkles... great way to add to the whole colour aspect. http://www.raspberricupcakes.com/2011/11/p...inkle-cake.html

Tell your friend about this website too - it's a gay pride rainbow shop - we got all our napkins, streamers, ribbons, little cupcake flags, decorations etc from there... http://www.rainbowstore.com.au - very fast delivery, quite reasonable prices, and covered everything we needed for decorating the party.

Edited by haras1972, 18 February 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#4 HGL

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Swiss or italian buttercream is soooo much nicer than American buttercream.

It pipes beautifully and doesn't crust over.

If you google it you'll find videos and advice online.

I use 1:2:3 proportions by weight.
120g egg whites (~3-4 eggs)
240g caster sugar
360g unsalted butter
2tsp vanilla essence.

Cut butter into cubes and place on a plate. If quite hard, microwave on lowest setting for 20 sec blocks until soft.

Combine egg whites and sugar in heatproof bowl. Place over small saucepan of simmering water. Whisk egg whites gently over heat until temperature reaches 60 C and the sugar is dissolved. Remove bowl from saucepan and wipe water from outside of bowl. Tip egg whites into bowl of electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment and whip to firm peak stage. Mixture will be glossy and the bowl should be room temperature (not hot, not cold).

Change to the paddle attachment. While mixer is running at medium speed, add butter a cube at a time, waiting until each cube is incorporated before adding the next. If mix curdles or looks soupy, continuing mixing. Once all butter is added, keep mixing until frosting has reached a silky, meringue like consistency, approximately 5 minutes. If kitchen is warm, you may need to refridgerate mixture for approximately 15 minutes before using.

Keep in airtight container in refrigerator for up to one week, leaving out at room temperature when needed, rewhipping in mixer for 5 minutes.
Can freeze for up to 6-8 weeks. To thaw, place on counter overnight, and rewhip for 5 minutes with paddle attachment in an electric mixer.

** italian buttercream is very similar however you make a sugar syrup heated to 115 C then add slowwwwwly to whipped egg whites. Personally, I find the swiss is easier and less dangerous. French buttercream uses egg yolks and is very rich.

#5 Threelittleducks

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

200g softened unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 Tb vanilla extract
8 cups of pure icing sugar

Cream the butter, add the milk, vanilla and half the sifted icing sugar, beat for a couple of minutes, add the rest of the icing sugar and beat for another 3 minutes.
Add colouring (I used colouring paste and just added a little bit at a time to get the shade I liked) and mix

#6 Guest_*SnowFlower*_*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I was going to recommend swiss or italian buttercreams as well. They are less sweet than normal buttercream, hold together much better and do well in hot weather, unlike normal buttercream.

This is a good italian buttercream recipe: http://cakejournal.com/tutorials/how-to-ma...e-butter-cream/

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 18 February 2013 - 06:09 PM.

#7 eachschoolholidays

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

If you are making the layered rainbow cake, I would be wary of making buttercream icing.  Buttercream is a pale yellow / cream colour because of the butter.  When I made the cake, I made meringue icing.  The white highlights the different colours better.

#8 queeney

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Ahhh, lots to think about!
I have seen the meringue recipe used with them before so maybe that's why.
I guess I'll ask my friend and see what she wants to do. She told me today woolies have the ready made Betty Crocker icing in a tub on special, but I've never used it before, would that be suitable? Is it nice tasting?

#9 Bigfatbum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

[quote name='nlman' post='15338905' date='18/02/2013, 07:08 PM']If you are making the layered rainbow cake, I would be wary of making buttercream icing.  Buttercream is a pale yellow / cream colour because of the butter.  When I made the cake, I made meringue icing.  The white highlights the different colours better.[/

e, good butter creams can be bloomin darn white. Use the whitest butter you can find - lurpin I believe us the easiest one to find, I beat for at least 10 mins on the butter alone. Dump it in and walk away and then add a small squirt of Wilton's bright white.

Edited by Bigfatbum, 20 February 2013 - 02:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.