Rear for a year? What if bub is too big?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 3mummy3

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

My ds is 6.5mths old and it doesnt look like it will be too much longer before his shoulders reach the markers to be turned forward in his Meridian Tilt and Adjust.
So then do i ignore the markers or ignore the rear for a year advice?
I dont even think he is that tall really so not sure how babies are lasting a year or more rear facing in this kind of seat?

#2 Mootmoot

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

I didn't think it was that you had to turn them once they reach the line, just that you can't turn them beforehand.  DS has been in a the Meridian AHR and we only just turned him at nearly 12 months although he's been over the line (although still fitting in the chair in rear-facing mode) for months.

ETA: RACV explains it (for Victoria anyway):

The rules require that:
    Children aged under 6 months must use an approved, properly fastened and adjusted  rearward facing restraint.
    Children aged between 6 months and under 4 years must use an approved, properly fastened and adjusted rearward facing child restraint OR a forward facing restraint.
    Children aged between 4 years and under 7 years must use an approved, properly fastened and adjusted  forward facing restraint OR an approved booster seat which is properly positioned and fastened.

What can I do if my child is too big for the restraint for their age?
The laws aim to cater for the majority of children, however there is a provision to allow a child who is too heavy or tall for the recommended restraint to use the restraint in the next age category.

Edited by Joey11, 18 February 2013 - 04:01 PM.

#3 liveworkplay

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

I know nothing about that seat, but my 3.5 was 16 mths when we turned her around (old SNS Compaq DLX) She is on the 75th percentile for height. I though the new seats had a lot longer torso?

#4 Bluenomi

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

It will depend on his growth rate. If his legs can keep growing but his shoulders are still be at the same level,  you can keep him rear facing.

#5 TotesFeral

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Have you taken the insert out?

ETA the manual for that seat states once they are over that lower marker they have to be turned forward facing.

Edited by K+M+A+P, 18 February 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#6 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

You have to turn them. All 3 of mine out grew RF before 12 months. They reached the height and weight limit around 9/10 months. Shoulders were above the RF slot and they weighed more than the weight limit- 12kg.

#7 Ranunculus

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Maybe someone here will know, but this document from InfaSecure say you can continue to use the seat until the top of the label rather than the dotted line. I'm not sure if this applies to SnS seats or not.

#8 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

My DS when he was three years old could have RF in the Meridian AHR, he is small I admit but you should be able to get at least a year out of it.

Have you taken out the infant insert and moved the headrest up so that the shoulder straps are just above his shoulders?

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Check with SnS. Earlier models had lower height markers than current seats. You may be able to continue using longer with the current seat or get new covers with higher markers.

#10 blenheim

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Both my children are really tall - and they were both RF in the Meridian until 14 ish months.  I agree - have you taken out the insert and extended the headrest as much as possible?

#11 Bazinga

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

My meridian AHR I bought manufactured in early 2010 has a lower shoulder marker but no upper marker. They must face rearward when below that marker and should be turned once they hit 12kg or when the headrest was at maximum height.

My son reached 12kg at 15months and was 97% for his height.

The newer models have a lower and upper height marker to guide you but I would assume they would fit for at least 12 months.

Personally I would leave them rear facing if their height is fine as rear facing is safer anyway.

#12 IsolaBella

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

Bazinga if your seat has no upper height marker that it not right. The seat is meant to have both (as part of Aust Std requirements).

#13 3mummy3

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

OP here, well i feel a bit dumb!!!! Just checked my seat again after reading the replies here and i had not noticed the other label higher up with the upper shoulder height limit. I had only seen the bottom label saying :  must be rear facing when shoulders below this line, and just assumed that meant they must turn when they reach that!! The other label further up says: shoulders must be below this line!

So looks like there is still plenty of time until ds reaches that height!

Dont know why they dont put the labels innan easier place to see rather than tucked away behind the headrest?

#14 TotesFeral

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

OP I'm pretty sure that the second height marker is telling you when they need to move onto a booster. Has nothing to do with rf.

#15 Jamelex

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

For convertible RF/FF seats, there should be two markers. You should rear face until the baby's shoulders reach the bottom marker, then turn to forward facing. You then keep FFing until the child's shoulders reach the top marker, at which time you need to look at a convertible FF/booster (if you want to try keeping them in a 5 point harness longer) or a dedicated booster.
To the best of my knowledge, you should not continue RFing after the shoulders reach the bottom marker. It's why seats like the SnS Compaq are popular as they have quite high markers comparatively so they can stay RFing and then FF in a harness for longer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.