Really Angry
Epping RSPCA

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 *Ker*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

I was browsing Facebook tonight and found this:

Unfortunately due to fast approaching fires in the Whittlesea area this afternoon, RSPCA Epping had to be evacuated for safety reasons. We have just received reports from Whittlesea Council and the CFA who are on site that RSPCA Epping has been spared from damage despite coming within approximately 300 metres of our buildings. The RSPCA has deployed a team of Inspectors, Vets and Animal Services staff to the area this evening to ensure the welfare of all of animals and provide whatever assistance necessary to the local community. If you are in a bushfire affected area, please remain vigilant to ensure you and your animals safety. Keep an eye on the CFA's website and facebook page http://www.facebook.com/cfavic for updates in your area.

From their Facebook Page

They evacuated and LEFT THE ANIMALS THERE??? WTF? This is why I will NEVER AGAIN donate to the RSPCA. They only care about animals when TV crews are following them.

#2 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Well I'm assuming this was an unexpected evacuation and in which case they have to decide to save human life first. I would think they acted the best way they could under the circumstances. Sometimes in a bushfire, there isn't the time to 'think' about the best action. Sometimes you are ordered to act promptly and unexpectedly.

#3 fancie

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 18/02/2013, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They evacuated and LEFT THE ANIMALS THERE??? WTF? This is why I will NEVER AGAIN donate to the RSPCA. They only care about animals when TV crews are following them.

I read this as they deployed a team to check on the welfare of animals out in the community (that may have been left behind by their owners), not at the RSPCA shelter.

#4 *Ker*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Katakacpk @ 18/02/2013, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I'm assuming this was an unexpected evacuation and in which case they have to decide to save human life first. I would think they acted the best way they could under the circumstances. Sometimes in a bushfire, there isn't the time to 'think' about the best action. Sometimes you are ordered to act promptly and unexpectedly.

There is an ongoing discussion on their FB wall. Some RSPCA spokesperson said "we have evacuation plans for fires and floods that include the animals"...so why wasn't it used today???

QUOTE (fancie @ 18/02/2013, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read this as they deployed a team to check on the welfare of animals out in the community (that may have been left behind by their owners), not at the RSPCA shelter.

Nooo, they deployed a team (which took FIVE HOURS) to check the welfare of the animals AT THE SHELTER. That were left behind.

Those poor animals will be terrified!

#5 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

I understand your frustration but it wasn't the choice to leave without them, Police , CFA & council order staff and volunteers out and did not allow them to try and evacuate the animals.It's distressing looking from the outside in but would have been more distressing for staff to leave them behind through no choice.

#6 *Ker*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

My point is, at first warning, doors should have been closed and animals in vans, ready to go. Apparently they do not have a large number of animals there. Then, then evacuation was ordered, it should have been "humans into the vans, go WITH THE ANIMALS".

Their motto is "all creatures great and small"...is that only when there's not a natural disaster?

#7 protart roflcoptor

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

Did they have first warnings? Did they have vans?

#8 *Ker*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Yes, they had warning. Hours earlier. RSPCA staff said that. They have vans, they have animal control vans and they have animal ambulances.

#9 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

There was such little warning no one thought it would go that direction, I live 10 minutes from the fire and all I can hear are the helicopters and emergency services racing by my house, the fire is huge there is not much they could have done they got told 3 minutes before being order to leave to be on stand by and no animals to be evacuated. Again was not their choice that was taken from them by the Police, CFA & Council. If you want to blame someone blame the people that ordered for the animals not to be evacuated not the staff that had no choice.

#10 Lokum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (protart roflcoptor @ 18/02/2013, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did they have first warnings? Did they have vans?

People lost houses with no warnings. It was a very fast fire (s), which caught lots of people by surprise. If they were ordered to evacuate immediately, that's what they had to do.

I'd be 'Really Angry' if, when ordered to evacuate immediately, they put CFA lives at risk, or caused risk or harm to others because they spent time trying to load animals into vehicles. Leave immediately means that. Some people didn't get to evacuate - they got 'it is now too late to leave,' with nothing before that.

This is a silly post, unless you were there.

#11 *Ker*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

I am not blaming the staff working on the desks, nor the volunteers. I am blaming the heads of the RSPCA that should have had a fire plan that included getting the animals OUT.

#12 *Ker*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

ONE home was lost. RSPCA staff said they had first warning 3 hours prior to evacuation.

#13 Guest_*SnowFlower*_*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

m

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 21 February 2013 - 04:10 AM.

#14 protart roflcoptor

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (Lokum @ 18/02/2013, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People lost houses with no warnings. It was a very fast fire (s), which caught lots of people by surprise. If they were ordered to evacuate immediately, that's what they had to do.

I'd be 'Really Angry' if, when ordered to evacuate immediately, they put CFA lives at risk, or caused risk or harm to others because they spent time trying to load animals into vehicles. Leave immediately means that. Some people didn't get to evacuate - they got 'it is now too late to leave,' with nothing before that.

This is a silly post, unless you were there.

Ummm, I was responding to the OP who said they should have evacuated at first warning and had the animals in vans. I was just asking if they actually had both warnings and vans.

#15 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

3 hours prior the fire started no one expected it to move so quickly, the northern hospital got the same warning at the same time as RSPCA to be on stand by, they did not get a 3 hour warning for stand by. That area is huge and very dry and grass dense its a lot of paddock. Sorry but in all honesty this has nothing to do with Evac plans. I don't understand wat part of they were ordered to leave the animals behind that isn't being understood, how is that the fault of anyone at the RSPCA when they did not make the Order?

Just to add this fire has stretched from donnybrook to campbellfield and epping, they trying to stop it hitting thomastown, lalor, reservoir, fawkner, craigieburn etc which is high residential and industrial population as well as a major power site.

Edited by YellowKittyGlenn, 18 February 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#16 Lokum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 18/02/2013, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ONE home was lost. RSPCA staff said they had first warning 3 hours prior to evacuation.

Sorry, I heard an earlier report of more than 1 house, now it's 1 house and some buildings.

#17 *Ker*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

The RSPCA loves to tell people what to do...and one of those is "have a bushfire plan that includes your animals". Good. People do need to include them. But then, they turn and don't do what they're telling everyone else to? They leave the animals, in the cages, and hope the fire doesn't reach them?

What kind of evacuation plan is THAT? The RSPCA spokesperson themselves said they had evac plans for fire and flood. Well, not very good ones, it seems.

#18 petals1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

1 house or 2 . Does it matter in this context? What would you have had them do? Stay behind and risk their own and firefighters lives to make you happy that they had done enough? Weird post is weird.

#19 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

Ker I usually love you but what part  is not understood that staff were ordered NOT to Evac animals, this was NOT an order from RSPCA head office but by external authorities? What isn't understood that the change of direction came from no where? It's not as cut and dry as your wanting to make it. What do you want them to do when the decision is made by an external authority and not the organization themselves?

#20 Lokum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (protart roflcoptor @ 19/02/2013, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ummm, I was responding to the OP who said they should have evacuated at first warning and had the animals in vans. I was just asking if they actually had both warnings and vans.

I didn't think yours was a silly post, sorry. I meant to say this is a silly thread (from the OP), unless she was there.

#21 Bridandzar

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

What makes me angry is this post!!!!  OMG it is so easy to sit behind a computer or a tv and judge everyone.  When you are not in the situation and don't know what actually happened, you don't have all the facts so don't be so quick to blame people.  I work for one of the emergency services in Victoria and I see it everyday our service being judged and people saying what we should have done, but just remember looking from the outside you don't have all the facts and know what pressures people were under.

#22 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Bridandzar @ 19/02/2013, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What makes me angry is this post!!!!  OMG it is so easy to sit behind a computer or a tv and judge everyone.  When you are not in the situation and don't know what actually happened, you don't have all the facts so don't be so quick to blame people.  I work for one of the emergency services in Victoria and I see it everyday our service being judged and people saying what we should have done, but just remember looking from the outside you don't have all the facts and know what pressures people were under.

Facts and EB posts? What planet are you from?

#23 Bridandzar

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:23 PM

Sorry that I would hope that people think about issues before standing on there very big soap box, I haven't been on this site for a while and I am now remembering why!!

#24 *Ker*

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (YellowKittyGlenn @ 18/02/2013, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ker I usually love you but what part  is not understood that staff were ordered NOT to Evac animals, this was NOT an order from RSPCA head office but by external authorities? What isn't understood that the change of direction came from no where? It's not as cut and dry as your wanting to make it. What do you want them to do when the decision is made by an external authority and not the organization themselves?

I'm assuming they left in vehicles and not on foot. So why were the animals not loaded at the first sign of trouble. What are they going to be told? Get all the animals out of the vehicles before you leave? uhhh...NO! Then every living creature would have been perfectly safe.

The dogs are outside. The fire came within 300 metres of the buildings. Their runs and kennels would have been full of smoke and ash. Great for their health. Then the stupid RSPCA management would not let the staff in (not even to take a LOOK) until they got the animal control officers and vets to get there. That took FIVE hours.

QUOTE (Bridandzar @ 18/02/2013, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I damn well WILL judge the RSPCA. They kill SO many animals every year, not sick animals, healthy, adoptable animals. They turn a blind eye to so many puppy mills, like the one in Adelaide that was appalling and ran for years.

I've rescued over 120 dogs and NOT ONE has been euthanased. I have spent 6 months rehabilitating a single dog to get it to an adoptable state. The RSPCA won't. They're government funded. I am privately funded.

So yes, I will judge them till I'm blue in the face.

#25 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

PP I 100% behind our emergency services and their job first and fire most is to protect human life, I think the RSPCA is taking an unfair bashing for following orders that was out of their control, with the pace the fire is going all the services are putting in a huge effort to limit loss. It makes me stabby when people don't realise that sometimes there is no room to move in these kinds of situations. Lets face it with little warning that the fire is on the door step when it was going the other direction trying to evacuate staff and 100 animals would have taken longer then the time they had and would have put at risk more lives.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.