Quackery or legit?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

Title says it all..........

#2 TopsyTurvy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:54 AM

I've had cupping done regularly for nearly a year now.

I get terrible tension in my neck and shoulders and see a masseuse for remedial massage.  The first time she did the cupping I was a bit skeptical, but the difference to the muscle pain and knots was amazing after she removed them.

I think it really helps.

#3 elmo_mum

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

i love it!

it hurts, but does relieve pain
get it done right and there are no maks!

#4 qak

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

I have seen some really bad marks, which looked permanent to me. I would be very cautious!

#5 TopsyTurvy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

I do get these perfectly round marks, they look like bruises, but they fade after a few days.

#6 wilding

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

It's the only thing that works on my back pain, at the start I bruised quite bad, over time it got less, something to do with toxins leaving the body.

#7 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

My husband has it done regularly - he swears by it.  I'm keen to try...

#8 lucky 2

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

I had it years ago when I had some sort of respiratory infection and I was better by morning, it was dramatic enough for me to remember (? 20 yrs ago).
I did get bruising but it was completely painless and resolved quickly.
I haven't had it again but I would if I thought about it, I don't know that it was the cupping that did the trick but it was pretty impressive from my pov.

#9 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

See - I thought this was about periods.

laughing2.gif

I don't know about the other kind.

#10 chookpea

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

TopsyTurvy, my neck and shoulders are really bad too.  Even weekly massages only offer temporary relief.  I didn't realise cupping can help.  How do they do the neck though?

Is it possible to be cupped and not have bruising?  I thought it came part and parcel with the procedure.

#11 Tigerdog

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (wilding @ 19/02/2013, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's the only thing that works on my back pain, at the start I bruised quite bad, over time it got less, something to do with toxins leaving the body.

This is rubbish.  No topical, external treatment will result in any internal toxins leaving the body.  You've been fed a load of craptrap - people also believe this about sweating it out at Bikram yoga, too - toxins may leave the body in sweat but it can happen with any physical extertion, not just yoga or whatever happens to be trendy at the moment!

Edited by Tigerdog, 19 February 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#12 Oriental lily

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

It sounds so kinky lol.
I have considered getting it done but like most alternative medicines I get turned of by pseudo science behind it.
Things like 'marks are due to toxins leaving the body' is simply illogical and incorrect.

It just annoys me.

#13 starsg

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

I've had cupping done by a TCM practitioner and a (highly qualified non-quacky type) physio and it's been very helpful in relieving my back pain. Neither of them said anything about getting rid of toxins though- it was more about increasing blood flow to the affected area to help muscles heal and get everything moving properly again.

#14 wilding

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (Tigerdog @ 19/02/2013, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is rubbish.  No topical, external treatment will result in any internal toxins leaving the body.  You've been fed a load of craptrap - people also believe this about sweating it out at Bikram yoga, too - toxins may leave the body in sweat but it can happen with any physical extertion, not just yoga or whatever happens to be trendy at the moment!

Each to their own, you might think it's crap, but it heals my body and i'm sticking to it. That's the beauty of life, we are all free to think what we like. Of course people will take my one comment and run with it, I'm not that stupid.

Edited by wilding, 19 February 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#15 Oriental lily

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Wilding deep massage in different forms ( cuppings is a deep massage using a vacuume method) is known by the medicine fraternity to assist in the a management and recovery of muscular injuries and decongestion.

However why oh why do they need to describe the mechanics of this in a incorrect way is absurd.

If you read on a back of a paracetomal packet that the active ingredients works by 'blowing the pain out of your ears' peope would laugh hysterically.

The same way it's ridiculous tin saying that a vacuume can draw toxins from the tissues out of the skin. And these toxins form marks that suspiciously look like marks caused by broken capillaries, or bruises or very large hickeys.

So personally I would preffer a deep massage given without all the mystical pseudo science clap trap.

By a physio.

#16 Mazzle_Dazzle

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

in my personal experience... I have found it great...

I have been having accupuncture appointments lately where i have a cupping treatment, which starts with a massage with the cup/vacuum being moved back and forth around the main point of pain on my upper back and then she applies about 8 cups in the area and left to relax for a while. Then these are removed, given a light massage, then she uses accupuncture needles for the 2nd half of the appointment ...

I find it really helpful, i have needed a few sessions to get a result... for my tight & straigned neck, shoulders and upper back (breastfeeding and screentime being a major trigger) and weak knees. -

My therapist mentioned that the marks - yes - bruises (or hickies!) are diagnostic - the longer the marks stay, the longer and deep the issues of strain and knots are ...
She explained it that the vacuum lifts the skin up into it, alowing the blood to flow to the area below more freely..?!

for me (!) the first session, the marks were there for a little over a week,
the second session, the marks were there just on a week - with one particular problem spot marking the longest.
and my third session, the marks were gone in just a few days!

hope that helps op.

#17 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

I like the description of the bruising as hickies.  Takes me back to uni days and a certain young man......

#18 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

The power of the placebo effect in full force.

#19 wilding

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Duffy29 @ 19/02/2013, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the description of the bruising as hickies.  Takes me back to uni days and a certain young man......

dev (6).gif

#20 Cyaira

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

My physio used "cupping" but I don't think he used it like most or in the traditional sense. He used these small vacuum cups to 'lift' and reach my really deep muscles off the bone by running the cups up and down. (calves, if relevant). It was only for a few minutes, no bruising, but quite painful.

This was combined with heat, tens and massage therapy.

It worked very well and he's a quite a reputable physio so I tend to think in this case it was *not* a placebo.

#21 kez71

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

ive never had it done, therefore can't comment however I find it interesting that so many people will pooh pooh something that they have never experienced. A lot of the ancient chinese methods of medicine have been used for hundreds of years with great results. Just because Science hasn't figured out how they work yet, doesn't mean they aren't effective. People used to scorn at accupuncture (some still do) but science has shown that actually, it can and does work. I conceived with IVF and they recommend accupuncture as part of the course as studies have shown that there are better results with it. Thats just one example.

so is cupping rubbish? No idea, but its always possible that it does work, especially when you see people say its helped them

#22 snortle

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

-

Edited by snortle, 20 May 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#23 Curly Wurly

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

ve never had it done, therefore can't comment however I find it interesting that so many people will pooh pooh something that they have never experienced. A lot of the ancient chinese methods of medicine have been used for hundreds of years with great results. Just because Science hasn't figured out how they work yet, doesn't mean they aren't effective. People used to scorn at accupuncture (some still do) but science has shown that actually, it can and does work. I conceived with IVF and they recommend accupuncture as part of the course as studies have shown that there are better results with it. Thats just one example

I have to second this post.  I had been to the Gyno for years to try and fix my periods. Within a couple of months of having acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine, my periods were fixed.

#24 librablonde

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have had cupping and acupuncture by a TCM practitioner and had fantastic results. The terrible pain in my neck and shoulders was totally gone from the cupping and the acupuncture regulated my menstrual cycle. I feel frustrated when people mock "alternative" medicines simply b/c some practitioners give the whole industry a dodgy name. TCM has been really positive for me.

#25 purplekitty

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (kez71 @ 19/02/2013, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
. People used to scorn at accupuncture (some still do) but science has shown that actually, it can and does work. I conceived with IVF and they recommend accupuncture as part of the course as studies have shown that there are better results with it. Thats just one example.
I think you'll find that the latest research (not IVF)shows that acupuncture doesn't work when it is tested in proper blinded trials.

As for cupping why would it work,interestingly traditionally it was often also combined with bloodletting.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.