Am I doing something wrong?
Or just a phase..

5 replies to this topic

#1 A+L+M

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hi..    
I'm just after some advice regarding my 7.5 month old son suddenly waking through the night. I realise it may just be a phase and he wants to try out his new tricks (crawling rolling, etc) whenever he's awake, but if anyone has any tips or tricks to try that I haven't thought of, it would be greatly appreciated original.gif

He has slept 12 hours overnight with no problems self settling since about 10 weeks old, so of course DH and I have gotten used to this, but for the last couple of weeks he has been waking at 4 am every morning. He is still tired, as soon as I pick him up he goes straight back to sleep, but if I try to put him back in his cot he cries, then it takes at least an hour to get him settled back in his cot. I change his nappy if needed, offer him a feed but he's not interested.

He currently has 2-3 naps a day, first 2 can be anywhere from an hour to 2 hours and if he has a third, it is usually just a 30 min catnap before dinner. He has the same bedtime routine of bath, massage, breastfeed, story or quiet play then bed at around 7:30-8ish and we have no trouble getting him to go to bed.

#2 elizabethany

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

I would give him a bit of time (maybe 5 - 10 minutes) when he wakes to see if he goes back to sleep by himself.  Of course, if he gets distresseed, go straight in.

DS often woke himself by moving around in his cot and getting cold, so we used sleeping bags to fix that.

#3 Tigerdog

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Sorry, no help here, I have a 20-month-old and a 4-year-old, the 4-year-old has rarely slept through the night since birth and the younger one never has.  Ever.  They both end up in my bed every night as they wake multiple times each night in their own beds.  I think you've had it pretty lucky up until now.  Some kids are just like that.

Edited by Tigerdog, 19 February 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#4 mandala

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I also think he might be cold. I would suggest you add a blanket when you go to bed or put any fans on a timer so they turn off by 3am.

I would leave DS for as long as I could without him getting very upset when he woke early. He would often go back to sleep if I gave him long enough.

#5 Jenferal

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

My thought is cold as well. Possibly thirst if it's a hot night.

#6 FlamingoG

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

I'm afraid I have no advice, but will be watching with interest as my 7m DD is doing quite similar things - more like waking at 1, but same responses. Hopefully it's a phase they're going through...

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.