Brownies (as in the Girl Guide organisation, not the cake)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KnightsofNi

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I am looking for an extra curricular activity for my 4.9 yo DD. She has done dancing and kindergym previously, but she got bored of both.

So I am considering Brownies for when she turns 5. I figure that they don't always do the same thing and it would keep her interested. She also likes craft, cooking, camping, sports - so all the things I understand Brownies to do.

Does anyone's DD do Brownies? What is it like?

I did Brownies as a girl and I loved it! I remember it helped build my social skills and confidence and they operated by a good set of values. But I also remember it being a religious organisation, and as a non religious family, I need to consider how religious it would be (we are okay with DD being exposed to religion, but don't want it forced upon her). Any insight?

How do you find a group? Can she watch for a couple of weeks or try it out for a couple of weeks to see if she likes it? What are the costs involved? Do parents stay?

Thanks for any information you can give.

#2 mum2twogirls

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

My 6 y.o daughter does girl guides ( no longer brownies in Vic - but same anyway).

She actually started in kinder when she was 5 years.

It is great idea - every week they are doing a new activity.  Whether it be crafts, cooking, nature ect,
She also attended a camp last year!
Her confidence & social skills have improved as well

I'm suRe you would be welcome to trial the group for a few weeks until she knows if that is want she wants to do.  We were allowed to do this.

In regards to cost - I just paid my annual girl guides registration to guides Victoria - $125
There are also the weekly costs that cover marterials - ours is $3.00

Religion -we are not religious as well .. I have not found it to be a problem

.... I think I stayed for the first session but no longer do ... But throughout the year there are many opportunities to celebrate together ...mothers/fathers day

Edited by mum2twogirls, 19 February 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#3 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

its not a religious organization but they do promise to god and thats as much religion that is in it.

I did gumnuts, brownies, guides, rangers & venturers so the whole shebang, not all units are the same some will do lots some dont do much, if you want high activity find one that does camps, day trips etc.

Fun fact the Queen was a Girl Guide and still heavily involved in the UK. Not sure if the agreement still stands but guides used to be able to take free summer tours of buckingham palace, the tour is usually £25

Edited by YellowKittyGlenn, 19 February 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#4 HGL

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

The Guides removed God from their pledge last year so they're certainly less religious then previously. I think (without attending recently) that it's much more about general 'civics' (being a good citizen, helping others etc) than ideals exclusive to religion.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/god-...9-1226418333658

As an agnostic I'd have no problems with my girls attending Guides (but then again, I'm happy for my children to experience other religions so they can develop their own beliefs). I don't want to force my agnostism on them either.

#5 nzmum

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think it will depend on the leaders. My memories of Brownies are pretty luke warm, but my 9 year old now goes and they do the most fabulous things. I'd definitely recommend ours anyway!

#6 linnieloo62

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Girl Guides is not a religious organisation and has over 10 million members in over 145 countries around the world. Both the reference to God and the Queen were recently removed from the Australian Promise and Law and girls are encouraged to 'develop their beliefs' and 'to serve the community and Australia'. My daughter has been attending for nearly 4 years, and I think the program is wonderful for girls - so much that I became a Leader a few years ago.

#7 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

My DD did Brownies and Guides until starting high school. the experience depends very much on the leaders. From memory we were able to attend 1 or 2 meetings as a trial period to see how it all worked. Parents were not encouraged to hang around at first but there were plenty of opportunities to participate in other activities.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.