School catchment areas/zoning

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Born Slippy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Is there any easy way (other than approaching each school individually) to determine which school catchment area or zone you fall into?

Thank you.

#2 TopsyTurvy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

I too would love to know original.gif

My google searches have failed in this regard.

#3 libbylu

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm pretty sure in Vic it is your closest school as the crow flies.  So you can get out a ruler and the Melway and start measuring!
Google maps will give you distance to each school via road, which in many cases will be similar, and good enough, unless you are really close to half way between.
Once you have established the school you think you are zoned for then it would pay to give the office a call and have them check.

#4 CallMeFeral

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

In NSW there is a number you call, and they tell you which school you belong to. I have no idea what the number is though!

#5 Dionysus

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

In SA, you just have to look on the DECD website.

I know that is a bit too advanced for the VIC Ed dept though  wink.gif

Seriously, I don't know why they make it so hard for you guys   LOL

I would ring your closest school and ask them.  They could probably say 'Not us, you are in X zone' or whatever

#6 Born Slippy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (**Mel** @ 19/02/2013, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In SA, you just have to look on the DECD website.

I know that is a bit too advanced for the VIC Ed dept though  wink.gif

Seriously, I don't know why they make it so hard for you guys   LOL

I would ring your closest school and ask them.  They could probably say 'Not us, you are in X zone' or whatever

Well that sounds lovely and straightforward for everyone in SA. Shame VIC can't do the same!

We are currently living in a different area (> an hour) to the one I am interested in for when the time comes. From my investigations so far, it appears not all schools are zoned. Or at least if they are - they don't make that clear on their websites.

#7 TheGreenSheep

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

There is absolutely no zoning where we live. You put in your application and away you go! Surprised me as I grew up in NSW and you had to go where you zoned or go private.

I'd personally ring the school and find out. They're not backwards in coming forwards especially if it is in demand.

#8 Dionysus

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

I have to admit to having a private smirk the first time I read a VIC parent on here trying to work out school zones.  Just look at the website, I thought.  

As a teacher, I know my way around ed dept websites - or so I thought.  LOL

In SA, all schools have zones, but not all enforce them each year.  It changes depending on the demographic and projected enrolments for the area.  A lot of schools will have 'zone not currently enforced' either on their website or in their Annual Report if you care to dig a bit deeper.

Not sure about other states but, from stories on here, it seems that all/most VIC and NSW schools have tightly held zones.

#9 lucky 2

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

They are not all zoned, ours only became zoned this year because we've reached capacity, so I suppose you do have to call the ones you are interested in.
Even if they are zoned you could ask them about enrollments, cant hurt.
All the best.

#10 WibbleWobble

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Some schools have a zoning map listed on their website. What area do you need information on? Maybe a member might know the answer.

#11 IsolaBella

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

Our local primary school has their zoning on their website

#12 The Old Feral

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Many Vic schools aren't zoned and you can just choose to enrol regardless of where you live.

The ones that are have applied to the Dept to be, due to capacity issues. They will usually say so on their website if this is the case, and either link to a map or invite you to call.

As a pp said, generally when an enrolment cap is first applied it limits enrolments to those kids for whom the school is closest as the crow flies... some of the very popular and high performing schools in the eastern and SE suburbs have had to bring their boundary in further.

It's not an easy system to navigate!

#13 Born Slippy

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

It appears (after some investigating) that one of the four primary schools in the area have a strict zone - seemingly due to capacity issues. A Melways map with big texta outline is provided on the website. I will need to investigate this further of course, just to double check what the individual school policies are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.