Tonsillitis and ear infections? Ears Again :( *update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mum2jp

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

*update* 22/2

Took DS back to the gp today as his temp is up again and he has been on antibiotics for three days now. So his tonsillitis is clearing but he now has an ear infection in BOTH ears that has developed while on the medication. So gp has swapped medications and started him on another course of antibitoics. This is just crazy sad.gif. On a positive note i asked about the ENT and gp agreed it would be worth review, so i have a letter and just rang. The have an apointment avaliable march 14th so hopefully we get somewhere then because i can't keep pumping him full of anitbiotics, panadol and nurofen. It really worries me how much medication and how often he is having it. Thanks for the advice.

Original post below:

How often is normal for kids to have them. DS is 2 and is always getting sick. This year already he has had an ear infection and is on his second bout of tonsillitis. We are onto our third course of antibiotics and February hasn't even finished yet. He saw an ENT when he was 12 months old because he had recurrent ear infections from about 5 months but she said his ears were ok. I really don't like giving him so much antibiotics and have raised my concerns with the GP who said he is fine and these are common illnesses in young children. I feel so bad for him, he always gets really bad temps with them so he feels crap for days. We would honestly easily have at least 10 courses of antibiotics a year maybe even more I lose count. Is this normal or even ok to have so much?

Edit to add update to original post

Edited by mum2jp, 22 February 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#2 eachschoolholidays

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

I would be taking him back to the ENT or getting a referral to another.  That doesn't fit within bounds of normal for me.

Both of my children have had grommets and one has had her adenoids out.  The best thing we have ever done!!  One they had grommets in, the ear infections stopped.

#3 Jenflea

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Honestly, it sounds excessive to me to be sick THAT much. It's also a lot for  young child to cope with and would possibly affect his walking and balance etc so I'd be going back or seeing a diff doctor.
I was told 4 or 5 colds a YEAR is normal, but AB's 10 times in a year is an awful lot.
how were his ears checked? My DD had a hearing check which used a machine to test the ear drum and check for glue ear etc. If the ENT just looked it may not have been a good enough examination. But I'm no expert!

#4 mum2jp

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Yes she only looked in his ears she didn't use any kind of machine. I think i will make another appointment with the ENT. If I have gone once with an original referral can I call and make another appointment directly or do I need another referral?

#5 Carmen02

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:23 AM

you can just call and make another appointment, but to be honest ill be looking for another one!! If your in melb I have a fantastic one..good luck it sounds like something should be done to help!! my 2yr old had grommets in the day after his birthday

#6 ziggy72

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

We suffered through constant illness, high temps accompanying a "throat infection' AKA tonsilitus for several winters. He had an OK year (ie. only 5-6 doses of ABX) so when we saw ENT and he offerred to remove tonsils and adenoids due to breathing issues at night we hesitated. Next winter 5 bouts of tonislitus/scarlett fever between Aug and Nov and we were done. GP said it was a good decision as he had dropped from 75% to 25% in height and that is a common occurance. Poor thing couldn't sleep due to enlarged tonsils even when not sick and barely ate as it always hurt.

It was the best thing we ever did. Since then (2yrs) has had 1-2 cold in total and a temp of 38.2 once.

#7 hodgepodge

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

You need another ENT!

My DS was getting ear infections/tonsillitis a few times a year so no alarm bells rang.
We noticed his hearing was deteriorating and his snoring increased at around 4 and a half.  A hearing test showed he was almost deaf due to fluid behind the ear drum and the ENT diagnosed sleep apnea. Two months later his adenoids and tonsils are out and grommets in and he is a new child.

Everything has improved - it is well worth seeking a second opinion original.gif

#8 Kant Anchor Us

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Last year DD (1 at the time) had tonsilitis 4x in 3 months, and about 7 ear infections. We have a referral to an ENT but we are low priority.

#9 Logical nonsense

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

He may just be an ear child,

I had so many as a child, I did burst my drums a few times, helped with grommets.
Could it be that he is picking the tonsillitis up from other people that don't have any symptoms??

I had it 3 times in 2 months in high school & it was hell, the doctor said I had to have it at least 5 times before considering taking them out.

Talk again to the ENT, he may just need grommets & stronger antibiotics to really clear the infection. Get yourself checked so you don't have the bacteria & give it to him.
(Not trying to be rude, it has happened before)

#10 mad madam mim

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

I was told that if they have more than 5 bouts of tonsillitis a year then they will look at removing them (my ds2 hit 4 times a year).

#11 mum2jp

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

*update* 22/2

Took DS back to the gp today as his temp is up again and he has been on antibiotics for three days now. So his tonsillitis is clearing but he now has an ear infection in BOTH ears that has developed while on the medication. So gp has swapped medications and started him on another course of antibitoics. This is just crazy sad.gif . On a positive note i asked about the ENT and gp agreed it would be worth review, so i have a letter and just rang. The have an apointment avaliable march 14th so hopefully we get somewhere then because i can't keep pumping him full of anitbiotics, panadol and nurofen. It really worries me how much medication and how often he is having it. Thanks for the advice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.