Bulk-billing Doctors

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SezySairs

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

I'm considering changing my doctor....quite simply, I've just moved to Perth, and I had such a fantastic doctor in Brisbane, who'd been my doctor for the past 7 or 8 years.  The only doctor I've seen over here only private charges and I just don't agree with having to pay when we have the medicare system in place.  I'm not 100% happy with him anyway - he's very different to my old doctor, and I just don't really connect with him.

I'd like recommendations for doctors, preferably bulk-billing, on the northside of Perth (I'm in the Wanneroo area).  A doctor who isn't afraid to give me all the information, good or bad.  

Thanks for your help!! original.gif

#2 Melie

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I may be wrong but I have found most of the doctors around me (Duncraig area) don't bulk bill I am not sure if this is the case across all of Perth???

The clinic I go to only bulk bills health care card patients or children. They do put the charge through and claim the medicare rebate at the counter so I don't have to pay the full amount which definitely makes it easier.

Good luck finding a new Doctor I had to go through the process last year.

Melanie

#3 littlesuzie

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Prendiville Ave Medical Centre in Ocean Reef has some good doctors. They always fit children in if you're worried, even if they are fully booked.  They only bulk bill children under the age of 6 and healthcare card holders though.  You'll be hard pressed to find a 100% bulk billing practice these days I think.

#4 Wallymaduka

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

There's a large banner on Wanneroo Rd that says 'Bulk Billing Doctor' (assuming it's not the normal 'only for cildren and adults on health care cards' type.  I'll get the number next time I'm driving past and pm it to you original.gif  

Otherwise I can highly recommend a fantastic doctor in Joondalup?  She bulk bills at her own discretion (both DD & I are bulk billed).  She has a great reputation, and is absolutely lovely.

Edited by 808state, 23 February 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#5 boysescakes

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Sorrento medical centre bulk bills everyone.  Some lovely drs too.  They are on harman rd in Sorrento. ph 92461455

#6 Jupiter

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

I would suggest looking at healthengine.com.au and seeing if any recommended here are participating practices.

I have no affiliation with that site but it has helped me out twice now. So easy to find an appointment.

#7 kay11

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

I've been finding it really hard to find a good local GP in Perth since moving back from over East 12 months ago. I've continued with a GP I saw from a decade ago a few suburbs over, but she doesn't bulk bill and is difficult to get in to. The local ones I've tried haven't really been working out and although a few have bulk billed children, I haven't come across any that bulk bill adults. Very different from the suburbs of Sydney where I used to live.

#8 mused

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

I second the suggestion for Sorrento Medical Centre, we see Dr Soloman and he is lovely, great bedside manner and very happy to talk to you rather than just prescribe and dismiss like many others.

#9 SezySairs

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

That sounds promising mused - that's the type of doctor I'm after.  My doctor back in Brisbane was exactly like that, and since he'd known me and my background (both medical and my educational), he was always willing to discuss things that perhaps he wouldn't have with the 'lay-person'.  I'll look into Sorrento - I don't mind the short drive...I was driving 45 minutes to see my old doctor, LOL.

808state, I would also be interested in your doctor in Joondalup.  Could you please let me know her details?

Thanks for the tip Jupiter...I'll check out that website too original.gif

#10 miss*k

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

Depending on the time of day Whitfords Ave Medical Centre also has bulk billing appts.

Perilya Ave Medical Centre (cragie) also bulk bills all appt (although I wouldn't go there unless it was a last resort)

#11 Guest_Lilybird_*

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

I used to live in the ocean reef area, and don't remember ever being bulk billed. In Perth it is definately not the norm to bulk bill patients.

I now live sor now so am not much help, but there are 2 doctors close to me that are fully bulk billed practices. However I don't think I will change, as I love my gp too much!

As pp have said, generally doctors only bulk bill children and health care card holders .... I didn't realise until I read your post that this is something different to the rest of Australia!

#12 HGL

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

In my experience, the bulk billing doctors I've been too are pretty awful. They try and see as many patients as possible which often results in a 3 minute appointment and they hurry you out as quickly as possible.

Bulk billing doctors tend to move around a lot so you can miss out on that continuity of care.

Thankfully I'm in good health so only have to visit a dr once a year. When I do go, I'd much rather pay the $ to see a doctor who actually listens, takes their time and explains things.

It still costs me less than having my nails done.

#13 Glowworm80

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Brighton Beach Medical Center in Merriwa bulk bills most appointments except after 2.30pm I think. The doctors there are really good. And often can get an appointment quickly especially for kids. They have a pathology lab in the rooms. There is also a pharmacy next door who is also really good and well priced and a great dentist practise next door to that.

#14 Fabulous

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

I went to the Sorrento medical centre yesterday (only appointment I could find nearby on the public holiday). I had quite bad tonsillitis but I swear it was the shortest medical appointment I have ever had. It was the first time I have been bulk billed in 20 years.

About 10 years ago the govt. introduced an incentive for GP's to bulk bill kids u/16 and as a result many were doing it. Gradually the GP's seem to be cutting back on this, making it only for certain times and now many are doing it just for u/5's. A lot of places don't even bulk bill HCC holder

#15 Wallymaduka

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

808state, I would also be interested in your doctor in Joondalup. Could you please let me know her details?

Just PM'd you the bulk billing Dr on Wanneroo Rd - will send another message with the Dr mentioned in Joondalup.  in other words - disregrd the first PM original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.