Why do Teachers keep test papers?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sydney75

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

I want to know why teachers dont give back the test papers that the school kids do at school?

My year 6 son, just did a test two weeks ago and has been allocated to maths groups today. The teacher wont give any test papers back? We saw the teacher today and asked about test papers and she says, no they wont give back test papers.

This has been happening for so many years that we never get to see the test the kids do. I would like to see what maths problems he has so we can address it. I did tell the teacher that i would like to know if he has any weakness and she keeps saying he is fine.

So do you get to see your childrens test papers?

Edited by mercedez, 19 February 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#2 SeaPrincess

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

They don't give them back because they use the same one each year.  Wouldn't want anyone to have an advantage by studying up on big bro/sis test from a previous year.

#3 Niamh23

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

I assume they are giving the papers back in class, then collecting them once the kids have had a look?

#4 kpingitquiet

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:48 AM

My schools always required a parent to sign off on graded tests and return them, via the student, to the teacher. I thought that was pretty sensible.

#5 Coffeegirl

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Depends on the test and what the school is using it for.    

At our school they have a number of different tests.  Some are returned, some are not.

Assesment tests are usually not returned as they really have no bearing on the day-to-day work.  They are simply a tool that the teacher uses to see where your child sits in that subject. Your child is not expected to know and get every question correct.  They usually do a few of these at the beginning of each year.

Tests during the year are often reviewd and marked by the children during class time, so they can see where they had issues and they can be discussed.  These are often sent home in the school bags.

Final tests are not usually returned and are marked by the teacher.  They are then kept on file for end of year reporting.

#6 Who is me

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:13 AM

Generally I would have kept all tests until all children (some children may have been away the day it was done) had completed the test, and all of them had been marked. Exam papers are kept to use as practice papers, but answer sheets would be returned.
The only reason I can think of that they wouldn't be returned is that they reuse the tests in following years. For something like a maths test, this would seem quite likely, as each year they would learn the same things.

#7 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

If schools are reusing tests, then giving them back isn't possible. The lengths that some tutors will go to get copies of tests is astounding (giving students free tutoring if they use their phones to take photos.)

I work in a year 11 and 12 school and we go keep assessment items for two reasons. 1, for moderation to use the work to compare when grading happens. 2, because tutors keep copies of all the assessments that we do allow home it means we can never use those questions again given it would advantage students with the unscrupulous tutors.

While not all primary schools would be the same, there definintely would be some primary schools where this goes on as well.

However, even as a year 11 and 12 school if a parent requested to view the paper we would allow this. They might not be able to take it home, but they could view it in our presence. For us, given the students are older, we always given the papers to the students to review, check the marking, ask any questions and then return to us in the same lesson.

#8 sydney75

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

ok now i understand. I just wish i could see his results which they wont even mention.

Back in my days the schools always gave every single test results back.

#9 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

For tests this early in the year it is probably for diagnostic reasons and not assessment reasons. In which case it might just be simpler for them if parents don't know the results.

#10 elizabethany

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

I know for older kids (senior school and up), it is also so they have a record if the marks get contested.

At University level, we are required to keep marked assessments until 2 years after that student has graduated.  Considering that people do part time or defer, we often keep them for between 7 and 10 years from the test date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.