Cabinetmaker quote & deposit
Is this standard?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LifesGood

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

We recently got a quote for a new laundry from a cabinetmaker which we accepted. There are no drawings, just a written quote for the work, which will probably be happening in a few months time (as part of an overall renovation and extension).

Today we received a deposit invoice for 40% of the quote - around $2000. I was a bit shocked at a) the fact they are asking for a deposit already and b) the amount of the deposit.

I feel like I want to at least see some plans/drawings before I pay a deposit, so that I know what I'm getting for my money. And although now I have re-read the fine print in the quote I can see they do ask for 40% deposit, I think that is a lot to pay when we probably won't see anything for at least 3-4 months.

Is this standard practice in your experience?

#2 qak

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (LifesGood @ 20/02/2013, 09:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel like I want to at least see some plans/drawings before I pay a deposit

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/About_us...e_deposits.html

I would not have accepted a quote withoout seeing the design that is proposed.  What if you don't like what has been quoted for? I assume the quote is detailed in the number, dimensions of cabinets; materials to be used etc?

#3 LifesGood

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

We discussed what we wanted and gave him a hand drawn sketch we had done. The quote doesn't have dimensions in it but refers to the plans supplied.

I probably should just ask him to wait until plans have been drawn up and then to wait until closer to the job to pay the deposit.

That link to the Fair Trading page is interesting, thank you for that. I guess this is a custom built item so he would need a reasonable sum to cover the cost of materials he will be purchasing. I'll make sure I pay by credit card too.

#4 katpaws

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

We had about $20,000 worth of cabinets etc put in before the guy gave us part of the bill. But he was a friend of a friend sort of thing (nothing like the JellyBlush story) so he might have been more casual with us. To be honest he never really submitted any plans to us, he draws them up in his head after DH gives him a concept drawing or we show him pictures of what we want. But he is an ace of a cabinet maker. I don't think i would be paying money down (40%) without knowing what i was getting.

#5 MrsLexiK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

I see both sides, plenty of people accept quotes trades work around them and then they cancel and the trade is left in the minus because they have either paid for materials, not accepted other work or a combination of both.

#6 bec4

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

We had a cabinetmaker friend do our kitchen and our built in wardrobes.  We paid a deposit but I think it was only about 20% and it was about two weeks before the work was to be done.  He always gave us a picture of what he was going to do with the quote broken down for us. He did 3D pictures for our kitchen.  He asked for a deposit so he could give it to the people who he got the materials from etc.

It did help that he worked for my DH so we knew where to find him if he ran off with our money. original.gif

Bec

#7 Indi

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

When DH was doing residential building work and earthworks he always asked for a deposit.  Too many people quibble on the price after the event - you would not believe what some people do to get out of paying someone for an honest day's work.  DH will only do commercial work now for that very reason.  As PPs have mentioned, the tradie usually has to purchase materials for the job long before it will be finished.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.