1920's Costume Help Needed.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 anasam

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

My employer is having a special promotion day, we all have to dress up in 1920's fashion. Trouble is I am   over weight with a bit of a tummy so can't imagine anything that won't look ridiculous on me. I am not into fashion and haven't worn a dress in years. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could wear?

#2 Cirrus

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Wear clothes you are comfortable in and achieve the 'in character' effect with a fabulous 1920s hat (search ebay for 'flapper hat', cloche hat or 1920s hat)

#3 countrylivingmum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

I found a few options online here's the links hope it helps
http://www.costumebox.com.au/theme-costume...ze-costume.html
http://www.costumebox.com.au/theme-costume...ze-costume.html

#4 liveworkplay

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

What size are you? I have just attended a 1920's party and picked up a great tassel dress on clearance (i'm size 18-20). 1920's are "in" atm so ti is pretty easy to find something. They are pretty flattering to all body types with straight  shifts and drop waist dresses with lots of beading or tassels being the fashion. If you don't want a dress, how about dress as a gangster?

#5 hodgepodge

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

If dresses aren't your thing you could wear black slacks, white shirt, a tie and a gangsta hat.  Pop some makeup on and if you have enough hair wear it in a low pony tail with the ends curled to girlie up the outfit a bit (if that kind of thing worries you)

My sister and I went to an op shop party dressed in mens slacks, shirts and suspender belts, comfiest dress up night ever!

I wish my work had dress up days - have fun  biggrin.gif

#6 niggles

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

I think wide legged pants, a silk blouse and a cloche hat would fit the bill without requiring too much effort. And lots and lots of pearls. If you can be bothered check out a costume shop and you may be able to just hire accessories to set off clothes you already have.

#7 purple_daisy

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (hodgepodge @ 20/02/2013, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If dresses aren't your thing you could wear black slacks, white shirt, a tie and a gangsta hat.

Just what I was going to suggest!

#8 anasam

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I don't mind wearing a dress, just not used to it. It is not so much a 'dress up' day, more that we are trying to commemorate a period in our towns history, so the gansta/flapper style probably isn't going to suit.  I tried on a layered dress today at our only costume shop but it was a 16 and I am more an 18-20. It would have been perfect.
At least I have a bit of an idea now, thanks again.

#9 meggs1

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'd just wear basic black, beads and a headband thing like this:

http://fantasy-world.co.uk/new/buy/20s-fla...lours-available

#10 Lyra

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I've just come from watching an episode of 'Boardwalk Empire' and they had a larger lady on that. She was singing in a burlesque type show. Anyway, she was wearing a pretty ordinary shift type dress but had blinged it up with some really long strings of pearls (different lengths I think), a feather boa and a headpiece like the PP posted. From what I can gather from what a lot of them were wearing it's all about the bling! And bright colours!

#11 mindy05

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

The Miss Fisher Murder Mysteries series is set in the '20s. If you search it on Google images you should get some ideas. Lots of dropped waistlines, long beads, cloche hats or headbands around the forehead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.