When did your child stop day sleeping?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren Bell

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

As the title asks.. When did your child stop their day sleep?

I think I may stop putting my 1 year old down for a day sleep, it is stressful for me and her to get her to sleep in the first place, and she doesn't sleep for very long anyway.

But at her age should I still be trying to get her to sleep?

She sleeps 12 hours at night.

Sorry I didn't know which section to put this q in...

#2 Just the two of us

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

My DS is just over 2 and he still naps for 1 - 2 hours a day. He sleeps for 12 hours at night too. I'm hoping to keep the naps for awhile longer as I'm pregnant and need the rest too lol

I personally think that at 1 she should still be having a nap but its completely up to you as her parent to decide that smile1.gif

#3 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

My ds is very different to a lot of children though you did ask so I will answer.

Ds stopped at 16 months and hasn't had a day nap since it is very exhausting but in a way better as we can go out all day and we don't have to be home for his nap.

I guess every child is different and as long as your dd has some quiet/rest time during the day and isn't so overtired to go to bed at night it should be fine.

#4 The Falcon

My DD has just started dropping it now at 3, but if she skips it she will often fall asleep around 5pm in front of the TV or if we go anywhere in the car.  

I think 1 is probably too young.

Have you tried skipping it to see what happens?  Would she be easier to put down at 3pm for eg?

#5 I*Love*Christmas

Both of mine stopped having day sleeps around the time they turned 2. My daughter turned 2 in December and leading up to her birthday it was becoming a real struggle. I don't bother trying anymore as it just ends up in tears and me getting frustrated as she won't stay on her bed. I put her flip out lounge in the lounge room after lunch and sometimes if she is tired she will go to sleep. Otherwise I am happy for her to stay awake. She goes to sleep within seconds at night now so that is good. Only time I really try to make her have a nap is if we are going out that night.

#6 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

DD1, maybe when she was 3?  She only ever did 45-60 minutes, so it was never a long day sleep (usually from 2-3pm)  But DD1 has never done long day sleeps - 60 minutes max, mostly it was one sleep cycle of around 45 minutes, even as a newborn.

DD2 was finished with day sleeps by the time she was 2.5-3.

Occasionally they might have a day nap, but it's really quite rare now.

Both girls will still nod off if we pop them in car at 4pm and go for a long drive, so we try to avoid long drives in the late afternoon.

So much easier to do things now that the days sleeps have stopped.  biggrin.gif

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 20 February 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#7 FEdeRAL

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hi at one year old most babies still need 1-2 naps in the day. It's natural for them to fight sleep at this age. I find timing to be very crucial. Miss it by 30 minutes and it will take ages for them to fall asleep. For us 5-5.5 hours wake time works best.

DS is 2yr old and mostly naps for 45-90minutes since turning 1. At different times in the past year, he went through sleep regressions where it would take up to 45minutes for him to fall asleep during the day (and 3 hours in the evening!). There was a couple of times he went without his day sleep and the result wasn't pretty. By 4pm he would be grumpy, screaming and tantrum throwing for no good reason and got really clumsy, tripping and bumping his head constantly. He also could not concentrate or follow instructions.

#8 Rosepickles

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I think it may be worth persisting. I have found my daughter actually sleeps longer now during the day at almost two than she did at one. I think babies at that age really still need a nap during the day. I know my daughter has always, and still resists going to sleep. It is a bit easier now tho as she understands that it is going to happen so pretty much goes along with it after a bit of a whinge.

#9 Justaduck

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

DD turned one on the weekend. As a general rule she sleeps 7pm-6am, has a feed, then back to sleep til 8 or 8:30am. Most days she does not nap. She dropped to one nap around 8mths, then to none most days from 10months.

General rule for DD - 12hrs sleep = a nap, 13-14hrs sleep overnight = no nap

With DD I don't push it, if she seems tired I put her to bed. If she doesn't show any tired signs I don't put her to bed and she is happy until bedtime at night. I did keep trying and trying when she wasn't really tired and all it did was make her play around in her cot.

TBH...she has never been a sleepy baby, she was awake for really long periods and happy and content from an early age. No such thing as 1hr up, 2hrs down with her.

#10 ~Supernova~

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

My DD stopped napping at 5. And only because she had time go to school lol. DS would be happy to never sleep...

#11 Bluenomi

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

DD is almost 3 and still has a 2-3 hour nap during the day. I'm hoping she keeps that up until school! I know at daycare all kids under 4 are expected to have a nap or at least rest.

#12 AZMommyof3

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

My kids started skipping their naps at about 4 years old, yet when my twins get home from kindergarten they still will nap for about 1 hour.  It's a nice mommy break for sure!  original.gif

Edited by rjflc69, 20 February 2013 - 05:38 PM.
Edit to remove advertising in signature

#13 akkiandmalli

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

DD stopped her day nap at 18months she is a very active child and crashed at 7pm
DS stopped his at 3.5 years he is more placid and now cAn still sleep if we are in the car and he is nearly 5

#14 Phoenix Blue

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

My 5yo still has a nap on the weekends...

1yo is way too young. What time are you putting him down?

Perhaps try an earlier time. Many 1yo on 1 sleep have it over lunch time - so from 11am-1pm.

Also, you could try a longer wind down. Doing quiet activities (reading story, music, cuddles) for 10-15 mins before nap time. Make sure he's got a full tummy, so have an early lunch or a big morning tea.

Kids will go through lots of stages of fighting naps. I believe that if you can ride it out, and be consistent, you can keep nap time (or even quiet time, laying in bed with book, for older kids) going until they start school.

Good luck.

#15 Carmen02

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

every child is different original.gif
DD my 1st was about 3 almost 4, DS1 was 5 only because of going to school lol he used to nap on weekends!! DS2 is 27mths old and still has a nap most days 2 hrs ish

#16 Tikiboo16

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

DD (2.5 yrs) can still sleep for 3-4 hours in the day if she's very tired. I agree with PPs. 1 is way too young to stop. I'd keep at it. Try some settling techniques.. At that age, a feed was usually enough to get DD off, but there are plenty of other things to try if that isn't working. I hear white noise works really well...

#17 elizabethany

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

My 2yo still has one day nap.  He doesn't like it, and will cry as soon as the words bed, nap, sleep or tired are mentioned, but without it he is unmanageable and unhappy.

He will usually go to sleep relatively quickly, he just doen't want to miss out.

#18 SaintJoe

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Way too young in my opinion. IT is recommended they get around 15-16 hours per day at that age.

They go through stages so I wiould persist. DS is 2.5 and I thought he was ready to give it up last month. After a messy few weeks he is now getting 12 hours at night and 2 during the day again.

Good luck!

#19 lozoodle

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Both of mine still nap 11am-1pm. They are 4 and 2.

2yo sleeps 7.30pm-6.30am and 4 yo sleeps 8.30 to 6.30am

#20 Jax12

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

DS was 2 in November and still has a long day nap each day, anywhere from 1.5 to 3hrs  He sleeps through the night from around 7.30pm - 6.30am.  

At 12 months I would be thinking it's too young to drop the day sleep, but all children are different.  Maybe see how she goes over a few days without the sleep or try a different time as some PPs have suggested?

Best of luck.  Nothing worse than having a tired, cranky bub who won't go to sleep!

As for me, it's 12pm and I'm struggling.  Definitely time for my nap.  Unfortunately they frown on that at work  wacko.gif

#21 mum2jp

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Hi OP,
At 1 my DS was only sleeping for 40 mintue naps and it was a struggle still feeding, rocking, patting to sleep or having to have him in bed with me to sleep. Now at 2 he goes down on his own and sleeps for at least 2 hours, he goes to bed a bit later than he did about 8-830 instead of 7-730 but sleeps through. I can't remember when his sleep got beter he just seemed to suddenly like nap time. It may be worth it to keep trying but you know your little one best. Good luck original.gif

#22 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

DD dropped her day naps at a little over one.
She was oddly better for it as she hadn't over slept and got left in that sleepy haze for the rest of the day once she woke again.

I know this wouldn't be the norm though, shes always been a great sleeper at night, few wake ups so she generally got a uninterrupted sleep most nights.

#23 Lauren Bell

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I should have specified, DD is nearly 2 years old.

It's good to see everyone's lil ones are still having decent day sleeps! I believe even at nearly 2 that she is way to young, but she will only go to sleep in the pram, after about 30 mins of pushing her, and then will sleep for roughly an hour.. And some days she doesn't even go to sleep, she just cries til I'm forced to let her stay up.,

I'm confused as to what to do but will keep trying! wacko.gif

#24 crocodilessnap

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

My DD is 2 next week and we have had several periods over the last 6-8 months where she seems to want to drop her day sleep. We have had a week or two here and there where she wouldn't sleep and she never sleeps while with my ILs who watch her once a week but I know that she isnt ready to drop that sleep permanently yet and so I've pushed through.

Yes I usually have to cuddle her to sleep at the moment and have done for months now but as it only takes 5-10 minutes and she transfers easily I'm happy to continue for now and I know she goes down easily at cc so thats a good thing. But at the same time if we cant have a sleep for whatever reason I know she will cope which does give me some flexibility.

#25 purple_daisy

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

My 21 m.o is still having one nap per day.

At about 14-16 months she was fighting her day sleep a lot, and the childcare centre suggested we try pushing it back a little bit later in the day (it used to be about 10:30 as she was up at 6am). Now we keep her up until 11:30/12 and she goes down without a peep for 60-90 mins. She also sleeps 11-13 hours overnight.

Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.