Selling children's clothes vs. giving them to charity

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OneProudMum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I have spent $100s if not $1000s on DDs clothes and she is not even 2 years old yet.
I've learnt my lesson re: spending way too much on clothes but I have approx 8 large tubs full of clothes ranging from knitted goods to expensive labels (some that still have tags on).

My question is - is it ok or acceptable to create a FB page and sell some of them? Or would that be completely tacky and is there an expectation that I would donate them to charity instead?

I just don't want to be considered a tight ar$e but the money I could potentially recoup from selling it would be very handy right now!

WDYT? Go easy please! original.gif

#2 OneProudMum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 20/02/2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd sell them on ebay:)

I'm not smart enough for eBay!  laugh.gif

#3 ~Supernova~

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

You won't get anything but bottom dollar on FB. Try another avenue (ebay is so full of fees atm ugh). If I need the money - I sell. If we're good, I try to find a family member or friend who needs it. After that it would be charity.

#4 OneProudMum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Mareek @ 20/02/2013, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You won't get anything but bottom dollar on FB. Try another avenue (ebay is so full of fees atm ugh). If I need the money - I sell. If we're good, I try to find a family member or friend who needs it. After that it would be charity.

Lets just say I could potentially make enough for a weeks holiday accommodation!

No babies coming to my family or friends any time soon sad.gif

#5 adl

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Sell them at the baby & kids market.. I have bought heaps of lovely designer things there, and they are filled with people selling nicegood condition clothes...

#6 ~Supernova~

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (OneProudMum @ 20/02/2013, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets just say I could potentially make enough for a weeks holiday accommodation!

No babies coming to my family or friends any time soon sad.gif

How do you know that? My sister has nearly 1000 friends, all parents due to her business, and has sold next to nothing of her copious amounts of designer baby clothes that she has been posting for months...

#7 ~Supernova~

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (adl @ 20/02/2013, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sell them at the baby & kids market.. I have bought heaps of lovely designer things there, and they are filled with people selling nicegood condition clothes...

Totally forgot about them! They don't have them in my current town sad.gif But I had a stall when DD was around 1, and made about $500 and really didn't sell all that much. I love love love Baby and Kids Markets!

#8 OneProudMum

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (adl @ 20/02/2013, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great idea!! Thanks original.gif

#9 epl0822

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

With so much availability and choice these days, it's easy to overspend on baby clothes!

It's not stingy to sell baby clothes, heaps of people sell off items they no longer use, how are baby clothes any different? I know lots of friends who happily scored great bargains from parents like yourself. It's just as good as donating to charity because some of these friends were on a tight budget with mortgage payments etc. It really helped out having the availability of cheap, secondhand, bulk baby stuff online.

I tried to donate baby clothes to charity but I found it more of a hassle than selling. It seems so much easier to just put up an ad online and wait for someone to contact you. A charity organisation I called was really picky and abruptly told me to list exactly what I had, then told me they weren't accepting so-and-so items, and of the few things they were going to accept, I had to drive over at a specified time the following day to drop it off. This meant I had to repack everything and donate half the things and find other homes for the rejected items. And to top it off the lady I spoke to said she was going to keep them in the storage room because she "might" need it, in other words they were likely to sit in a dark corner somewhere forgotten. In the end I found a friend of a friend (teenage mum) who made good use of the stuff.

#10 Peppery

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

I have sold DD's clothes on eBay. Apart from the pain of lining up at the post office, the process was really simple and I was very pleased with the sale prices.  

#11 Hootabelles

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Try Gumtree.com.au. Unlike eBay it's free to use.

#12 4kidlets

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have no issues with people selling them on fb or eBay or wherever - I don't bother doing that myself though, I just give them away. - partly because its easier, I just bundle them up and put in charity collection bin and partly because I didn't spend that much in first place, nearly all are from target or big W or similar, no designer clothes here.

#13 Overtherainbow

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

I prefer to hand mine on to friends.  No money but I am grateful that I am given clothing from others.  i figure it all balances up in the end.

I don't judge people for selling or giving away clothes.

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

I think that the FB sites are good for buyers but not so good for sellers. The Baby and Kid's markets really depend on where they are what quality of product will be available but for better quality and designer stuff eBay is the go for me.

I have just sold over 20 items on eBAY for my DD and the fees have been less than $14.
The fact that people get caught up in the excitement of those last minute bids that will often see the price rise enormously.

I still give to charity, I like to divvy up the stuff so everyone scores.

#15 laura7

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

I'm a bit like you OP when it comes to eBay.  So i bundle all my stuff up in a 5 kg satchel and send it interstate to a a women who makes a living selling stuff on eBay.  I pay the postage and we split the proceeds.  I figure with her reputation and regular customers she does it better than I can.  Maybe someone you know is good at listing stuff on eBay.  I also recently  sold all my maternity clothes and got about 25% of value on each item...not bad as seeing they were worn for two pregnancies.  I gave the rest of the baby/toddler clothes to charity etc.  You'd be surprised the amount of people who troll through charity shops with the sole purpose of listing them on eBay. mad.gif

#16 bailee

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (Peppery @ 20/02/2013, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have sold DD's clothes on eBay. Apart from the pain of lining up at the post office, the process was really simple and I was very pleased with the sale prices.

Click and send will save you visiting the post office most of the time. Google it.

I use ebay. Its a bit of work to get your items listed but you can do well, especially if you organise your stuff well. I try to list clothes in size order, so I would do all the 1s first, then 2s, etc, so buyers can look through your items easily enough and be tempted to spend. The thing I like about ebay over other selling websites, is the feedback system works well - I've had few issues through ebay with payment and pick up, but lots of failed transactions through other sites.

#17 Feralishous

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (myfamilyrocks @ 20/02/2013, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have existing fb groups for selling baby items and people pay up to 2/3 of the retail price for clothing in as new condition.

same here.
I personally list it for sale, and just give it away if it doesnt sell after x amount of time

#18 Gumbette

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

I give all my good quality stuff to the Red Cross.  Our local shop was so grateful (unlike our local St Vinnies who throw away a lot of stuff).  I don't care how little they get for it as I know every little bit helps.  I'm too lazy to try to sell on ebay.

#19 Feral-Lausii

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

I belong to quite a few facebook pages in my local area and good quality children's clothing does sell for good prices. And its free to sell and often the buyer will pick it up. Saves mucking around with the post office.

#20 lotsofbots

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

I sell my baby stuff including clothes on fb buy swap and sell pages, we have a dedicted baby one in our area. get great money no fees and they pick up.

#21 Monroe

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

OPM, I adore P's fashion range! I'll put my hand up to purchase some wink.gif Let me know! I'm keen.

I sell some in eBay, donate & hand down. Nearly all of DD2's clothes are in perfect condition. Some with tags too!

#22 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Mareek @ 20/02/2013, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. I am part of 3 designer kids labels groups on FB and people pay good money for secondhand designer. Sometimes more than it was brand new especially if its vintage. I love to buy and sell in these group. So easy and simple. Kmart, target and best and less stuff I just donate, but designer stuff has a huge market on FB.

#23 stressnless9

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

i would put them on FB!! i use to do this! i would buy second hand clothes then sell them on my page! my first lot i did i spent $30 on 3 boxes of clothes and made $500 out of them!!!!!

just dont over price! and i found bundling them or putting what matches together sold quicker!

#24 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

The FB pages are great, I've bought a lot of great, designer brand name clothes from them for a fraction of the cost, many of them barely worn.  
I just donate mine but that's because most have been given to us so I wouldn't feel right selling them.

#25 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (stressnless9 @ 21/02/2013, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would put them on FB!! i use to do this! i would buy second hand clothes then sell them on my page! my first lot i did i spent $30 on 3 boxes of clothes and made $500 out of them!!!!!

just dont over price! and i found bundling them or putting what matches together sold quicker!

It's probably just me but i think you can tell when people specifically buy them to re-sell for more and something about it grates at me and I wont buy from those sellers.  I would rather buy from other Mums who are legit just moving on their kids clothes. When I see sellers selling boys and girls in multiple sizes over months and months I figure they they are reselling - it turns me off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.