organising an unorganised child
for high school

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 butterflies

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

DD#1 has started high school this year and is finding it tough to be organised remember homework and remember what to take on which days.

Has anyone got a system they use for their highs schooler that works for them? If so I would love to hear from you.

#2 BadCat

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

My son has started high school this year as well and he is also a shocker for organisation.

What seems to be working fairly well for him is this:

He has display folder (the sort with the clear plastic sleeves in it) sectioned into subjects.  As he is given assignment sheets or notes for any subject he slips them into the appropriate place in the folder.  If homework is given verbally he notes it down on a sheet of paper attached to the front of the folder.  That piece of paper also has reminders for things he needs to ask about, pick up, take with him, whatever, so it functions as a to do list for each day.

That way, in theory at least, all the important information is kept together.  The idea was that he would transfer information to his student diary when he gets home each day, but in reality that just seems like doubling the work for no benefit so we might skip that.

#3 Vicky@SchoolAtoZ

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hi
I have just survived Year 7 with a VERY laidback (read 'disorganised') boy. I also work for the NSW Department of Education on www.schoolatoz.com.au. - aimed at helping parents of school-aged kids. Usually, what I learn the hard way with my kids, I turn into resources for parents , such as these homework calendars which proved invaluable in organising my boys.
Also watch Tips to making high school easier - there are some pearls of wisdom in here!
My top tips for you ( which I am still having to enforce ) would be:
1. DD should use a homeowrk diary religiously and write down every 'to-do' thing she is told in roll-call, class and assemblies. I check ours every night. Kids dont automatically know how to plan and schedule their workload, we need to instruct them.
2. Get aquainted with the Year Advisor for Year 7 this year - a teacher who will probably be their advisor for the entire 6 years. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO CALL THEM if you are concerned about workload, inattention,relationships etc . They volunteer for the job and they genuinely desire input from parents to help the kids adapt.
3. Go to parent-teacher interviews (and P&C meetings if you can). The more you are involved, the greater the opportunities to "close the loop" between home and school.
4. Do some research on the teenage brain. This is a tough year for kids for many reasons: disrupted social groups, hormonal changes, brain development and increased levels of responsibility. There's a lot going on and undertanding whats going on in your child's head will help reduce your frustration and increase your patience.
5.Make a point of doing things one on one with your daughter - even if she doesnt want to. Go for a walk, a milkshake while shopping etc. It helps keep the communication lines open without them feeling interrogated.
6. Have confidence in the fact that you've put in 12 solid years of love and training into your daughter and this is just another stage.
Good luck!

VickyN

#4 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

My DD started HS this year, and they have study planners that we have put up on the pantry door, so at a glance we can all see what is happening on what days.

Can you help her remember things? My DD knows she needs to take her PE gear on Wednesdays and Fridays, but I still double check she has it. Just remind remind remind them all the time. I'm sure it's all pretty overwhelming to start with, but they will get there.

#5 Coffeegirl

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

We colour coded DD's daily schedule and covered her homework exercise books in the same colour.  On the schedule we also wrote out what extras she needs for some claseses.  IE food tech - needs apron, PE- needs shoes, shirt & shorts etc.

I then laminated it and we blue tacked it beside her bedroom door.  I also have a copy on the side of the fridge (for myself)

So Math is yellow on the schedule, she knows to grab her math textbook and the yellow exercise book.
English is pink
Science is green etc.

I also have her lay out her uniform and pack her bag the night before.  So she looks at her schedule. Friday she has PE, music and food tech.   She knows to pack shoes, PE uniform, tech apron and the white exercise book (music)

Then I check the schedule in the morning and gently ask if she has XYZ in the bag.  

So far so good original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.