do you use your phone?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Excentrique Feral

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

I was just thinking about how when I was a kid, mum would regularly be on the phone to her friends.

And now that I'm all grown up, I don't chat to anyone on the phone aside from my mum.

All friends and other family are contacted via facebook and text messages! I know 3 people who don't even have home phones and only use a mobile.

So I'm wondering if I'm a little bit odd or is the use of the home phone dying off? Just like writing letters did. Ever noticed how in period movies and tv shows they are forever writing letters to one another?

#2 BadCat

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

If I want to talk to someone I use the phone or catch up in person.

That said I don't make a lot of calls.  Maybe a couple a week.

I don't own a mobile and I don't FB.

#3 JRA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Err yes, I still talk to my friends. That is why they are a friend.

#4 Phascogale

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

I do to a few friends because of our busy lives and I live a fair distance away from them now.  And it's much easier to chat in person than it is to text or write emails.

But having said that, we probably speak once a month or less.

I hardly ever use my mobile.  That's more for emergencies.

#5 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I only have a mobile, wouldnt waste my money on a home line.

#6 Aribika

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

I use my home phone to call my sister, my Mum and Dad and one friend.  Everything else is done by fb, email or sms.  We have a home phone plan where all calls to land lines withing Australia are included and I still don't use it much.

I find phone calls with the children around annoying because they are always making noise.  It's so much easier to fb message.  That way if someone's busy they can get back to you when it's convenient.  

Lorraine

#7 Fifi LaRue

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

I talk to me friends on the phone all the time - my mobile.  We don't even have a land line anymore.  DP and I have our mobiles and we have naked cable internet.   I know about 3 people with landlines - my parents, dps parents and grandma.  We always ring the in laws and grandma on their home phones, but even with my mum and dad they both also have mobiles and the majority call them on the mobile, they are considering cancelling the home phone.

#8 SummerStar

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I hate being on the phone. I welcome emails and texts but can't stand talking on the phone.

#9 cinnabubble

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

I literally only keep a home phone to talk to my mother. I don't talk to other people on the phone.

#10 Therese

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I talk to a few people on the phone. I also have some friends that I only speak to via FB or email though.

#11 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I don't have a home phone. I much prefer FB for contact, mostly because I have a chronic issue with losing my mobile.

#12 Justaduck

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yep pretty much only speak to my Mum or businesses on the phone. Everyone else plans are made in person/text/fb

#13 Carmen02

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

i dont chat on the phone to much, I use FB or texts..we dont have a home phone we found it more annoying with it lol I have hearing loss so dont like talking on phones anyway

#14 More than a Mother

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I'd happily get rid of our home phone if I was techy enough to find an alternative for calling overseas.

I know I can skype, but it's not very spontaneous, and family always seem to have technical difficulties.

#15 vanessa71

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

We have a home phone, but I don't really use it to talk to people much anymore. I was never really one for talking on the phone, I'd much rather do it in person or via email and Facebook.

When my nanna lived in QLD, I would talk to her on the phone every couple of weeks, but since she lives not far from me now, I would just rather go and see her than call her on the phone.

With my other nana we would take it in turns to call, but since she has dementia, she doesn't even know who I am if I call.

Edited by vanessa71, 21 February 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#16 mel43

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

I have a home phone because we don't get very good reception here. So I need it for internet, and I also use it when I call businesses that are likely to keep me on hold for a long time.

For everything else I either Facebook, text or occasionally use my mobile to call.

#17 MintyBiscuit

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

We have a home phone that I call my grandmother on and DH calls his Dad and grandmother on. It doesn't get used much apart from that.

I don't really like chatting on the phone. Working in a call centre broke me a little bit when it comes to being on the phone. I'd rather either text or FB if it's a quick something to tell someone, or meet up in person for a proper catch up

#18 71Cath

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I only have a mobile, no home phone.  I love texting, I text a lot...

Edited by 71Cath, 21 February 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#19 Academic

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

I don't have a landline. I hate talking on the phone, and my friends know that, so they rarely call me! They also know I just won't answer if I don't feel like a chat, so if it's something important they'll text.

I do talk to my mum on the phone once or twice a week, and my nana about once a fortnight.

#20 Mamma_mia

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

I used to love talking on the phone when I was younger, pre-kids. I am happy to chat now with close family members when they call (they live inter-state). But I have a close friend who I see often, and we catch up with all the goss then. But on top of that she often wants to call and chat, and it makes me a bit cranky. It's always at inconvenient times, often late at night. Or she will try to have an entire conversation by text message, which is annoying. ie. she'll send one message which i'll answer. Then another, then another etc. I actually do like her a lot, I'd just prefer to arrange a time to meet up and chat then.

#21 Chchgirl

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yes, I still have a home phone and use it! I find it handy for work, plus I still talk to family on it (mum, mil, sisters), and two friends from Nz who I keep in touch with via Facebook, but every now and then we take turns getting on the phone for a good chat..

I use facebook but not as a source of primary contact.

#22 9ferals

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (squeekums @ 21/02/2013, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only have a mobile, wouldnt waste my money on a home line.

This.
I make quite a few calls to family and friends to stay in touch, but it's cheaper to do that from my mobile (pre-paid, free calls from 6pm - 6am).

#23 FeralDancesHere

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (SummerStar @ 21/02/2013, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate being on the phone. I welcome emails and texts but can't stand talking on the phone.

Me too.

We have a landline (can't get net without it) and I use it when I need to make calls.

My mobile is for texting and being contactable.

I don't "chat" on any type of voice transmitting device.

#24 MarthaJones

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

We don't have a home phone. Have used mobile for the last 5yrs. We Skype FIL in NZ. Catch up with my parents once a week. We email, Facebook and sms most of the time. The only people who were calling our landline were telemarketers.

#25 Tall Poppy

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I don't have a landline at all. I only use my mobile. Predominantly I SMS people rather than phone calls. I really only telephone my parents.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.