What is your biggest struggle with toilet training?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 EB-Marion

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

In conjunction with HUGGIES® Pull-Ups® Training Pants and Essential Baby, you have the opportunity to ask Dr Cathrine Neilsen-Hewett about the issues you have with toilet training your toddler. She will review the questions and get back to us with her answers and advice of the most common struggles.

Dr Cathrine Neilsen-Hewett,  BA (Hons) Educational Psychology  and a Doctor of Philosophy, is the Director of Learning and Teaching and Senior Lecturer at the Institute of Early Childhood, Macquarie University, NSW. As a mother of three children, understanding children’s development and promoting positive approaches to parenting has become both a passion and a full-time career.

Find out more about Dr Cathrine here: http://www.drcathrine.com 

View her articles brought to you by HUGGIES® Pull-Ups® :

How to toilet train using a training pant

When will my child be ready to toilet train

What is your biggest struggle when toilet training? Let us know and we will get Dr Cathrine to give us some advice on how to tackle the most common struggles.

#2 tamaracazz

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

I havent started toilet training my son yet, but obviously when you start toilet training the most important thing is that the child knows when he or she needs to go to the toilet and knows the difference between wet and dry..
Do you try to push them to use the potty etc during the night when they are asleep and groggy and perhaps not as aware of when they need to go? Or is toilet training for purely during the day?

#3 hayzee fantayzee

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

DD is 2yo and 5 months old, we have been having a go at toilet training for the past fortnight. I followed signals from her to start as she showed an interest in what the others were doing at daycare.

She is happy to run around in her bare bottom or with a pair of knickers on and tell me when she needs to wee or poo. However, the problem is getting her to use the potty or the toilet with the step and seat attachment.
She insists on putting her nappy back on to do her wee or poo. No amount of coaxing works, not even the promise of a reward for using the potty or toilet. She gets herself into such a lather until her nappy is back on. She'll then tell me she's done it and want changing if its a poo.

Any ideas how to get her to use the potty or toilet?
Thank you.

ETA- She's quite happy to sit on both as long as she doesn't have to do anything in them.

Edited by starboard, 04 March 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#4 Mamacass2

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Our biggest struggle is with Poo. DD who is almost 3 will do a wee on the toilet happily but when she needs to poo she holds it in and asks for a nappy. Very frustrating as my DS was the same.

#5 farfaraway

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Another vote for poo. And it was the same issue for my DD1. She would get herself constipated, it was such an ordeal. DD2 is the opposite - happily poo her undies, won't do it on the loo. Driving. Me. Insane.

#6 treefalls

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Same at our house. 3 year old refusing to poo on toilet. He asks for a nappy. No amount of discussion can unearth the reason for it and no amount of encouragement or even bribery works. He says he is scared, but can't tell me what scares him. I know it can't go on forever, but it's is REALLY frustrating not to be able to at least talk with him about it.

#7 belbelchic

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

i have just started progress with my daughter, she is doing well, except when she needs to go, and its a big toilet, she is too scared to do anything, even if i hold her, help....

she is into her 3rd week, and doing well, i reward her with stickers on a chart, and stamp on the hand...

still no progress with number 2's

#8 Hunch

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

As per many PPs, we are struggling big time with poo.  DS will be 3 in a week.  We are one week into TT and he seems to have mastered weeing, he asks when he needs to go and hasn't had an accident since Day 3.  He did 2 bowel movements in the toilet in the first 2 days but since then all others in his pants, doesn't even ask for a nappy...ugh! What do we do? Thanks.

#9 liveworkplay

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

I am genuinelly surprised about how onerous parents (and experts) make toilet training. I have found with my three that, when they are ready, they will use the toilet/potty. Bribes, rewards etc make no different if they are not physically and mentally ready to do it themselves. I hear of so much angst surrounding TT that personally feel is the result of parental competition and expert product endorsments.

Edited by liveworkplay, 04 March 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#10 *Rowena*

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

How do you teach a 3YO to wipe his bottom after doing a poo? By the skin of our teeth we got DS toilet trained in time for pre-school, but they (teachers) won't wipe bottoms - and he is very resistant to the idea of doing it himself and struggles with the coordination to do it all when we force the issue.

Help!

Rowena

#11 mokeeffe

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

My daughter has not long turned 3 and I started toilet training last November however we don't seem to have progressed very far. She doesn't let me know when she needs to make a wee however is able to hold it for 3-4 hours and will go when taken to the toilet or potty. She also refuses to poo in the toilet/potty and will hold it, sometimes for when she is wearing a nappy (sleep time) but other times she holds it for days (presently we are entering into day 5 of no poo). For a long time she has been embarrassed by poo, as far back as 20 odd months she would deny she had a dirty nappy and when being changed would cover her arm over her eyes. I cannot seem to change her mindset or get through to her that this natural/normal.

#12 TarneeW

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

My DS2.3 wants to wear undies after his evening bath although has not yet used the potty. I try taking him when I notice signs he needs to go or after periods of time which he generally refuses although will occasionally try.

When he does a wee he will come running to tell me but it is generally too late at this stage.

He knows when he's weeing, he just doesn't seem to be aware until it happens. I'm not sure where to go from here? My other two were fantastic....

#13 Babby and Roo

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

My daughter is 2 years, 9 months and gets very anxious about using the toilet or potty to wee or poo. She knows when she needs to go because she tells me (eg, I'm going to do a poo mummy), and every time we've tried to put her in undies she has ended up holding on (up to 7 hours one time) and becoming more and more distressed until I put her nappy back on so she can go.

She also started daycare a month ago and has been holding onto her poos all day while there (she is in nappies full time). She obviously has some anxiety about going but I can't work out why and I have no idea where to go from here!

#14 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

Our big challenge at the moment is going out of the house. DS (2y9m) happily uses the toilet at home, and has been nappy free at home for a month or so.  And we have done trips to grandma's house nappy-free too, but I worry about taking him to new places (eg the shops) without a nappy, in case he has an accident.  So I have been putting him in a nappy when we go out.

The problem is that when he has a nappy on, he NEVER asks to use the toilet, and even when he needs to go, I will ask him to go to the toilet, and he will say, "No, it's okay Mummy, I got a nappy on" while he wets it.  

Nappy pants haven't made a difference. He views those as nappies too.

So I feel a bit like we are stuck in all-or-nothing land, where he is doing fine without a nappy, but I would like the security of having a nappy on him in case of an accident. Especially car trips and shopping where getting to a toilet may be difficult, and clean up will be messy.

So, how do I go to transitioning him to nappy-free whhen going out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.