Your best fundraising ideas and tips?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ziggo

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hi,

My son has just started at a community kindergarten and I am on the fundraising committee.  

Has anyone got any tips for me?

What are the best events that make the most money for the kindergarten?  

Thanks for your help.

Elise.

#2 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

If you have a bunnings nearby, see if you can have one of their weekend sausage sizzles.

They are a decent money spinner.

#3 ziggo

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Thanks.  

Yes I think they have done the Bunnings before so that should be fun.  

Water play sounds fun.  

#4 123tree

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Bunnings always have a long waiting list so write your letter now and you will probably get a date close to Christmas.

I hate the chocolate drives but that is just me.

#5 *LiMa*

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Where do you live OP?

We have had success (sports club) with running BBQ's at Harvey Norman (our local supplies all the food, we only had to pay for the dri ks we wanted to sell) and Masters.  

We also run a weekly meat tray raffle at one of the local pubs.  We made about $5000 after expenses for that for the year (we live regional, so it's not a big pub)

We also run the standard slice and lolly drives, also garden seeds.  Pie drives and cookie dough works well around here too, but every school and sports club seems to do them so we haven't tried those.

#6 Lyra

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

A friend's child's kinder runs a mango drive towards the end of the year. We always buy a tray

I also hate chocolate drives

#7 Hattie

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I was the president of a community kindy for 2 years.

Best way to make real money is applying for grants. It can involve a bit of work to complete the applications, but well worth it, eg we got $42,000 from a gaming community benefit fund which woukd be the equivalent of about 200 bake sales LOL. If you are in Qld, feel free to PM me for details of the grant schemes we appled to.

Our second most successful fundraiser was a Christmas in July event. It was a lot of work for the management committee, but we made around. $4,000 in one night. In summary, what we did was:

* held the fuction at the kindy, charged $5 for entry and had each class do a concert item/song - this encourages parents to attend.

* asked parents to provide food - I emailed all parents with a list of what we needed (finger food type stuff) and asked them to indicate what they could contribute. This meant we could feed people for free.

* had a coffee van on site, he shared his profits with us and it cost us nothing.

* had each class/group do a joint artwork on a large canvas, which we auctionef to parents on the night. Because there was only one artwork per class, parents got quite competitive bidding for them, so we made a good amount!

* sought donations of raffle prizes from businesses we dealt with (kindy plus committee members private contacts - ie my beautician donated a voucher) and then sold tickets on the night. Made about $1k from that.

In terms of other ideas, we did a Cadbury chocolate box thing which was pretty easy and did result in a decent profit.

Good luck,
Julie

#8 ziggo

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Thank you for all of your replies.  So many great ideas.  

The last fundraising committee has already sent our letter off for Bunnings so that is all booked in which is great.  

Hattie, can you please PM the grant details I am in Queensland.  That sounds awesome!

#9 ziggo

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

LiMa, how do the meat tray raffles work? Do you buy the meat at cost from the butchers or is it donated?

#10 luke's mummu

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

Family photo day - we used advanced life photography. It's very easy to organise and the Kindy got the keep the $20 sitting fee. I think lots of photographic companies do similar days for fundraising.

#11 Escapin

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Can I ask what sort of money you can make with the Bunnings Sausage Sizzle?

#12 Lyn86

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

^^ we made about $1500 from our Bunnings sausage sizzle.
Not bad for a mornings work!

#13 mez70

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

The other thing for those looking at Sausage sizzles is a lot of Woolworths stalls now have in store and just out side store sausage sizzles as well, these are free to book and they generally only ask you buy the bread and snags etc from them and if you pick the right store can be very profitable.

I don't know if you have access to the "entertainment books" these are books of coupons etc that get sold and you get a certain cut of each book sold and have been popular in our area.

Cookie Dough has been another one that has been popular.

The thing to remember is that it needs to be as labour and cost effective as possible and where ever ytou can the goal is not to spend money to earn money (sausage sizzle aside) any ideas where you are required to purchase in advance then recoup later by selling can be dicey as unless you have the option to return product you can be left with unused and unsold product that has also "cost" the kinder as well..

#14 ~Mo+Moosh~

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Our preschool did an art show. Each child produced at least 2 pieces of art. Some were framed and some were just on canvas (all from the cheap shop). The majority of parents purchased all their children's work. They also had a raffle. I'm not on the fundraising committee but I believed it was a decent money maker.

It was great as a parent because it was different to the normal preschool fundraisers and the children were really proud of their work.

#15 tinkster23

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

The play group I'm president of have had some success with a cancer council sunscreen fundraiser, it's low effort but we made a fair amount.

#16 Percoriel

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

I wa sonth emy child's kindy committee at the time. A family disco raised about $2k through ticket sales, sausage sizzle, lolly stall and raffle.

#17 elmo_mum

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

trivia nights...inc silient auctions...

coming into easter - hot cross bun drive... talk to brumbys/bakers delight etc

the entertainment books are great, but you have to pay for them first, and then hope u sell em all... so there needs to be cash in the bank....

movie night - in the kindy.. show a family movie... charge a few buck, make popcorn and ice cream cones.. sell em

good luck

#18 madmother

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:39 AM

I second the Trivia Night. $4000 in one night for small rural school.

Always ask for donations, buy the least you can. Goes for meat trays too.  cool.gif

If you have the room, car boot sales are good too.

#19 credence

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

Our school does one major fundraiser with a live auction and smaller silent auction items. For a school of 500 students, we usually raise between $60-80K. It does take a lot of prep work, but as it's only a once off, it works out well.

#20 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

We do a quiz night.

Cake stalls always make lots if you get lots of donations.

We do a mothers day luncheon which is always well attended and most of the food donated.

This year we are also going to do a murder mystery night. Should be a fun night and make a bit. Also going to try a mother and fathers day gift stall.

#21 netballgirls

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I receently bought a growi-in-the-bag kit organic coriander from a kindy fundraiser. I thought it was a great idea. I hate chocolate drives.

www.livingfundraisers.com.au

#22 ~Kay~

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Have a cake stall or sausage sizzle on (Federal) election day.

We are lucky, our community hall is a polling booth but work out where your local polling booths are now & contact them.

#23 nik_klinger

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

This won't make thousands, possibly hundreds, but it's SO bloody easy to add to any stall- spiders. All you need is 1 cup, fill with 1/2 cup of fizzy drink, add a scoop of ice cream, sell for $1ish.

#24 *LiMa*

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

For our meat tray raffle we get meat froma club sponsor, so it's cheap, another sponsor donates farm fresh whole chickens.  For 2 meat trays and a chicken we spend about $40 a week.  Sometimes if we sell enough tickets we through in $15 6packs

#25 PigNewton

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

I think our kindy's top fundraisers last year were the disco and entertainment books...they also sell t-shirts,  windcheaters and hats with the kindy logo and picture on them, they're not compulsory but are advertised as taking the decision work out of dressing your child in the mornings!
The current fundraiser is buying spring bulbs, 40% of the cost price goes to the kindy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.