Meals to Freeze
Recipes needed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Emerald

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I am looking for ideas on healthy meals that i can cook in advance and freeze. We are very busy during the week and i'd love to just be able to pull out a ready made healthy meal.

if you have any recipes that you can share i would love to have them............Also whats the best container to freeze them in?

Thanks
Em

#2 premmie_29weeks

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

My personal favourite is paprika chicken original.gif

1kg of chicken thigh fillets (or any chicken really)
1 red capsicum sliced
3 large tomatoes
Salt/pepper
1 tablespoon of sweet paprika
Olive oil
1 sliced onion

Fry up opinion in olive oil for a few minutes till translucent. Add capsicum and chopped tomato to pan. Add paprika. Cook with lid on for 8 minutes till soft. Add chicken plus a little water if its looking a bit dry. Turn heat to low and simmer for about an hour till chicken is cooked through and very tender. You may need to add more paprika. Season to taste.

Serve with mash, pasta or cous cous. I freeze half original.gif

#3 Three Of Hearts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Emerald @ 21/02/2013, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also whats the best container to freeze them in?

I go to the local catering supplies store and get 50 of those square take away containers with lids for $12.  I then have two good decor microwave containers for reheating.  I just pop the meal out into them original.gif

#4 emlis22

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

A couple I've done lately is meat loaf (mince, oats, grated carrot, grated zucchini, onion, tomato sauce) and then frozen in individual portions. I just wrapped in glad wrap and then foil.

Or bolognese really is a staple: lean mince, carrot, celery, zucchini, tinned toms and herbs, Just freeze in portions in plastic containers. To make it healthy, bulk up the veggies and cut down on the meat. You can easily convert this recipe into con carne as well. Just take it out and mix through kidney beans while heating, add some chopped avo and a sprinkling of cheese. Could even bake some tortillas for dipping. Or topped on baked potatoes. It really is so versatile.

#5 kpingitquiet

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'm doing a bit of this, myself, right now. Basically making up double/triple size dinners for a few weeks and freezing whatever we won't eat that night. Some of the things I'm making are:

- Chickpea & Chorizo soup. Regular plastic freezer container.
- Black beans & rice. Plastic container. Good on it's own, as filling for burritos, or as stuffing for eggplants or capsicum. You can actually pre-fill the capsicum and freeze that way, too.
- Chicken & veg korma. Plastic container.
- Chicken, eggplant, lentil casserole. Plastic container.
- Tuna & 5 veg mornay (sorta) with pasta. Freezing this in an oven-ready foil container as the pasta holds up better when put straight in the oven, rather than defrosted, then baked.
- Pre-grilled sausages. Wrapped in plastic & foil. Though this is mostly due to husband absentmindedly freezing a whole 2 kg of sausages together without separating, so we have to cook them all up at once.
- Curried sausages (see above). Plastic container.
- Summer squash bisque. Plastic container.
- Potato-leek soup. Plastic container.
- Basil-almond pesto. Small plastic cubes we used to use for homemade babyfood. Perfect amount for a quick steamed veg & pasta dinner.
- Salmon patties. Separated with freezer paper and stacked in plastic container.
- Packets of (homemade) pre-marinated & cooked chicken breast, thigh, sliced steak, pork, etc for various purposes, packed in the sauce. So this way I can just pop some rice or noodles on, quickly stirfry some appropriate veggies and just toss in the thawed meat/sauce for the world's easiest stir-fries and noodle bowls. Also great for throwing tacos or wraps together without the mess of meat prep, or adding a meat component to a dinner salad.

Anyway, that's the list I've been brainstorming. Hope something appeals original.gif

#6 JLC

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Make up a big batch of a cooked mince mixture

Spaghetti sauce - add some tinned tomatoes, herbs, garlic etc then add pasta

Chilli con carne - add some spices/chilli & beans & serve on corn chips for nachos etc

Shepherds pie - I normally add some gravy powder & stock, vegies & tinned tomatos.  Top with mashed potatoes & bake

Just a few ideas Hope it helps

#7 kandj

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Aside from the usual suspects (lasagne, spag bog etc) we do a mixed dhal that freezes really well. One batch can make several nights dinners.
it can be eaten with rice and some natural yoghurt, fresh coriander and mango chutney.
or in a wrap with some yoghurt, coriander and some grilled chicken (I whack a breast in the oven with some cummin powder and ras el hanout on it to give it a bit of extra flavour boost)
or in a wrap with falafels and yogurt and salad stuff.

I can find the recipe if you like.

it has red lentils, yellow split peas, brown lentils and green split peas. a couple onions, the usual curry type spices and garlic and ginger. oh and black mustard seeds.

#8 *LucyE*

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

The usual variations of pasta bakes - bolognese sauce with some white sauce and pasta mix through.  Topped with more bechmel sauce and grated cheese.  Freeze in pyrex containers.  I put it into the oven from frozen for about 40 mins at about 160C.  Serve with a simple garden salad with a minimal fuss.

Soups - our staples are chicken and veg soup (usually with pearl barley), pumpkin soup, pea and ham soup etc.  I freeze in plastic containers.  I'm liking the round ones because I can tip it straight into my pots from frozen.  I heat it on the stove top because I don't have a microwave.  Serve with bread, my kids like cheesey toast.

Stews and casseroles.  I often freeze leftovers and use them as pie fillings.

Home made pizzas.  I will often freeze some spares when we make them for an easy meal later.

I also freeze side dishes so I can just cook some meat, throw the sides in the oven and make a quick salad.  Potato bake, garlic bread, polenta, savoury souffles, creamed corn, veggie fritters, mac'n'cheese, etc.

#9 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

I am loving trawling through this site for inspiration:

http://onceamonthmom.com/menus/whole-foods/

They are US based, so you need to shift 6 months to adjust for the seeasons, and some ingedients are not as common in Australia.  But as a starting point it can be good.  

I particularly like the while foods menus and the diet menus. The others tend to be very processed and high fat/carb for my liking.  original.gif

#10 butterflydreaming

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

I love once a month mom and have been following their menus for the most part since I had DD ten weeks ago, just remember though the menus are seasonal so you need to look six months back/forward. At the moment we are eating the august 2012 mini menu.

#11 Snot stew

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

I pretty much freeze anything, with the exception of dairy products, and cooked rice and pasta.  I love coming home to a quick boil em up soup or casserole, especially in winter, and much healthier than takeaway original.gif.

I made a great veg stew yesterday and am freezing the leftovers.  There isn't enough left for another full meal so when I defrost it, I'm going to cook up some chicken and add it in.

Another favourite of mine is this:

Lamb, lentil and orange veg stew

Ingredients:
700g lamb (any cut, no bones)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lge brown onion, chopped
2cm piece fresh ginger (peeled and grated) or a heaped tsp of ground ginger from a jar
2 garlic cloves, crushed or two tsp ground garlic from a jar
3 tsp Moroccan seasoning
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
250g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces (you can leave the skin on but DH doesn't like it)
1 sml sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2cm pieces
400g brown lentils (a can or, soak 400g of the dried ones in cold water for a few hours)
1 tbsp dried coriander leaves

Directions:
1.  Heat oil over med-high heat and brown the onion and lamb (use a large saucepan or a big pot).  Add ginger, garlic and seasoning, stir until fragrant.
2.  Add stock, tomato paste, cinnamon, pumpkin and sweet potato.  Cover and bring to the boil.  Reduce heat and simmer gently for at least 1.5 hours (you could do this in a slow cooker for probably 4 or 5 hours).  Add lentils and stir through, continuing to simmer for about 10 mins.  
3.  Serve - or allow to cool and then freeze.

(This serves about 4 or 5 very hungry people or you could halve it and serve it with bread or rice)

(Edit to make sense)

Edited by Orange Underpants, 22 February 2013 - 08:48 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.