Mum gives birth alone in a major Sydney hospital

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#1 countrylivingmum

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/birth/birt...0222-2ev8n.html
I can't believe this the poor women. If this isn't proof that something needs to be done in our hospitals what is?I just have no words!! Can't believe that this can happen.

Edited by EBmel, 22 February 2013 - 09:19 AM.
Changed to EB link

#2 RealityBites

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

Gosh!

#3 Riotproof

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

I am so glad that nothing went wrong, tha poor lady.

#4 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

I just read it on ninemsn! I can't believe this dude though
"Acting director of nursing and midwifery David Simmonds said before the birth itself there was no indication Kristy was in established labour."
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/0...rs-her-own-baby

Contractions, dilation, extreme pain - seriously not an indication of established labour. I bet she just popped one out to be nuisance. What a moron.

#5 Chelli

Oh wow nno.gif

#6 Guest_Sunnycat_*

How awful!

#7 Bomber girl

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

I think it is very sad but my first birth was like that. I was lying quietly on the bed when I sad to the midwife I think I need to push. She said are you sure and I said I think so. She got up to have a feel and saw the head. It was panic stations from then so I can understand how it could happen, especially being her first

#8 qak

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

I wonder what the staff were doing???

#9 glasnost

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

5- 10 minutes for a nurse to come and assist? Did I read that right- she was sitting there with her baby for between five and ten minutes before a nurse came to assist her! Far out, that is awful.

#10 tres-chic

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Sounds terrifying. I'm glad that it all turned out ok and the baby's fine. As they said in the article, very lucky indeed that there weren't tragic consequences.

#11 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Sounds like sensationalist rot to me. Birthing can happen very, very quickly and a 5-10 minute response rate for answering a buzzer is hardly dire. I'd need to have a lot more details available before passing judgement.

#12 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

ohmy.gif

WTF? That's a disgrace.
And what the hell were they doing sending her family home if she was in labour???

#13 Cantankerous

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Mmm I think there's is more to to. I reckon if the women should have screamed for help like most people would not sit quietly waiting for a nurse to answer a buzzer. I am a nurse we get busy a buzzer is we get there when we can screams for help however are usually taken as urgent. Or even pushing the emergency button would have been better. While I feel sorry for the women I hate the fact it will be blamed on the mids and nurses when really they were probably doing the best they could.

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (qak @ 21/02/2013, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder what the staff were doing???

Possibly tending to other patients?
Don't get angry at the midwives, get angry at the the funding which sees midwives trying to spread themselves around twice as many patients as they should safely be caring for.

It happens, this has happened to me, it has happened to many midwives. Not every mother labours the way the books say they should.
For some woman going from irregular mild contractions to head on view can take moments and you can NOT predict it will happen.

I am glad the mother and the baby are both well.

#15 EBeditor

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

Just horrible. I didn't have midwives in the room with me while labouring but my partner was there and I was receiving regular checks.

#16 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 21/02/2013, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like sensationalist rot to me. Birthing can happen very, very quickly and a 5-10 minute response rate for answering a buzzer is hardly dire. I'd need to have a lot more details available before passing judgement.

Well it would be pretty dire in an emergency. Seconds would matter, let alone 15 minutes. And how would they know how dire it was without showing up?

When my mum was in hospital (cancer ward) it would often take this long for the nurses to attend, and in this time the poor guy next to us wet himself as nobody came to help him to the toilet sad.gif  Not life threatening, but what an unnecessary humiliation for him, such a loss of dignity. And of course much more work to then change him and his bedding etc. We stayed with mum about 18 hours a day to try to ensure this didn't happen to her. At least the staff were understanding in terms of not throwing us out, because they knew they couldn't cover the gap.
I'm not complaining about the nursing staff - they were excellent - just really understaffed and overworked.

It's not okay.

#17 Cath42

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

That poor lady. The thought of a woman having to resort to whatever painkillers she had in her bag (Panadiene? Panadol?) until she birthed her baby face down on her bed, whereupon her room mates had to come to her assistance is just shocking. I'm sure it happens all the time in countries like The Congo, but this is Australia and it is nothing short of an outrage that in a wealthy country like this one, our women are treated so appallingly.

But I feel sorry for the midwives, too. They are doing the absolute best they can in a woefully inadequate and understaffed system and their morale is low. Before anyone castigates the Blacktown Hospital midwives, let's not forget that they are being expected by hospital managers and governments to do the impossible. One midwife cannot adequately care for 5 labouring women at once, no matter how experienced or efficient she is. It is testament to these midwives' dediciation to their work that they keep turning up to work day after day, knowing that their working environment makes it impossible for them to do their jobs properly. I feel just as awful for the midwives who were at work at that time as I do for the poor woman concerned.

#18 FeralHez

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

So glad bub and mum are ok.

Dd snuck up on the nurses but they were there in the room, in birth suite (induction, so different from spontaneous presentation).

I do hope they give Mum quality debrief and counselling if she feels she needs it.

#19 FeralHez

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Dp

Edited by HezzaB, 21 February 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#20 Soontobegran

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (CallMeProtart @ 21/02/2013, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ohmy.gif

WTF? That's a disgrace.
And what the hell were they doing sending her family home if she was in labour???

Because the families do get sent home if the mother is having irregular mild contractions. Most women have plenty of warning and time to get family back in. She was monitored and it was deemed as not being in established labour so they given pain relief, I am sure they hoped she would sleep for a couple of hours to prepare for what lay ahead.

There is no crystal ball, it very rare for someone to deliver this way.

#21 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (CallMeProtart @ 21/02/2013, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well it would be pretty dire in an emergency. Seconds would matter, let alone 15 minutes. And how would they know how dire it was without showing up?

In a perfect world, filled with many, many nursing and midwifery staff, yes, buzzers would be in answered within minutes. However, in the real world, 5-10 minutes to answer an ordinary buzzer is realistic and to be honest, prompt. An emergency buzzer or a patient screaming for help will always elicit a much quicker response. Expecting a buzzer to be answered within seconds is incredibly naive and will never, ever happen in real life.

No, it's not okay that this women delivered on her own, but as I said, without a heap more detail being available, I will reserve judgement.

Edited by Swahili, 21 February 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#22 Soontobegran

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (EBeditor @ 21/02/2013, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just horrible. I didn't have midwives in the room with me while labouring but my partner was there and I was receiving regular checks.

Midwives do not usually sit in with a patient in early labour if they have a supportive birth partner and this is not only because they do not have the one on one staff to do so but because it is nice for the couple to have privacy. They will be there when the time comes for delivery, if the mother is alone or something is going wrong.

#23 Soontobegran

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

DP

Edited by soontobegran, 21 February 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#24 loulou_b

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

5-10 minute response rate for answering a buzzer is hardly dire.

that's "rot" if you ask me.

I think it's reasonable to expect  aid to arrive within 10 minutes. especially at night on an average ward when not all that much is happening i.e. most patients are asleep.

i waited over 10 minutes in the bathroom the day after a c/s ... I needed help to move and get dressed ...seriously i couldn't stand anymore and was sitting on the shower floor.  In the end i got so sick of waiting that I crawled over to the stand (SORRY maybe TMI,left a very wet and bloody trail btw) and phoned my husband's mobile (he was in the corridor with the baby).  Well over 15 minutes until a nurse got in there.  I was so scared to press the emergency button because I thought they'd tell me off, because you know, I wasn't dying or anything.... but I did expect a quicker response.

I just mention my story because I can totally understand how this woman had to wait that long.

IF the nurses were extremely busy then I do feel sorry for them, however that as an excuse isn't good enough when people are sick or in pain.  

#25 EBeditor

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Midwives do not usually sit in with a patient in early labour if they have a supportive birth partner and this is not only because they do not have the one on one staff to do so but because it is nice for the couple to have privacy. They will be there when the time comes for delivery, if the mother is alone or something is going wrong.

I know that - I was not saying it was a bad thing. But if a woman has no other support then you'd think perhaps she'd be checked on more often?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.