Phuket
What sort of budget?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lilmissmuffet

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hi

DH and I loved Thailand pre-kids and travelled all over. Now we'd like to return with our 3 and 6 year old but just stay put in one area. Phuket just because we went to Koh Samui last time and Phuket seems to have more to do for kids.

What sort of cost/budget should we consider reasonable? 10 nights maximum. Maybe a buy 5 nights, get 5 nights free type deals, including airfares and transfers.

Thinking of 3-4 star hotels/resorts, activities, nice but not fancy restaurants, shoulder season (maybe late Jan-early Feb).

Has anyone got any thoughts on how much it might cost in total?

I'm wondering whether it's doable on less than $5K? (Here's hoping!)

#2 countrylivingmum

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

I would not stay in patong beach it's very umm sexualised with lots of fire works going off all night.

I would stay a lil out of patong maybe around kata beach.
It really depends on what type of holiday you want it's not as cheap as it used to be I would say budget of $300 a day not that you would spend that every day but some days will be more expensive then others ect also look on all the hotel web sites ect. As I always find going thru flight centre or other travel agents seem to cost a bit more.

#3 lilmissmuffet

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

I thought Kata  beach would be the nicest place to stay. Definitely not Patong.

How much did you pay all up? $300 per day = wowsers!

#4 Jareluma

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

Try http://www.expedia.com.au/ for holiday deals. We're taking our 4 kids to Phuket in October for 14 days and its costing us just over $5700 for flights and accom, we plan on having about $250-300 spending money each day. We initially looked at patong beach but chose karon beach because we'd heard that karon is closer to kid friendly places.

Edited by Jareluma, 21 February 2013 - 10:29 PM.

#5 countrylivingmum

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

We did go on our honey moon we stayed three star but in the balcony spa suite (not something we usually do) and flyed virgin flights were about $1200 return from perth and accommodation was $2500 for 16 nights. We did it a bit fancier then what we usually would being our honey moon.
I say $300 a day because the activities are not as cheap as they used to be and having to pay for all four of you   Example we did an island tour it cost us $50 or $ 60 each they supplied lunch but you had to buy your drinks and snacks. You won't always spend it every day but some activity days can easily cost that.

Also don't go to the zoo it's horrible and very distressing!Where are you flying from?

#6 zenah18

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (countrylivingmum @ 22/02/2013, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also don't go to the zoo it's horrible and very distressing!Where are you flying from?
    I was crying the whole time watching the elephant show. They treat animals like sh*t.

#7 carls888

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

When we go to Thailand we normally take $100 per day spending money on top of all accommodation and flights. We often stay in places where we are at club level so much of the food is available daily.

We also shop a bit, but not bring heaps of stuff back.

We eat heaps and enjoy the culture. We are off again in July for our 9th trip, our second with children.

I agree about Phuket, we haven't been for ages as it used to be great, but now it's not our scene. That said, Kata or Kata noi are both lovely spots. We are off to Hua Hin again this year, it's a lot more chilled but not as nice beaches there.

Happy travels,

C

PS: we don't drink, but if you do I would say $300 per day as alchohol costs a bomb in Thailand, also remember that you cannot take duty free grog back to Australia from Thailand you have to buy it in Australia before you go through customs.

Edited by carls888, 22 February 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#8 countrylivingmum

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

Zenha18 it was the poor mangy looking rabbits that got to me the most I still have visions of them the poor little things! We had to leave as I was just to upset.

Lil missmuffet: to be honest I think Bali is better for kids it has heaps more stuff for them to do and is cheaper. its just my opinion.
Plus the safari park is really good if your worried about the drinking with methonal only drink beer or premix. Water bom park is awesome and I think you could easily do the whole thing for five grand and have a great holiday:) Phuket is just not very family orientated.

#9 TheSmithFamily

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hi there,

Cost wise including flights it depends on where you are flying from in Australia?

I love Thailand but for me Phuket was not cheap and not as culturally interesting as places like Chiang Mai in the north or other islands like Koh lanta or the Krabi coast.

I think your budget of 5g all up is doable you just need some budget fares!

Bron

#10 zenah18

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (countrylivingmum @ 22/02/2013, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zenha18 it was the poor mangy looking rabbits that got to me the most I still have visions of them the poor little things! We had to leave as I was just to upset.

That's so sad. I couldn't believe when I saw it that they had a stick that had a sharp metal nail at the end of the stick and when the elephant wouldn't cooperate they would smack the elephant with it. My husband and I saw one elephant have little spots of blood on its head. Never again will I go to Thailand, it's a beautiful country but so many things p*ssed me off over there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.