Engagement Cake

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 *Lilami*

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

My Bestie (maid of honour) and I are going to attempt to make my engagement cake.

Im going to make a white chocolate mud cake, im thinking square with a smaller square cake on top and then decorate it with the ready to roll icing.

Can i freeze this once it's made, iced and all? I want to make it about 2 weeks beforehand just incase of any stuff ups in which time i'll have to either make a new one or buy one!

We also have about 60ppl coming to our engagement party and 30 kids  ohmy.gif
How big will i have to make this cake?

I wasn't going to go huge. Then i'll just serve everyone a small piece.

We are having a backyard party with spit roast pork, roasted veggies, rolls, gravy, salads etc

any cake making tips are much appreciated!!

TIA

#2 mum to1

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

If you've never covered a cake with fondant before a round cake would be easier then a square, u can make n freeze in advance but can't freeze the fondant, infact once fondant is on do not even put in fridge maybe a 10 n 8 inch round for 60ppl, a square cake feeds more ppl so u could go a sz down for that.

#3 Missy Shelby

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Can I suggest OP that for the kiddies I would make up a heap of cup cakes for them.

You know what kids are like with a piece of cake they have one bite and then they have had enough.

This way you can keep the engagement cake relatively small and just do some lovely cup cakes that possibly compliment the cake for the kids.

#4 Baa baa

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

I've got a beautiful white choc mud cake recipe that you're supposed to make at least 7 days ahead, it really moistens up and is delicious.

I'll see if I can find it if you like. I wouldn't freeze it iced, I don't think that would work very well but ganache and chocolate curls look pretty and aren't too difficult to do on the day.

#5 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

White Chocolate Mud Cake

This site also has a fantastic choc mud cake as well.  I've made them both several times.  I can't help you with the fondant icing though.

#6 SqueakyBee

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

I second Cranky Old Woman's link, the Exclusively Food white choc mudcake always comes out well. It's delicious!

They also recommend making ahead to get the fullest flavour.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.