Dry Hens Party

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 veggiepatchfamily

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

I am after ideas for my sister.
She is in charge of arranging a hens party for the last of their group of friends.
Each of the other parties has cost money (such as hiring a house to go stay in) and nights out with drinking and silly games.

However now every person attending the function (except the bride) is either breastfeeding or pregnant.

She is totally stumped as to what to do.
They were thinking a high tea, however they aren't able to cook food as they just cant find time.
They cant really do an event such as a class or something as the babies will need feeding/settling at different times so its highly unlikely everyone will be participating at the same time.

I suggested just doing it at one of their houses and maybe hiring a beautician or something like that, possibly two or three different things and having little station type things and also getting our chef sister to cater. Possibly even hiring a nanny for the day so the mums can feel a little freedom.

She is located in the south east suburbs of Melbourne.

Can you suggest some fun ideas that will still make it a hens night to remember and could you suggest some local contacts to use.

#2 CharliMarley

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

I think Hen's Nights have gone over the top, in the last 20 years and all those young people falling around the streets drunk and getting their friends to hold their hair out of the vomit - not a good look sad.gif
What is wrong with bringing back the nice "kitchen tea" theme. Usually held in someone's house with food and cups of tea and a few games. Nobody vomits in the bushes and the next day heads are quite clear and your liver is saved. cclap.gif

#3 kitkatswing

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

Platters of food (order so no having to make), constant kettle. I like the pampering idea, it would be lovely to attend!.
Massage, nails, facials etc...

Hens dont need to be over the top! I only had one drink on mine (my Australian one anyway) as I had laryngitis and couldnt speak)..  Still had a fantastic night (Draculas)

#4 Therese

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I think the idea of a beautician coming out is a great one. And then maybe some nice afternoon tea as well.

#5 Carmen02

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (Therese @ 22/02/2013, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the idea of a beautician coming out is a great one. And then maybe some nice afternoon tea as well.

i agree, massages and nails the works..with snacks and things

#6 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

I like your ideas but make sure the beautician is up to date on what pregnant women can and can't be exposed to (I have no idea I just vaguely recall there being things incompatible with pregnancy)

A high tea at someone's house with the salon/spa day?

Hire a couple of nanny's, a bunch of portacots (!) and you can still have fun.

You can still play games - maybe the more celebrity heads and charades type ones than guess how big the husbands c*ck is, but still - it could be nice original.gif

#7 Ally'smum

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I think a high tea at home, with a nanny would be great.

Do they need anything more than that?

I wouldn't be into doing any beauty treatments in a group environment, but beautiful food, non-alcholic champagne and someone to entertain the kids would be a great afternoon/night out in my book.

How things have changed!

#8 zande

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

What about going out for a nice lunch at a great venue, or a really flash high tea out?

#9 Holidayromp

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Bugger going to the expense of nannies - don't the babies/children have fathers?  I am sure a couple of hours wouldn't kill them.

I second the kitchen tea idea.  I attended one when the bride was pregnant with her first.  There were games - one a memory one and the other pin the willy on the man.  There were cream cakes and other foods and some alcohol in the form of low alcohol wines/normal strength and a wide range of soft drinks.

It was a fantastic afternoon and only went for about two or three hours.  

However if you are time poor re food most places do catering.  Bakeries can supply the cream cakes etc, coles and woollies provide really nice platters or pay someone to cater finger food.

#10 Cirrus

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

What about a private mums and bubs Yoga class, in an area not too far but far enough to feel like a getaway - eg go to Kallista tea house for scones etc then Yarra ranges yoga.
Mums and bubs yoga teachers encourage mums to break to attend to their baby whenever they like

#11 RedBob

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

A catered high tea would be great, especially because then the bride to be can have a couple of glasses of champagne if she wants to but no one else need to.

#12 Holidayromp

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Cirrus @ 22/02/2013, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about a private mums and bubs Yoga class, in an area not too far but far enough to feel like a getaway - eg go to Kallista tea house for scones etc then Yarra ranges yoga.
Mums and bubs yoga teachers encourage mums to break to attend to their baby whenever they like

Why would the bride want to do this when she isn't pregnant herself?  Great idea if you are pregnant but not everyone is into yoga!

#13 Apageintime

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don't see why they can't just have a lunch at someones place, get a couple of platters ordered from somewhere if she doesn't have time to prepare.

Why do hen's have to be these massively complicated events.

I didn't even have one!

#14 76 others

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

No offence but I feel sorry for the bride. Everyone else got their party. Letting loose and having a night out doesn't have to equal throwing up in a gutter. A mums and bubs yoga class? Seriously. So this bride gets to be surrounded by kids and talking about kids on her hens? Woohoo, lucky lady. Especially since she most likely went to theirs.

#15 veggiepatchfamily

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (Gloriosa @ 22/02/2013, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No offence but I feel sorry for the bride. Everyone else got their party. Letting loose and having a night out doesn't have to equal throwing up in a gutter. A mums and bubs yoga class? Seriously. So this bride gets to be surrounded by kids and talking about kids on her hens? Woohoo, lucky lady. Especially since she most likely went to theirs.

That where my sister is feeling bad. She wants to try and find something for the bride, it is her time.

She wants to make sure the bride also has a fun day.
They aren't the puking in the gutters kind of girls, the silly games they played were dressing up as commandos and when the bridesmaids blew their whistle one, everyone in the hens group had to drop and do pushups (no matter where they were or what they were doing- ie on the dance floor, getting a drink), two whistles meant other things etc.
Another friend they booked a beach house and went and did surfing lessons followed by a beach mohito party (stayed at the house they had rented).

She is thinking of a high tea due to the other guests who are coming. Babies will be aged from 4 weeks to 4 months. The bride is quite a settled girl too, but will still want something fun that they can all remember and talk about later.

Husbands cant really have the babies as the girls are all spread out over the state so will have to bring their babies and obviously don't want the husband to be there to mind the kids.

Has any one done anything like taro card reading, or any other different sort of activity?
Or could they think of something in that area that they could do? Even if it is something special for the bride to be to do and they can watch? All that is coming to mind is throwing the bride out of a plane...  mellow.gif

They are a close group of friends and they don't want one friend not to get 'her night' just because their group of girls all have kids.

#16 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Last hen's party I went to had 3 beauticians for the afternoon - manicure station, pedicure station and a head, neck, shoulder massage station.  It was held at someone's house, in the big rumpus/family room area.  You "booked" any treatments that you wanted before the afternoon (and pre-paid).  It was great.  It was just canape & snack food during the afternoon with a variety of drinks (non-alcoholic and alcohol).  Those who wanted to, stayed later and headed to the local pub for dinner.  It was relaxed and casual and just a bunch of friends catching up to wish the bride good luck.  The girls who brought their babies/toddlers used a nearby spare room for changing babies, naps, etc.  It wasn't a big deal if there were babies or toddlers, but most left their kids with the fathers as they wanted the afternoon off from "mummy duty". (ETA : One mum left her newborn with Dad, but Dad turned up half-way through the afternoon with baby for her feed. Mum fed baby, gave her a cuddle and then Dad took off again with baby.  Barely noticed what was going on)

My cousin did a cheesecake tasting night for her hen's night.   It was very successful.  biggrin.gif  I really quite enjoyed that night.

I didn't have a hen's night, so am quietly amused at the lengths that some brides have gone to have their "special night".

OP, maybe a balloon ride??  They usually go for 30-60 minutes.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 22 February 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#17 ~~Cleopatra~~

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

I think the high tea is a great idea, somewhere nice and child- friendly or catered at home. The bride can still drink champagne...

As there are only little babies in attendance she could also do something like a Pash party if they want to have some fun wink.gif

#18 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

An afternoon tea with fruit platters and nibblies, all of which can be ordered fresh, and some delicious non-alcoholic drinks.

For entertainment they could do silly games like getting to know the bride/groom, toilet paper brides and other relatively kid-friendly things, if the bride is likely to enjoy that stuff, or a nail tech to do manis or pedis would be nice.

My kitchen tea was mostly dry - there was wine there, but most people didn't drink and it was too bloody hot anyway. People still had fun.

#19 niggles

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Do children have to be in attendance? There would be a lot more options and it would be a lot simpler if you are only catering for the women and not their kids as well. I would think most people would be happy to leave their babies at home for a few hours and just spend time with their friends.

#20 Bunsen the feral

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Does anyone have a house with a big outdoor area/lawn? Then get in a company to put on a high tea eg these guys, haven't used them but it looks great out on the lawn and get a nanny to watch the babies inside or there will be enough room for prams outside.

Or what about fancy restaurants that have a private room so you could take the babies for lunch? Sorry I don't know Melbourne so no idea where.

#21 TopsyTurvy

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I like the high tea at someone's house idea, plus the nanny and beauticians.

For a bit of extra fun, could she have it as a murder mystery type event, where mums (and bubs where possible) all dress up in the theme of the murder mystery?

Edit:  this would fit the theme well

http://au.host-party.com/Home/Viewsynopsis/45

Edited by TopsyTurvy, 22 February 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#22 cornflake head

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I think you could do a lunch/afternoon tea, love the pampering idea, THEN throw her out of a plane.   biggrin.gif  

Maybe everyone could chip in so she could get a photo done for the memories (a friend had a video done and said it was hard to enjoy the jump as she was being told look here, do this etc).

#23 than4

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (veggiepatchfamily @ 22/02/2013, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That where my sister is feeling bad. She wants to try and find something for the bride, it is her time.

She wants to make sure the bride also has a fun day.
They aren't the puking in the gutters kind of girls, the silly games they played were dressing up as commandos and when the bridesmaids blew their whistle one, everyone in the hens group had to drop and do pushups (no matter where they were or what they were doing- ie on the dance floor, getting a drink), two whistles meant other things etc.
Another friend they booked a beach house and went and did surfing lessons followed by a beach mohito party (stayed at the house they had rented).

She is thinking of a high tea due to the other guests who are coming. Babies will be aged from 4 weeks to 4 months. The bride is quite a settled girl too, but will still want something fun that they can all remember and talk about later.

Husbands cant really have the babies as the girls are all spread out over the state so will have to bring their babies and obviously don't want the husband to be there to mind the kids.

Has any one done anything like taro card reading, or any other different sort of activity?
Or could they think of something in that area that they could do? Even if it is something special for the bride to be to do and they can watch? All that is coming to mind is throwing the bride out of a plane...  mellow.gif

They are a close group of friends and they don't want one friend not to get 'her night' just because their group of girls all have kids.

I organised a hen do for my friend when my baby was 3 months old and it was HARD.  Like your friend, most of our group was either pregnant, breastfeeding or had small children.  

The bride wanted a yarra valley wine tour and high tea so that was what we did - but it was a LONG day for me to be away from bubs and I had to go away twice to express.

Given the ages of the babies I think most Mum's and pregnant ladies would love a bit of pampering.  I was heavily pushing for Peninsula Hot Springs for the hen do I was organising original.gif  Hopefully the bride can also enjoy a glass or three of wine and some great catch up and stories with her friends before the big day.

Even though a lot of the ladies are travelling could maybe the Dad's congregate somewhere too to look after the bubs?  The bride's place and the ladies go out?  A large hotel room or hired apartment/house nearby?

#24 nadi~bicardi

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

For a girlfriend's hen's night I organised a Divine Feminine hen's party.  These lovely ladies came and set up a Turkish style tent in her mum's loungeroom (Melbourne SE suburbs) with cushions on the floor and we did henna tatooing, a tarot reading for the bride to be, a bit of head and neck massage (she did have pregnancy friendly oils available) and we all put together a love potion for the bride and groom and got to tell the bride what we loved about her and what we wished for her marriage.  It wasn't necessarily intended to be a dry night, but it just kind of ended up that way because we were having a lovely time without feeling the need to drink.  

There were a few pregnant ladies there.  There weren't any babies but I don't see why you couldn't have babies there if they were little ones who aren't walking and talking yet.

It was a lovely event and I booked it because I was looking for some alternative to a drunken night in a club or a winery/shopping tour.

#25 Epitome

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

talk to these guys

http://www.threadden.com/_pages/hens_parties.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.