(fluff)Name change after marriage by feminist?
Because it's funny?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Dinosaurus

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Look - I have never ever thought I would change my name if I got married, nor was particularly worried about the whole marriage part.

However after a few health scares and an overseas family me and DP have decided to get married so each of us has immediate (unquestionable) legal rights over each other's health decisions if need be (and death if need be).

Anyway.

He has the same surname of a rather well known dictator/revolutionary.

I have a surname synonymous with kill.

I think hyphenating our surnames will be funny FOREVER.

He refuses, so it would just be me having all the fun.

WDYT - worth putting aside some feminist ideals for a life-long joke?

#2 BetteBoop

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

You don't have to formally change your name to use his name after you marry.

Personally, I would use it as an alias. That way, when the joke gets old, you don't have to change your name on anything official.

#3 tres-chic

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Different circumstances, but...I was absolutely adamant I would not change my name when I got married. However, DH came from a (very) broken home and felt like all the different names in his home had highlighted the fractures within his family.

Because he felt so strongly about it we compromised - it was the first big compromise of my life. [We did a deal that I would change my name and he would wear a wedding ring (he's not a jewellery type of guy).]

I do miss my name sometimes but really it's not been that big of a deal.

Without knowing your names exactly I would probably avoid something really silly if I could.

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

Do it. And then tell us what the name is we can all laugh along with you biggrin.gif

Edited by Sunnycat, 22 February 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#5 Sir Dinosaurus

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I can see me being way too lazy to change it at work or on already existing paperwork, but maybe on new stuff I can call myself "Dinosaurus Kill-Hitler" - especially at a doctors surgery and airport, I could make them call my full name out.

I have a silly sense of humour - I wouldn't do it to my kids but I honestly think i will still find it funny in 40 years biggrin.gif

#6 BetteBoop

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

If you were anything like me, you would. If I find something funny, I always find it funny.

I saw this tshirt years ago, and every now and then, it pops into my head and I have a bit of a chuckle.

always funny to me!

#7 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Do it! Do it! Do it! DO IT! tthumbs.gif

#8 Sir Dinosaurus

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Very good BB!

I had a t-shirt that I wore to death that said

"Follow Me! I'm revolting"

I still think that is hilarious too.

I presume since women are always chattels to men I can go unofficial to start with then change it a few years later when I have confirmed to myself that it is still hilarious?

#9 BobTony

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

You know you want to laugh.gif

Plus, you know WE want you to  biggrin.gif

#10 BetteBoop

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Follow me, I'm revolting.

Tee hee.

I will still be laughing about that in a year's time.

#11 Sir Dinosaurus

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Damn you BB I have now ordered that t-shirt.

My students better laugh at my hilarity.

You owe me $22.

#12 Bunsen

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

Consider it your duty to prove that feminists can have a sense of humour

#13 BetteBoop

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Dinosaurus @ 22/02/2013, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Damn you BB I have now ordered that t-shirt.

My students better laugh at my hilarity.

You owe me $22.

I really want the shirt, but I've never bought it. I just can't see me pulling it off.

I barely have the chutzpah to wear this one, which I do own:

http://www.facebook.com/KeepCampbellToAcco...e=1&theater

#14 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

Great. Now I am going to spend the whole day trying to work out your potential surname.

#15 Bel Rowley

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I am about as anti-surname-changing-fembo-protart as you can get, but I would do the hyphen biggrin.gif (and buy the t-sh*t).

#16 cinnabubble

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I have always loved that tshirt but can't wear it because I'm not sure my feminism is Marxist.

I think Mrs Murder-Lenin would lose its humour after a while.

#17 Sir Dinosaurus

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

I didn't know you were a Queenslander BB! I was a queenslander for a few years - I was there when Beattie was in though so we just saw his happy smiling face everywhere saying "oops" and no one worried laughing2.gif

AA - It is really as simple as Kill-Hitler, if you go to the thesaurus you will find my surname under Kill and  just replace Hitler with another well-known dictator (20thC) - the joke is the same whoever the dictator is - Although we have named our cat the same first name as said dictator so when he goes to the vet they say his full name and we fall about laughing. Disturbingly, a lot of the younger vets and staff don't know of the appalling atrocities committed by this man - maybe he got swept up in the whole Hitler part of history and was largely ignored because no matter how horrible you were, you weren't hitler!

Anyway - it's really simple and I am not telling biggrin.gif

#18 BobTony

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

Lynch-Stalin has a pretty good ring to it  biggrin.gif

#19 BetteBoop

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm a fan of Murder-Mussolini.

#20 Lucretia Borgia

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

um....Murder-Mussolini?

Slaughter-Stalin?

Burn-Bush (at the stake)?

are we getting close?

#21 Sir Dinosaurus

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Bob is closest.

#22 BobTony

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Lynch-Franco  biggrin.gif

#23 Swarley

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yes, I just went to thesaurus.com Tounge1.gif

I'm really hoping it's Annihilate-Stalin, but maybe Slay-Stalin is more believable.
I say do it biggrin.gif

#24 la di dah

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

I knew someone with the last name Slaughter.

Slaughter-Pol Pot has a great ring to it.

#25 Sir Dinosaurus

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

I think it's virtual compulsory that I do it. Then everyone who has me on FB will know and can tell everyone else biggrin.gif

It would be mean for every new pet to have the same name just for amusement wouldn't it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.