HPV vaccination for boys
pros and cons

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 SMforshort

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Boys are now being offered the HPV vaccination.  The main benefit I have heard is that it will reduce the spread of this virus and decrease the rate of cervical cancer in women.

So what are the benefits for boys?  What are the risks?

Of course I would like to see fewer women being diagnosed with cervical cancer.  Like all of us I'd like to see all cancer eradicated.

But am I exposing my boys to a risk by giving them a vaccination that has no benefits for them?

My boys have had all the other recommended vaccinations and I am in no way anti-vaccination, I just want to do the right thing by my boys.

SM

#2 PatG

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Well, first of all there is the benefit to your boys of decreasing the risk that their wife/girlfriend/mother of your grandchildren will develop cervical cancer....

Secondly HPV is also linked to cancers which can affect males -  anal, penile and head and neck cancers (oropharyngeal cancers).

#3 FluffyOscar

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

I would imagine that not passing a virus that leads to a cancer that can kill your son's partner and the mother of his children might be a good one.

Also to reduce his risk of getting HPV (unless he intends using condoms for all sexual relationships if he becomes infected or discloses this fact). Having the virus may decrease his chance of getting laid.

Also because it is the right thing to do.

#4 alisona

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Some research also suggests a link between circumcision and HPV transmission.   This is NOT a post about circumcision - just a comment that if this research is true then with the decline in circumcision maybe the vaccine could help counter any increase in transmission of HPV.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2157...ncer-rates.html

#5 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Hungry beast, the ABC program, did a great story about this a couple of years back, campaigning for boys to be included in the vaccination schedule. At that point, the only negative was cost (as it wasn't subsidised for males), but the advice then was that men should be getting the vax if at all possible.  

I haven't heard of any negative effects of the vax for men.  And stopping your son getting HPV is a pretty big plus.  It has links to cancer in men, too, though not strongly linked (at this stage).

#6 SMforshort

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

By those two arguments, castrating him would protect women as well.  Who knows, he might be gay or end up entering a celebate religious order and not be a risk to women anyway.

I'm not saying I'm against it.

I just want to know what the risks/benefits are to him.

PatG, you mentioned higher rates of other cancers triggered by this virus.  How much higher are the rates of cancer?

And I still don't have any idea what the risks of this vaccination are.  Is it risk free?

SM

#7 FluffyOscar

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (SMforshort @ 22/02/2013, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By those two arguments, castrating him would protect women as well.  Who knows, he might be gay or end up entering a celebate religious order and not be a risk to women anyway.

In the event your son is gay, then the risk will be to his male partner, and vice versa if the partner is not vaccinated.

QUOTE (SMforshort @ 22/02/2013, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And I still don't have any idea what the risks of this vaccination are.  Is it risk free?

So ask EB. Good idea  rolleyes.gif

#8 PatG

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (SMforshort @ 22/02/2013, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not saying I'm against it.

I just want to know what the risks/benefits are to him.

PatG, you mentioned higher rates of other cancers triggered by this virus.  How much higher are the rates of cancer?

SM

I'm not sure what you mean by higher rates of other cancers?  I mentioned that HPV is linked to cancers other than cervical.  Perhaps you should ask your GP for some current literature or do some fact based research.  There is some info here from the US.  Among other things it says this "HPV types 16 and 18 have also been found to cause close to half of vaginal, vulvar, and penile cancers ".  

As far as risk of the vaccine - the consent forms you would complete as a parent should outline the current understanding regarding risks.

Edited by PatG, 22 February 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#9 SMforshort

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (FluffyOscar @ 22/02/2013, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the event your son is gay, then the risk will be to his male partner, and vice versa if the partner is not vaccinated.

So ask EB. Good idea  rolleyes.gif

So if my son is gay and he passes this virus onto a male partner, does it matter if there are no significant health risks to men from this virus?

As to why ask EB - I've had great help from EB members in the past who have helped me located information I've had trouble finding myself.

I find that vaccinations are a very devisive issue with people having strong (often opposing) views.  I will talk to my GP and I'm sure they'll have a strong view too.  Asking EB - I get lots of varied views and access to the knowledge of many intelligent women.  Why wouldn't I ask EB?

#10 April girl

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 22/02/2013, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, first of all there is the benefit to your boys of decreasing the risk that their wife/girlfriend/mother of your grandchildren will develop cervical cancer....

Secondly HPV is also linked to cancers which can affect males - anal, penile and head and neck cancers (oropharyngeal cancers).

Couldn't put it better myself PatG. I'll be getting my son immunised against HPV. To the PP re. circumscision - don't derail this thread FGS when it is important to get the word out about HPV vaccination in males.
To OP - if you have a daughter you would vaccinate against HPV I think you have your answer already.

#11 Frightbat

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

So protecting your child's future partner (regardless of their gender) isn't quite a good enough reason, and you are after more info.... Are you a bit bored tonight?

#12 alisona

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Here is some info on how HPV effects males:

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

and on HPV and cancer:

http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/cancer.html

And here's a site with stats about the vaccine's safety:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Vaccines/HPV/hpv_faqs.html

I know they are all US sites not Australian but it's late and I'm sleepy...

I'm very pro-vaccination not just for the health of the individual being vaccinated but also for the good of the whole community - but maybe that is because I have an immune suppressed child!

#13 Paddlepop

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (SMforshort @ 22/02/2013, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So if my son is gay and he passes this virus onto a male partner, does it matter if there are no significant health risks to men from this virus?

There are health risks to men from HPV: penile, anal and head and neck cancers. These locations are as a result of different types of sex ie anal, oral or vaginal, and they all involve a penis. They are relevent whether a man is straight or gay.

HPV also causes genital warts. They can be painful and embarrassing.

The only reason that the vaccine was initially only given to females was because of the cost-benefit relationship that could be demonstrated to the government. As time has progressed further clinical trials have been done on boys, and once again, the cost-benefit has been proven to the government for them to agree to fund it.

Risks of Gardasil vaccination can be found in the CMI leaflet located here:
http://www.nps.org.au/medicines/immune-sys...n-for-injection

Prof. Ian Frazer (co-inventor of Gardasil) vaccinated his own sons as soon as the vaccine was available.

Vaccinating both males and females will reduce the overall rate of HPV infection.

#14 4kidlets

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Also to reduce his risk of getting HPV (unless he intends using condoms for all sexual relationships if he becomes infected or discloses this fact). Having the virus may decrease his chance of getting laid.

Not by much it wont - up to 80% of sexually active persons have HPV infection at some stage. It is also usually asymptomatic.

Figure may well be decreasing of course as more people are vaccinated with Gardisil before they become sexually active but thats what it is at present.

#15 Illiterati

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

It would be great to eradicate the more harmful strains of the virus in the popularion (of which there are maybe hundreds) and those are the strains the vaccine targets - and vaccinating both genders would assist in that.

Who knows, given the risks of HPV - especially to women - a good question to ask a potential partner is : 'have you been vaccinated' . Condoms only partially protect as the virus is carried on the skin in the genital area rather than any body fluids etc.

#16 dsk72

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

I personally know of a man who was diagnosed with cancer caused by HPV in his throat a few years ago.  Fortunately his symptoms were picked up pretty quickly and after an operation and 12 months of pretty intensive chemo, he is now clear of the cancer.  However this man has losts a lot of his taste senses and has virtually no saliva.  This may be a permanent result of his illness and subsequent treatment.  And he was a lucky one.

If I had boys, I'd definitely be considering having them vaccinated against the spread of HPV, just as my daughters will be.

In fact I heard tell from a nurse who used to work with one of the people who developed the vaccine, that the developer had his own sons vaccinated to prevent just these types of things happening to them.

Cheers

#17 4kidlets

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (dsk72 @ 23/02/2013, 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact I heard tell from a nurse who used to work with one of the people who developed the vaccine, that the developer had his own sons vaccinated to prevent just these types of things happening to them.

Cheers

Yes this was mentioned up thread and yes is well documented fact.

#18 FluffyOscar

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (4kidlets @ 23/02/2013, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not by much it wont - up to 80% of sexually active persons have HPV infection at some stage. It is also usually asymptomatic.

Well I'm sure lots of women wouldn't have had sex with a guy with a visible wart on his wanger, so for those poor guys, yes I imagine it will decrease their chances.

#19 4kidlets

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Yes but most people with active HPV infection dont show symptoms - also Gardisil only protects agaisnt the strains of HPV most likely to cause cancer down the track, not against all strains - so vaccinated people can still develop genital warts.

Dont get me wrong, am all for HPV vaccination to help prevent all linked cancers - but its benifit is a long term one, not a short term one related to genital warts and the like.

#20 Froger

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

I went and spoke to my GP about getting my teen boys vaccinated, as my ex at first refused for it to be done. While I could have of made the decision unilaterally, I didn't want to argue with my ex.

Anyway, while the GP wasn't that helpful (in that he didn't really talk of benefits), he did make it clear that it wasn't dangerous as such (as my ex had been busy reading all sorts of crazy websites purporting to tell the "truth" about the vaccine).

So anyway after discussing with the GP I went ahead and my teen boys had the vaccination (first one only so far - there are three). They didn't get any problems apart from a bit of a sore arm. However they were very worried about it, as their lunatic father had told them all sorts of stories. And the poor things actually wrotes their wills the night before they had the vaccination. Thanks all you internet conspiracy theory nutters! wacko.gif

Edited by SarahM72, 23 February 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#21 rosiebird

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (4kidlets @ 23/02/2013, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes but most people with active HPV infection dont show symptoms - also Gardisil only protects agaisnt the strains of HPV most likely to cause cancer down the track, not against all strains - so vaccinated people can still develop genital warts.

Dont get me wrong, am all for HPV vaccination to help prevent all linked cancers - but its benifit is a long term one, not a short term one related to genital warts and the like.

No, it also protects against the two most common strains that cause genital warts.

#22 DEVOCEAN

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

If the situation were the other way around and girls could be vaccinated for something that could potentially stop my DS getting a disease, I would want them to do it.
So yes I would get my DS vaccinated.

#23 Maple Leaf

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

It would be lovely to eradicate as many strains of HPV as possible from the population.

I only have girls (who will be vaccinated), but I would vaccinate my boys if I had any!

#24 Feral_Pooks

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

Side effects are absolutely minimal. It's free. It will help eradicate some types of cancer. I chose to get mine done a few years ago. Will my son get it? It's a no-brainer.

#25 Sunny003

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

By those two arguments, castrating him would protect women as well. Who knows, he might be gay or end up entering a celebate religious order and not be a risk to women anyway.

What about rubella? All children, boys & girls are inured in rubella immunization. No different wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.