Keep thinking about upset boy at cc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WaitForIt

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

DD started childcare a couple of months ago and she's had her problems settling in but from what I see and what I'm told she is happy there.

However there is this little boy who is upset whenever I drop DD off. He is crying or has tear stained cheeks, comes running up to me and holds out his arms for me to pick him up, or just aimlessly wanders around crying. The childcare workers aren't holding him or comforting him. It's been like this for weeks and my heart breaks every time I see him. Then the other day I noticed no crying. I look around for him and he is sitting in a corner, back to the room, sucking on a comforter and staring and the floor. For some reason I found this worse than the crying...

I haven't said anything because I feel like I'd be interfering and for all I know he is like this for a bit after drop off and is fine for the rest of the day. But it just pains me to think this could be my DD, as well as concern for him. How do I know if they are being truthful when they say DD has been fine, and do they comfort her when she gets upset. On times I know she has been upset, for example one time she wouldn't sleep, I phoned them up for an update and they went through in detail of everything they did until she finally slept and there was lots of comforting. However I just can't get this little boy out of my head.

I don't know what I'm asking here, I guess this is a cry for reassurance or a way to say something without sounding interfering.

Edited by WaitForIt, 22 February 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

What's the child like when you collect your DD (if he's still there)?

Most kids are fine at daycare, some find it really tough. Unfortunately this little boy sounds like the latter, maybe he's not been there long etc.

#3 *maddierose*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

I am a day care educator.

I have one particular child who will cry and become hysterical at drop off, i comfort her and she gets much worse, it took me a few days to realise she settles much better if i just leave her for a few minutes.
Some children do not like to be comforted.

#4 feralgreenthumbs

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'd just ask about the boy OP. They can always say 'none of your business'.

It does sound horribly heartbreaking though sad.gif

#5 Chaos in stereo

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

/

Edited by Chaos in stereo, 26 August 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#6 libbylu

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Do you drop your DD off at exactly the same time each day? Perhaps this boy's drop off time is just a few minutes before yours and he is still upset from drop off.
An easy way to see how quickly he or your own DD settles is to go sit in your car for 2, 5 or 10 minutes and then go back in a sneak a peak through the window.  I used to do this all the time to reassure myself that my DS (who invariably howled and sobbed when I left him) was happy playing with other kids after a very short time.  He always was. And never wanted to leave at the end of the day!

#7 WaitForIt

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

DH does the pick up, I've brought up this boy before to him but just now I asked and before I finished he knew who I was talking about. Apparently he is sometimes upset and sometimes likes to come over and have a 'chat' to DH. DH said whenever he has seen DD upset, she was held and comforted. However the windows do face the car park.

#8 Lil Chickens

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (libbylu @ 22/02/2013, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you drop your DD off at exactly the same time each day? Perhaps this boy's drop off time is just a few minutes before yours and he is still upset from drop off.
An easy way to see how quickly he or your own DD settles is to go sit in your car for 2, 5 or 10 minutes and then go back in a sneak a peak through the window.  I used to do this all the time to reassure myself that my DS (who invariably howled and sobbed when I left him) was happy playing with other kids after a very short time.  He always was. And never wanted to leave at the end of the day!

I agree with this.  DD has never been to daycare and started kinder this year.  First day there were tears and they called me and said she was fine.

Second day I left my mobile at home and wasn't going home so they couldn't call.  I couldn't just drive off knowing they couldn't contact me if she didn't calm down.  I waited a few minutes and looked through the window and she was happily playing with playdoh.

I also have a friend who asked another mum she knew at daycare what her DD was like when said friend got inside to drop her DS off.  the friend said she was playing.  This eased my friends mind that the carer's weren't just telling her that her DD was fine.

Maybe you could try that.

#9 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

There's a little boy at DS's daycare who is upset when I drop DS off, and the carers didn't seem too concerned. It turns out it's when his favourite carer takes her break and he cries and won't be consoled by anyone else until she comes back laugh.gif

#10 Guest_Lilybird_*

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

There are two little boys like this at dd's childcare centre.

However the staff have explained it to me over time and it's basically that they cry at drop offs (just like most other kids) but they get very teary around 3pm when lots of kids start to get picked up, they get upset because they think it's their mum coming to pick them up.

One of the little boys is in my mother's group. He is a very loved happy child, except for these times. His mum agrees that the best way to deal with it is a quick cuddle and distraction, but after that, to just leave him be. She said if one of the staff try to sit with him until he stops, he just never does and wants to be held for hours (hes 2.5).

I know I trust my daycare staff, and whenever dd is upset they do comfort her, because they know that's what she needs and she will calm down quickly. I would just trust that the centre knows what works best for each individual child, because in the end it's not really my business to be asking them why they are/aren't comforting a child.

For example, this week a child was hysterical two days in a row when I went to pick dd up, and I was quite shocked and wondered why they let him be. I later found out his parents took away his dummy this week, and if the carers try to hold him he hits and bites them sad.gif so there's always two sides to each situation.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.