Help with dairy free diet

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 M&Jem

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

My 13mo DD has an (unconfirmed) cows milk protein allergy...from the research that I've done and the trial and error feeding I assume that's what it is. She gets hives/itchy red blotchy rash around her mouth after eating any/all dairy products. She also gets this rash from chips/snacks that have cheese flavouring.
I bought nuttelex for her but she gets the rash from it too!!?! Also she can't have any kiwi fruit or tomato as these give her the same reaction.
All of this and the fact that she's a very fussy eater has me quite frustrated at meal times since I am running out of ideas on what to give her...
She currently is bf twice a day (small feeds) and has calcium enriched rice milk. I have tried the aptamil allerpro formula but it is disgusting and she refuses to drink it.
Any help/ideas on what to feed her would be great!

#2 Riotproof

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

What a horrible situation. It certainly sounds like an cows milk allergy, but the nuttlelex has me stumped.
Is it possible you've contaminated your packet with dairy or something else?

I'll send a message to get this moved to the allergy section, where hopefully you'll get more replies.

#3 Therese

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks Riotproof for letting us know original.gif

I have moved this to the allergy forum for you as you should get more replies there original.gif

#4 happygurl06

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Try the home brand canola spread from woolworths, it has no dairy.

My 14 month old is also dairy free and this is a sample day if food for him:

BF: slice raisin toast and soy yogurt

L: peanut butter sandwich and half a banana

D: he lives meat and hates any kind of mash so I make up bolognaise sauce with heaps if veg, similar with chicken mince or he has some if my dinner.

Snacks are generally: watermelon, teddy bear biscuits, soy yogurt, those fruit pouch things, stone fruit, cold penne, cubes tofu, sliced cold meat, banana

ETA:  we are also egg free but thinks like scrambled egg or omlette a or frittata would be a great meal option

Edited by happygurl06, 23 February 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#5 FarmBaby

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

We've been dairy free for 2 years now and have discovered the joys of lard & dripping!!!! Baking with lard is brilliant.

Dairy free (we are also egg free) pancakes always go down well. Luckily he is not a fussy eater. Last night we had chops and pasta salad for tea. He eats avocado and smoked salmon on toast a fair bit. Those puffed rice biscuits are great as well as popcorn but maybe not at 13 months.

We have elected to stay away from too much unfermented soy. I make almond milk yoghurt which he loves with fruit. I add nuts and seeds to anything baked and use a lot of almond spread for extra calcium.

It gets easier as you go along.

#6 happygurl06

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Sorry to hijack OP but FarmBaby, care to share your yougurt making recipe?  I would also like to cut down the amount of soy DS has

#7 AnnoyingAnt

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

My DD has a reaction to cows milk protein. She's almost 6 so we have been dgoing this for quite a while now. She doesn't miss out on anything. The only things that cause problems are birthday parties.  The is a large range of food out there that is dairy free and when DD was young she lived on bread, rice, potatoes, vegies, meat , fruit and eggs.  At this age I just gave her a portion of what ever I easy cooking for the family. It's actually really easy to cook without dairy and things like stir fry, roast meals, pasta, omelettes do not have to have dairy in them.  At 18 months alot f kids are fussy.  Make a dish which has alto of something she likes but include different things for her to try.  Kids need to sometimes try things lots and lots before they like something.  Praise her for trying (even if it is spat out). Be patient.

As far as deli meat goes... be really careful.  Chicken and turkey meat usually includes whey protein. Ham/beef is much safer and you can ask for it to be sliced on a cleaned slicer so it isn't contaminated by cheese or milk protein containing products.

At home, if you are going to use dairy products for yourself be careful notto cross contaminate.  Keep cheese boards separate and use clean utensils for dairy free products.  Wash your hands too (keep soap on the kitchen sink).

Also I was told that most kids have grown out of this by the age of 4.  For DD this is not the case as milk protein triggers migraine.

Edited by LeSm, 23 February 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#8 Cooperdoo

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

What did you try the nuttlex on? A lot of biscuits such as cruskits, arrowroots etc have milk in them.

Also products such as ham from the deli have milk in them.

When I had my ds with milk protein allergy I was very surprised to see the products that contained milk. I was lucky and he outgrew it at around 3.

#9 AnnoyingAnt

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

Cooper- you're exactly right. Most packaged foods contain dairy or "traces of milk or milk products".  Thus the birthday party problem. We don't use many packaged stuff but cook from scratch alot of the time. This list of things to avoid I could give you is very long indeed as far as packaged stuff goes. Fresh food is so much less stressful. As far as treats go we stick to things such as Smith original chips ( the line is cleaned before these) and one brand of rice cracker etc.

#10 emm79

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

And even some breads, particularly bread rolls, have milk in them!  Also, somewhere around 40% of babies who are allergic to dairy protein are also allergic to soy, and nearly all commercial breads have soy flour in them.  With diary allergy, you need to read everything.  When I decided to try going dairy free to see if it made a difference my breast fed then 5 month old (eczema, throwing up, not gaining weight), and I saw a massive difference immediately, his skin cleared up, and he went from having gained 385g in 2 months (from 3 to 5 months) to gaining 220g in 5 days, I started reading everything, and found that even salami contains milk!

LeSm, I know what you mean!  DS also has a peanut allergy, and I *think* a salicylate intolerance too, so it's not a list of what he can't eat, but a list of what he can eat!

Edited by emm79, 23 February 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#11 M&Jem

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies! Nice to know we are not alone!

DD is quite a fussy eater and has so far refused any meat, scrambled eggs, plain pasta or even gnocchi with pureed pumpkin for sauce...I've also tried pikelets with rice milk and vegetable fritters but they end up on the floor! Getting so sick of making things for her to eat and then she refuses them sad.gif

I will try soy yogurt, at the moment I haven't yet tried her on any soy.

The only things she really wants to eat at the moment are jatz biscuits (which don't give her the hives?!) mi goreng noodles (minus the seasoning/oils) nectarines or roast potato pieces....

I'm pretty sure the Nuttelex isn't contaminated, as I'm really careful with using separate clean knives for her food. She has eaten it on multigrain bread with vegemite...She has the bread regularly and loves vegemite with avocado and none of that has ever produced a rash...

She is also allergic to tomato and kiwifruit so I can't feed her bolognaise. She pretty much needs separate meals to DH & I at meals.

DD does have eczema which we've seen the dr about several times. It is under control at the moment and her skin is totally clear (Yay!) They say that dairy allergy and eczema is related...dr also said she's quite likely to have asthma later on too!

Very frustrating! Thanks again for the replies original.gif

#12 AnnoyingAnt

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm pretty sure the Nuttelex isn't contaminated, as I'm really careful with using separate clean knives for her food. She has eaten it on multigrain bread with vegemite...She has the bread regularly and loves vegemite with avocado and none of that has ever produced a rash...

Could be a flavour/colour issue there.  I'm not sure of the source of Nuttelex's flavours and colours but if they have a fruit basis that could explain what you are seeing.  Obviously you should avoid.  Sounds like she will have to eat things without margarine.  I did this for a very long time myself as I just hated those sandwiches made in the '80s with an inch of marg inside :-)  Funny how you get used to it quickly.  At least she can eat peanut butter (but won't be able to take it to school!)

She is also allergic to tomato and kiwifruit so I can't feed her bolognaise. She pretty much needs separate meals to DH & I at meals.

Maybe could try cooking the mince/vegies etc. on their own, take out her portion and then add the tomato for you and your DH? (that way you are only making one meal- you can tell I'm lazy). If you are looking for a dairy-free sauce consider using mayonnaise.  Most of these are dairy free- just read the label as there is one brand who adds milk products (why???).  Also try her on hommus (again, checking labels) and plain rice crackers or rice cakes too.  

Anyway, I would like to tell you that it sounds like you are doing a terrific job.  Unfortunately not many people will tell you this and there are always some who will not help or make unhelpful comments (my favourite "I cannot make things that are dairy free").  It takes quite a while to get a list of things that you have tested as "safe" and your daughter will like.  When my DD was a similar age to yours I think we spent alot of time where all I could get my DD to eat would be bread, pasta, rice and chips :-) It does get better.  

(Just as a note---- you will find one of your best failsafe option when eat out will be hot chips.  That said, beware of chicken salt as some shops put it on anything and it has milk protein in it (also in some chicken stock powders) and make sure you ask if they use it.  I could write a book based upon our "accidents" and I feel so bad about it!)

#13 M&Jem

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Le Sm! Definitely true that not many people are quick to tell mums they are doing a good job (which is sad in my opinion) so thank you very much original.gif There is so much to get your head around with babies/kids and I know this will be the first of many challenges!

Plus on the eating out side of things - more than happy to buy a big bowl of hot chips for her...then I can eat them too and they are my fave original.gif

#14 unicycle

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

I needed to stop consuming all dairy whilst breast feeding until the youngest was three, then he was fine with dairy.. Have you tried this? Also, strawberries and oranges were an issue due to high acidity ( i am thinking of your kiwi comment). I hope this helps. Is there canola in the nutelex? The two main things i needed to avoid were dairy and canola.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.