Tea Party defends right to ride manatees

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 katpaws

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

As we have a member who is currently in manatee form, I found this story worrying.

... a Tea Party group in Citrus County, Florida is speaking out against new U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service restrictions that would prevent humans from riding manatees:

"We cannot elevate nature above people," explained Edna Mattos, 63, leader of the Citrus County Tea Party Patriots, in an interview. "That's against the Bible and the Bill of Rights."

Mattos and her fellow Tea Party members oppose efforts of groups like the freedom-hating Save the Manatee Club, whose mission is to protect the endangered manatee and their aquatic habitat for future generations.

Mattos said she enjoys showing off the manatees to her grandchildren, but she had little use for the Save the Manatee Club, explaining, "If some of these environmental movements had been around in the days of the dinosaurs, we'd be living in Jurassic Park now."
reference

Please check out the Jon Stewart / Daily Show story.

Manatees across the world are trying to speak out against pro-manatee riders:

“These tea party b**ches tryna keep a brotha down. “Oh hell naw! Manatee brothas unite!”  (Gangsta Manatee - Twitter).

All i can say is - "when will this inhumanatee stop?"

Edited by katpaws, 23 February 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

mad.gif to the stupid Tea Party but...

biggrin.gif to your last line.....

#3 katpaws

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

I've been waiting months since BadCat changed her name to use it. Thank you Jon Stewart!

Edited by katpaws, 23 February 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#4 JustBeige

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

All jokes aside (and they agood ones biggrin.gif ) the fact that these people think they have a 'right' to ride these creatures is unbelievable.  They arent pets, they are wild creatures and we should be bloody grateful that we still have some around

#5 MarigoldMadge

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

http://www.zazzle.com.au/tea_parties_t_shi...979785222627096

#6 *LucyE*

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I like to believe the best of people but sometimes I just shake my head.

#7 JuliaGulia

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

"If some of these environmental movements had been around in the days of the dinosaurs, we'd be living in Jurassic Park now."

Really, this says it all.  This is the level of intelligence and understanding we're talking about.

#8 RedBob

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Well I defend my right to kick them all in the goolies/box for being chunts. And I'm sure I could find a passage in the Bible to back up that assertion.....

#9 BadCat

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (katpaws @ 23/02/2013, 08:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been waiting months since BadCat changed her name to use it. Thank you Jon Stewart!

Oh it hasn't been months.  Just about 3 weeks.  laughing2.gif

I rather suspect that the Bible would be in favour of stoning members of the Tea Party to death for a variety of infractions.  I can get a pretty good turn of speed on a rock with my flipper if you guys can bring them close enough to the water...

#10 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (*LucyE* @ 23/02/2013, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like to believe the best of people but sometimes I just shake my head.

The scary thing is that it just doesn't shock me any more when these people come out with this sort of drivel. Getting a headache from forehead slapping, eye-rolling and head shking all at the same time.

#11 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

As if you can really ride manatees, so wrong.

#12 Epitome

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Then you get idiots like this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/19/r...r#slide=2123867

#13 seayork2002

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

They live in a country where their favourite line is from a document hundreds of years old that gives "the right to bear arms" sounds reasonable to me.

And before anyone else jumps in YES I am being sarcastic!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.