Would you take a drop in salary to be closer to home?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Would you take a drop in salary (around $3000 per year) to be 15 minutes closer to home?

#2 Jenferal

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

yes.

#3 Jenferal

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

I'm trying to get my husband to get a job closer to home now we have a child so he's around more to see her.
To me 3k isn't much less that you'd miss it.
But that does depend on your wages now and travel costs I guess. Would shorter travel time save you money as well?

#4 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

We just had this conversation at our house this week!

It comes down to this - for me, commuting time is the work of the devil and I would take quite a large percentage cut in pay to be close to home (or do a job I don't really like very much) so I can either spend more time with the kids OR more time at work.

My DH is far less concerned about it and will look at jobs much further away than I do.

If $3k would cause a significant issue for us financially, then probably not. However, I would make the swap if $3k reduction was doable without putting Us under too much financial stress.

Because I am a relatively high income earner, I would do it in a heart beat.

#5 roses99

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

Absolutely. That $3000 is more like 2K after tax, which equates to less than $40 a week. Or $8 per work day. Definitely worth it for that extra half hour (there and back) a day.

#6 CafeCat

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

I took a paycut and lost any chance of promotion. In return I no longer have a 90min commute.

#7 CountryFeral

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Does this make it 5 minutes instead of 20 or does this make it an hour instead of an hour and fifteen minutes?

#8 Goggie

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yes. You would save on petrol (maybe parking too?) and get 30 mins back in your life. I'm assuming it's doing the exact same job? If so, then yes but if the job is significantly different you would need to weigh up everything else as money shouldn't be the main factor for changing jobs.

#9 Mpjp is feral

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 23/02/2013, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does this make it 5 minutes instead of 20 or does this make it an hour instead of an hour and fifteen minutes?

This.

And also it would depend for me on what % the $3K represented of my salary! If it was 20% then I'd think hard about it - especially if that $40 meant my child would need to give up swimming lessons or something. If it were a small % and the money wassn't critical - then absolutely.

I moved from being 45 minutes from work to being 10 minutes....and it's changed my life! Would definitely be worth $3K!!!

#10 haras1972

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

I'm in the process of moving from one job which is an hour door to door, to one that is 10 minutes door to door.

Yes there is a pay cut, probably about $10k for the year, but the payoffs will be worth it...

We often end up with takeaway midweek, because by the time we get home, we're stuffed.

I'll be riding to and from work, so the health benefits are there, and I'll be saving all the public transport costs.

Less stress about trying to make daycare cutoffs etc, our evenings will pan out so much more smoothly. Effectively, I'm gaining back 1.5 hrs in my day - that's massive.

In the future, I'll be a 5 minute walk from DD's primary school, and about a 10 minute walk from her secondary school.

My parents and MIL live locally and are aging, so being able to drop in at lunch, or quick check before work when it's needed etc...

We know there is a monetary loss, but the non-monetary gains are what count for us.

What do you see you and your family gaining, instead of losing, if your commute is shortened?

Edited by haras1972, 23 February 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#11 countrylivingmum

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

My husband did and it worked out better in the long run the cost of wear and tear on our car not to mention fuel! We actually ended up better off. He used to drive an hour each way.

#12 LittleListen

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

I would absolutely. We have lived in the same area (15-20min max) of every job we have both had, except for 2 years when DH worked 1.5hour each way train commute (or 1:15 hours in car due to traffic). Worst time ever. We struggled to match shift times and meal times and once we both got local jobs we swore we would always work within 20min (either car or PT) of our home.

It makes an enormous difference to lifestyle.

As PP pointed out, the weekly difference in pay is minimal, and you could realistically charge your neighbour to do one basket of ironing a week and make the difference back.

I'd do it for sure.

#13 BetteBoop

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Yes, I did.

It was a difference between a 10 minute trip to work (which is 5 minutes from DDs school) to 30 minutes to work (and 20 minutes from DDs school).

I like being close to DDs school and this has already come in handy several times since I started this job 7 weeks ago.

I have no chance of promotion now so my income is possibly far less than it would have been if I'd stayed in my old job. Because I no longer pay public transport costs which were $30 a week it's balanced out though. Is this something that will be a factor for you?

I doubt fuel would cost much more for an extra 15 minutes, but the difference between starting and not starting your car is signifcant.

There can be hidden costs with commuting so take these into consideration too.

#14 KLF84

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

I was previously travelling 1 hour 40 min by train to work everyday. Leaving at 6am and getting home at 7pm. It was costing $60 a week in train fares.

I finally got a job 10 min drive from home, I took a pay cut of $70 per week after tax, but the time at home I regained and the money we saved in travel was totally worth it.

#15 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

thanks everyone, it seems an overwhelming 'yes' to making the change.

I will be $3000 down (net) but will go from a 50 minute trip each way to 25 mins each way. Whilst I'm studying, that cut down of time is very attractive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.