Birthday venue in Melbourne

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blackcat20

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

I have a big birthday coming up later this year (ends with a 0), and I'd love to have a proper party for a change, but I have no idea about venues! I want somewhere a bit nice, preferably a private room, but it doesn't need to be too big as I'm looking at about 30 people. I would have a party at home but the weather in September is too unpredictable. Any suggestions?

#2 threelittlegems

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

We are having DH's 50th at "the shed" south wharf. 25 ppl. I chose it because it has a seven course tasting menu and it would be a nice way to while away a few hours doing something special.

We also checked out the Wayside Inn in South Melbourne. Their function room upstairs is a perfect size for 30. Five minute walk to Southbank if anyone goes out afterwards and great food. They were already booked for our dates.

#3 blackcat20

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (threelittlegems @ 23/02/2013, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are having DH's 50th at "the shed" south wharf. 25 ppl. I chose it because it has a seven course tasting menu and it would be a nice way to while away a few hours doing something special.

We also checked out the Wayside Inn in South Melbourne. Their function room upstairs is a perfect size for 30. Five minute walk to Southbank if anyone goes out afterwards and great food. They were already booked for our dates.

Thanks, ill look at both of those. I don't go out enough to know what's around the city these days!

#4 blackcat20

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Just bumping this up to see if there are any more suggestions biggrin.gif

#5 haras1972

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

have  been to several smaller gatherings recently...

http://www.malthousetheatre.com.au/venue-hire/ - we were in small wedding of about 40 people, sit down, in the Hoopla Room - great venue with lots of rooms.

And a 50th here, http://www.thepointalbertpark.com.au/functions/index.php, cocktail party of about 30 people.

Also, recommend some of the yacht clubs alongside Albert Park, also check out some restaurants - often they have a function room that would cater your number. Try the Deanery in the city, as an example...

#6 Feral Dinosaurus

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

Riva does birthday parties but I'm pretty sure most of the big restaurants would cater to you if you asked (at a price of course!)

Luna Park at night  ph34r.gif

Werribbe Mansion and night-zoo experience.

You can see I still have a little girl living in me who refused to age past 10 biggrin.gif

#7 noi'mnot

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Some good suggestions here. How about a restaurant that you've always wanted to try, or that you already love?

Close to the city - I've been to small dos at The Pumphouse Hotel in Carlton, in the Conservatory out the back, which was lovely.

Is there a particular geographical area you're interested in? Or style of function (casual, formal, etc?)?

#8 blackcat20

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (noi'mnot @ 25/02/2013, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a particular geographical area you're interested in? Or style of function (casual, formal, etc?)?

I want a stand-up cocktail style function. A little bit dressy and special. I cant afford to do a sit-down dinner unfortunately.

I'm looking at the city and the Richmond area. Everyone lives in the east so nothing over the other side of the city.

Edited by blackcat20, 26 February 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#9 Charlie & Lola

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

We had our Christmas Break up last year at the Kent Hotel in Carlton in the Private function area which is upstairs, has it's own bar and some outside space as well as indoors. The room was lovely, food and service were excellent. They have Cocktail packages starting at around $30.00. Kent Hotel Functions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.