Day trip ideas from Melbourne?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ~strawberry~

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Money has been a bit tight lately, so instead of going away we want to do some day trips to show our kids more of our wonderful state. Today we had fish & chips on the beach at Cowes and went for a swim.

I'm after ideas of where to go and what to do within 2hrs of  (outer eastern) Melbourne. Kids are 6 & 4.

Also, I have limited mobility so anything that involves walking is somewhat limited.

TIA

#2 Feral WibbleWobble

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Macedon Ranges area is lovely. You could have a picnic at Hanging Rock. The picnic area has some flat spaces, a toilet block and a cafe. They have a monthly market as well.

#3 sasar

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

I've got a list going... being new to Melbourne and all

Geelong - carousel, big wheel, lots of sculptures
Where Seachange was filmed
Ballarat
Twelve apostles
Brighton beach boxes
St Kilda and Luna Park
See a game of AFL
See the snow
Coastal drive
Melbourne Zoo
Aquarium
Collingwood children's farm
See a comedy show (w/o kids)
About five different markets
The street where neighbours is filmed

I also just search 'what's on melbourne' every Saturday morning and will just choose something from there if there is a festival or a parade to go to.

Hopefully I'll get some more ideas from this thread too.

#4 chicken_bits

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

I've heard good things about this place. Your kids would love it:
http://www.raynerstonefruit.com.au/

#5 Mummaduke

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Another vote for Macedon Ranges, you can drive to the top of Mt Macedon and there is a very brief (500m) paved path to the cross on the top which has a great view back to Melbourne.  

You could easily do Mt Macedon and Hanging Rock in one day, perhaps Mt Macedon in the morning, have a coffee at the cafe and then drive the 20mins to Hanging Rock and have a bbq/picnic.  We have been to Hanging Rock twice and haven't done the walk to the top so it's still an enjoyable non walking place to visit and they have a lovely cafe and playground as well.  Be warned that there is a $10 fee to exit the park.

I also highly recommend Kinglake, it has a beautiful playground for the kids with dry stone creek beds and fallen trees as seats, it's really natural and non-plastic.

Also in the Kinglake area is a national park with a fabulous outdoor bbq and a short but quite steep walk to the falls.

As you can see I love this area and as we live nearby we visit it regularly, my boys are 4.5 and 2 and I would really recommend all these places.

#6 WithSprinkles

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

- Werribee Zoo (Melbourne Zoo too for that matter)
- The Dandenong Ranges
- Daylesford/Hepburn Springs (Chocolate factory/cafe: http://www.chocmill....u/location.html)
- Could catch the ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff

#7 Goggie

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Puffing billy is a good one to do, picnic at Emerald Lake.

Collingwood childrens farm is inner city but you could definitely make a day of it by having breakfast or lunch at the cafe and wandering around.

St Andrews Market (on way to Kinglake)

Warrandyte market plus a small walk along the Yarra.

#8 elmo_mum

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

phillip island - go karting on the race track, koala park and the penguins!
healsville
ballarat
bendigo
country races

#9 Anne of The Island

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Great thread, OP.  We moved to Melbourne a couple of years ago & there are plenty of ideas on here for us too.  Thanks.

We went to Sunnyridge strawberry farm recently and the kids loved it!  There is also a goat farm nearby - if you time it right you can see the goats being milked & they also have cheeses etc to taste.  It's called Main Ridge Goat Farm, I think.

Ours also love Scienceworks, The Museum, The Zoo, The Aquarium.

We went to Sovereign Hill recently and were very impressed with the set-up and the kids had a ball!

#10 melaine

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

Another fun activity for kids is the Diamond valley railway at Eltham Lower Park. You can have a train ride on the little trains for $3 and there is a new all abilities type playground, pony rides, food stall and oval to run around on.

You could easily combine that with a trip to warrandyte or kinglake.

The children's farm at bundoora is nice as well and it also has a great playground next door.

Edited by melaine, 28 October 2013 - 10:29 PM.

#11 katpaws

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Blackspur and Marysville, so you can do Healesville on the way

#12 Rukktbugs

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:28 AM

Maldon, Castemaine and definatly Ballarat - sovereign hill is awesome but they also have a wildlife and reptile park that the kids love original.gif

#13 bubbalee

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

There are quite a few places where you can do berry picking out in the valley, Launching Place, Silvan ect.

Emerald Lake, have a picnic, feed the ducks ect

Seville Water Park

#14 amabanana

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Most of my ideas have already been mentioned but here's a few more:
Chesterfield farm
Lilydale lake
Seville waterplay park
Heide museum of modern art
William Rickets sanctuary, Tulip festival etc Mount Dandenong
Yarra Glen has a nice pub and fun playground
Fruit picking in the Yarra Valley is fun
Abbortsford convent
St Kilda adventure playground
The enchanted maze garden at Arthur's seat
Coolart wetlands
Kew traffic school
Fitzroy gardens

Dromana drive in

#15 ~strawberry~

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Awesome ideas here! Thank you!

Some I have done in the past and forgotten about, other's I've thought about doing but never think of at the right time, and some totally new ideas that I am looking forward to.

A couple of weeks ago we did Yarra Glen - lunch at a winery, then a visit to the new chocolatiere ending with a play at the playground there - one of the best playgrounds we've been to.

We're going to Emerald lake soon for a wedding, I'm really looking forward to that.

I also want to do either Arthurs seat maze or Ashcombe maze and combine it with a visit to the Red Hill market.

I've never been to Macedon ranges. I'd love to hear more - where exactly to go and what to see please!

#16 FeralandStompy

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Some great ideas here that I'll keep in mind too.
I also suggest keeping an eye on a Vic Farmer's Mkt type website, like this one but I think there's a few different organisations around now.

But if you're thinking of a day trip on a weekend, no harm in checking out which areas have a market happening and what kind of produce or even activities like pony rides or whatever will be on. We've gone to some great ones the past year, plus got to see some more of Victoria too in our day trip.

Also, I think it's Yarra Glen that's just upgraded their playground to pretty awesome. We've stopped on te way to Healesville before and been impressed at the range of different age levels it accomodated. It looks new.

Actually, if you're looking at daytrips, perhaps checking the Melbourne Playgrounds facebook page would be good too as I think they've reviewed a lot of Victorian ones too. Again, useful to know what's out there.

We like food and gardening so have had some fun day trips to Diggers Club grounds. The St Erth area is smaller but Trentham of all places had some lovely foodie places. And Heronswood is beautiful. DD is younger though so will possibly be bored with such when she's 4 or 6. Right now she's happy to run around the grounds and look at ducks  happy.gif

#17 marnie27

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

Great thread! I'm posting so I can find this later - we are driving to Tassie soon and spending some time in and around Melbourne as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.