Sole Parenting and irregular work hours
Can it be done whilst remaining sane

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bunnysquared

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hello

Contemplating a part time return to work with 2 children under 2 and a job opportunity with irregular hours.

By irregular, I mean evenings and varied hours week to week.

It would be a mix of at home/office based work.

I have daycare places one day a week but no real flexibility there to swap and change days week to week.

Has anyone attempted this, without a partner or family support ??

I would also like to come out in front financially once all daycare/nanny/babysitting is paid !

I am in the Wild West (Perth)

#2 AliC05

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

Have you thought about applying for the in-home care rebate thingy???
You would be eligible if you work hours that don't fit with daycare hours. I think you can vary your hours week to week

In my state (NSW) its managed through Family Day Care - not sure about WA.

This is super long winded but may be helpful
http://coffsfdc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/...DUCTION2011.pdf

#3 bunnysquared

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (AliC05 @ 23/02/2013, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you thought about applying for the in-home care rebate thingy???
You would be eligible if you work hours that don't fit with daycare hours. I think you can vary your hours week to week

In my state (NSW) its managed through Family Day Care - not sure about WA.

This is super long winded but may be helpful
http://coffsfdc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/...DUCTION2011.pdf

Thanks Ali, for some reason I thought in-home was for those with special needs not just work ! Thanks for the tip wink.gif

#4 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yes I did it as a single Mum. Kids went to a full time daycare centre, then at nights or weekends they went to family daycare. I had no problems getting centrelink to say yes to 75 hours per week for CCB. (They weren't in care that many hours but long daycare centre claimed 60hrs regardless). I'd recommend family daycare rather than a babysitter as you get the CCB and CCR plus its so much cheaper per hour

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'm in WA and we used in-home care when the children were little.  PM me if you want to ask anything specific. We are SOR.

#6 bunnysquared

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Straight*No*Chaser @ 24/02/2013, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes I did it as a single Mum. Kids went to a full time daycare centre, then at nights or weekends they went to family daycare. I had no problems getting centrelink to say yes to 75 hours per week for CCB. (They weren't in care that many hours but long daycare centre claimed 60hrs regardless). I'd recommend family daycare rather than a babysitter as you get the CCB and CCR plus its so much cheaper per hour

#7 bunnysquared

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Straight*No*Chaser @ 24/02/2013, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#8 bunnysquared

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hello again !

Just a couple more questions, kindly and knowledgeable folk !!

With family daycare, how do you find ones that offer weekends/nights ?

With in home care do they send a different carer each time or same ones ?

Cheers biggrin.gif

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (bunnysquared @ 27/02/2013, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With family daycare, how do you find ones that offer weekends/nights ?

With in home care do they send a different carer each time or same ones

For FDC, you could try calling the Child Care Access Hotline.  They might be able to put you in touch with someone locally.

For in-home care, I interviewed 3 carers who were available for the times I needed, then I had the same one all the time. It's fine as long as they're reliable, but there's no backup if the carer is sick.  Ours used to bring her daughter with her during school hols (which I didn't mind).

Edited by SeaPrincess, 28 February 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#10 GenWhy

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (SeaPrincess @ 28/02/2013, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For FDC, you could try calling the Child Care Access Hotline.  They might be able to put you in touch with someone locally.

For in-home care, I interviewed 3 carers who were available for the times I needed, then I had the same one all the time. It's fine as long as they're reliable, but there's no backup if the carer is sick.  Ours used to bring her daughter with her during school hols (which I didn't mind).

I'm looking into in home care at the moment. I'm in WA and will be working night shifts 4pm til 4am for a few days a week so I need someone to pick up kids from school and stay with them until I get home. I also need someone to get the kids up and dressed and taken to school a few mornings a week (I will be leaving house at 5.30am and no daycare etc open at that time) then collect kids from school and have them until I get home in the afternoons.

Can you tell me who I need to speak to about organizing this? I tried calling centrelink and they were no help at all. Thanks for any advice!

#11 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

I phoned the Childcare Access Hotline on 1800 670 305 and they confirmed my eligibility and gave me some numbers.  I went through City of Cockburn Family Day Care.  I interviewed 2 or 3 of their carers before choosing the one who seemed the best fit.

Good luck! We are thinking about in-home care again for next year.

#12 GenWhy

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

Thank you! I'll call and see how I go original.gif

#13 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yep, for family daycare I just rang head office in my area and they gave me a list of carers who do nights and weekends. The whole process was way less stressful than I'd anticipated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.