Hamentaschen & no one died
they were actually nice

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 la di dah

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

First thing, I do not bake.

Like, at all, really.

But I do get homesick and it is a Jewish holiday where these are traditional. My family usually bought them but out here if I don't bake 'em I ain't gonna have 'em. Last year and the year before I was sulking/procrastinating but last night I cowboyed up and made them and they're actually really easy.

Hamentashen

Ingredients:
⅓ cup sugar
4 tbsp. oil
4 tbsp. apple juice
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder
1½ cup flour
Pinch of salt

And jam for filling! You need jam. Apricot would have been far more traditional but my DH does not eat apricot so I made them with raspberry jam.

Cream sugar, oil, juice, egg and vanilla.
Add baking powder, salt and flour.
Mix until the dough forms a ball which is not sticky.
Roll the dough out, about ⅛″ thick. Using a circle cookie cutter, or the mouth of a glass, cut as many circles as possible. (Note: if you are la di dah, realize at THIS moment and no earlier in the process you own no rolling pin, end up rolling out with a wine bottle).
Remove remaining dough, roll and repeat.
Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each circle, and fold intro triangles.
Bake at 350° F (175 C) for 15–20 minutes.

Allow to cool before eating.

They have to be folded into triangles to be hamentaschen!

Mine had a little more jam centre showing than this and weren't as neat

This is a stripped down recipe, some people go batsh*t for various additions like lemon peel or orange juice instead of apple juice or they do all this and then dip them in chocolate and jimmies or whatever, but I just wanted basic hamentaschen that had no dairy in them. They came out well, so anyone who can actually bake should have no trouble.

I didn't have a cookie cutter so I just used a glass. It's only a circle you want so no big deal.

EDIT: I am 99% sure that my dough actually wasn't rolled out to 1/8th" inch thickness with the help of a bottle of red wine, and that is why I only got 12 instead of 20 - but they still tasted fine.

Edited by la di dah, 24 February 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#2 cardamom

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

I tried these at work a few days ago when they were handing them out (I work for a Jewish organisation) and they were delicious! Thanks for the recipe, I might have a go at making them sometime.

Happy Purim LDD  original.gif

#3 credence

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

I made these once, I got the recipe from the Monday Morning Cooking Club. Love that book so much. Do you have it lah di ah?

#4 anotherlogin

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I made them last week with DD & DS and they are always a hit, they look much harder then they are ... it's basically a dough recipe and then you need to "fold them".

now we have to start with Pesach ...

#5 la di dah

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (anotherlogin @ 26/02/2013, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
now we have to start with Pesach ...

NOOOO. Shush about Pesach and maybe it won't hear us.

QUOTE (credence @ 26/02/2013, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I made these once, I got the recipe from the Monday Morning Cooking Club. Love that book so much. Do you have it lah di ah?

No, I don't really own any cookbooks. I should at least get the ones my mom and sister has so I'm on the same page so to speak. Is that one good?

And sorry cardamom, I didn't see a reply before! Thanks! It was a pretty good one.

I'm making more today though because my DH's grandmother liked them so much. She asked for them. I doubt very much she'll be asking for Pesach stuff. lol.

#6 Mpjp is feral

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thanks la di dah my DS and his little mate from kinder are going to cook these from your recipe when they get home today. I'll post a pic for you so you can see the 4yo effort!!

#7 la di dah

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (meplainjanebrain @ 26/02/2013, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks la di dah my DS and his little mate from kinder are going to cook these from your recipe when they get home today. I'll post a pic for you so you can see the 4yo effort!!

Awww! Adorbz. Pix will be loved.

EDIT: And triangles are the tastiest shape. Science. Fact.

Edited by la di dah, 26 February 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#8 Peanut

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

I tried one (err, some would be a more accurate description, lol!) made by a friend and they are delicious!

Happy Purim!

#9 anotherlogin

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

meplainjanebrain - make sure you really "pinch" the edges together, otherwis ethey open up while baking

#10 elmo_mum

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

this year, friends made nutella hamentashen

sacraligous, i know... but zomg!!!!

i prefer traditional, mit poppy seeds!!!

LALALALALALALALA

bring on pesach i say
mums coconut macaroons!!
gefitle fish....
chopped liver.. i can feel my arteries hardening already.....

#11 kpingitquiet

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Yummmmmm...

#12 Jenferal

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

I've never heard of them but I may try making them as they sound yummy.
I do have apricot jam as I grew up on it as the child of a Hungarian mother. Seems to be  Hungarian staple in cooking. Plus no tiny seeds to get stuck in teeth!

#13 la di dah

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Minor outcry in my family every year of which is more oldschool, the poppy seeds or lekvar (prune butter, in English, I think? Prunes...) and of the two I'd take the prunes. Poppy should stick to bagels. roll2.gif

Apricots rain all over both though.

I like gefilte fish but I have a hard time with coconut anything and macaroons are not an exception. I'm the one Jew I know who manages to lose weight every Pesach - all I eat is meat and salad.

EDIT: Hungarian and Ashkenazi can be pretty close in a lot of ways I think. I remember once I was describing prakas which is like cabbage leaves rolled around meat (it's nicer than it sounds) with sauce and a number of Polish and Hungarian people seem to know of something similar, though called something else and with a higher likelihood of pork. original.gif

I don't have a good prakas recipe at the moment so I'm no help with that.

Edited by la di dah, 26 February 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#14 credence

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

la di dah - we (as in Croatians) have this plum butter stuff called providl. I love it! We use it in these little crescent rolls called kiflice which are a similar pastry to hamentaschen except obviously the shape is different.

We also do the cabbage roll thing, we call it sarma - and yes it's full of pork products. But gosh it's good.

#15 la di dah

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Not really the most romantic or beloved fruit, but I'm bizarrely fond of prunes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.