Hamilton Island / Daydream Island resort
recommendations please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PaulineN

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

We usually go away for 1 week from 28 Dec each year as this is when DH has time off work.  We always go up the sunshine coast so want something different this year. We liked the idea of a cruise, but unfortunately there are no 7 days cruises for that week sad.gif

So we got to thinking we've never been the the great barrier reef. I started looking on the net but it seems a few places I've looked at need major renovations and seem like they were decorated in the 80's.

Can anyone suggest best places to stay? Daydream Island resort didn't look that good. I looked at Hamilton island resort the palm bungalows looked fairly good. Plus hamilton island seemed to have more pools than Daydream? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I then looked at the Sheraton Port Douglas as they have a kids club too. Loved the look of the resort - has 5 acres of pool area! But what can we do from there? Is it near to go snorkeling on the reef etc?

Anyone who has holidayed up this way, please give me some rcommendations.

Thanks

#2 BubbleBird

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

If you are worried about 80s decor then DON'T go to the Sheraton port Douglas!!! It was 80s central when I was there (just looking around) two tears ago.

#3 mards

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

just keep in mind the weather in DEC in the whitsundays HOT/HUMID.. just a thought for you.

I would go HAMO over DAYDREAM - so much more to do!!

Yes Sheraton Hasn't changed - i just re read all the latest TRIP ADVISOR reports on it - and everyone says the rooms are not great...

Edited by mards, 24 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#4 Delillah1

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I would choose Hamilton Island over Daydream. We've been to both  and Hamilton has much more to do and much better food. We stayed at the hotel. Very nice!

#5 PaulineN

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. We really are unsure where to go. We just don't want to go Byron Bay way or Sunshine Coast way. Plus we live on the Gold Coast. Its so hard as we are limited to that one week each year.

any other destination suggestions without breaking the budget?

#6 B.feral3

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

We did Daydream a few years ago. I wouldn't go back. It's not target at families at all. Also, it rained pretty much the entire time we were there and they didn't go above and beyond and put on a single activity suitable for the weather. We thought they would have put on bingo, or trivia, indoor movie or something but NOTHING... so we spent much of our time in the room.  mellow.gif

#7 adl

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

I have been to both and wouldnt bother, islands are expensive and Daydream needs an update, Hilton had such expensive  day trips pizzas started at $30!!!  For that money we go to Hayman

Look at Cairns and Palm cove for great accomodation and trips to the reef, my sister took her kids last uear and they had a ball, they did the daintree, saw crocodiles , cable car, cane train up to Kuranda so much to do ....went snorkelling and had a great pool in the complex....

#8 Coffeegirl

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

We've been to Hamilton a couple times.  The first time we stayed at the Reef View (before the last renovation) and the second time we rented a private apartment.

The apartment was by far the cheaper and best option.  We had a cart included in our rate, two bedrooms, fully equipped kitchen and a pool in the complex.   Plus access to all the resort pools.  

Food on Hamo in the restaurants is expensive,, so we ordered Coles online to be delivered on our second day and made breaky, snacks and lunch in the apartment, then only ate out at night.

We stayed in this block on the ground floor, so the kids could walk straight out onto a huge expanse of lawn and kick a footy or run around.   Guy met us at the airport to transport us with luggage and drove us back on the last day.  

http://www.stayz.com.au/51795?&numNigh...=3&rating=0

Most day trips to the reef are full days out, so if you have toddlers it may be too much.  Even our 7yo was restless and a bit bored by the end as he isn't a great swimmer.

#9 PaulineN

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Think I will look at other destinations than the whittsundays. Suggestions appreciated.

#10 Coffeegirl

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Does it have to be a beach or pool holiday?  What about Sydney?  Some lovely beaches here (though not as nice as some in QLD)

Lots for kids to see. Aquariium, zoo, Powerhouse museum, wildlife parks, Olympic park etc.

#11 babybeli

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Best family holiday I have ever had was sailing around the whitsundays on a charter yacht from whitsunday escape.  Just awesome.  We spent a few nights in the marina at hamilton.  Very humid that time of year.  Food is very expensive.   Make sure you get s golf cart in your deal.  I have also been to daydream and yge pools there are large.  I really liked it but we did have good weather and went sailing and on a few dsy trips to the reef.  I think a week on daydream without day trips would be a bit to much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.