Does a couch have to have enough seats for everyone in the family?
Fluffity, Fluffity fluff

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I'm looking at buying a new couch. We currently have a 2 seater. DH and I never sit and watch tv or movies together as we're not into that.

I use the couch more than DH because I like watching tv.

We currently have one DS and another on the way.

So I was thinking of getting a 3 seater couch, as our room is small and I didn't like having 2x 2 seater couches in it as there was hardly any room. But my friend thinks I should get enough seats for the number of people living there and have spare seats to accommodate guests.

I should add, we also rarely have guests over so don't do any entertaining.

What do you think? Does your couch accommodate your whole family and guests?

Edited by Sunnycat, 24 February 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#2 For Fox Sake

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Mine does, it's modular, L shaped with 4 seats each side and a chaise. It's freakin huge !

#3 Tooties

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Mine does, also an L shaped monster but fitting everyone on it wasn't a consideration when we bought it. All I thought about was 'is it comfy' and 'can I lie down and stretch out on it'!

#4 bjk76

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Ours does. There's only 3 of us, but we bought our two 3 seater couches with the idea that DH and I both like to lie down when watching TV, so we wanted a couch each! As it happens, DH likes lying on the floor and we rarely have the TV on now, as we don't want DS watching it, plus we're too busy doing other things.

#5 lotsa

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yes it could, if we all sat upright, not lounging about comfortably though.

#6 -*meh*-

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

we have a 2.5 seater sofa and 2 recliners... its more than enough for our house usually and in truth we are rarely all sitting in the lounge together.

#7 CupOfCoffee

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

We live in a town house, so we are happy to fit a three seater (for the 4 of us).  If we are all in the lounge area, someone generally sits on the floor.

If we have guests, we drag over computer chairs, it is all very classy  laugh.gif

We just can't fit anything bigger, so we don't.

#8 CountryFeral

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Well we obviously fit on our couch as there are only two of us!

But I did specifically buy a big three seater with wide comfortable arms.  If needs be 5 people can sit on that couch!

*ponders triplets....*

#9 nen-c

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Ours does - 1 x 3 seater and 1 x 2 seater and an ottoman, for 2 adults and 2 kids, but only as we have the room. If we didn't have the room I'd get whatever fitted in the space and a couple of bean bags or ottomans or something for the extra people.

#10 Feral timtam

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

It's nice to have enough seating, but I think having something that looks good in the space is better. You do have to look at it every day and in our experience it is very rare for everyone to be sitting in the living room.

That being said, we have one large room with comfy seating for 11 if we lounge and another room that will is set up to only comfortably seat four. When we are having a party everyone ends up congregating in the smaller room and the large room that was actually designed for entertaining gets ignored.

#11 my serenity

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I think everyone should be able to sit together lounge around and have space for extras. We are a family of 5 I bought a seven seater modular lounge with an ottaman and its more than paid itself off when I have a house full of visitors or teenagers original.gif

#12 unicorn

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

No ours doesn't, there are 8 of us and we couldn't fit enough chairs in. We have a large 3 seater and two single seat recliners, none of us mind sitting on the floor to watch TV.

#13 NunSoFeral

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Family of six
3 seater, 2 seater, armchair and ottoman.
Several bean bags.
The kids like to sit in the armchair - all at the same time. huh.gif

#14 kittennic

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

We don't. We have a 3-seater couch, and there are 4 of us. Our house is tiny, so there isn't room for more, or for recliners/individual comfy chairs. So we either squish or one of us sits on the floor, or on an office-style chair. No biggie.

#15 noonehere

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Ours does, we have a three seater and two recliners.
Iv been tossing up getting some bean bags for football season though as we never have enough seats when the game is on

#16 opethmum

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

haha, I read the first line of your OP, I need to buy a new cousin!!

I would buy a couch to seat everybody in your family, there will be times that you may just want to watch a family movie and having that space is good and your children don't have to bags the couch and have arguments.

Plus you may have occasions to host birthdays etc at your place and to have the room to plod people down is good. I recommend a couch that has a chaise and underneath storage they are great and having somewhere to place additional blankets/toys/cushions is great too.

Good luck and I hope you find your perfect household addition!

#17 FeralHez

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

I think I am going against the grain but to my mind the moan living area MUST have a seat available for all members of the family.

Being the family member there is no room for is damaging. (Yes, that was me.)

It needn't be all on the same lounge but the same set would be good.

#18 cinnabubble

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

We have 2x2.5 seaters for four people. Enough for all of us, but not so many that we are forced to entertain.

#19 kpingitquiet

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Depends on how big your place is, what you like to do with your time, etc. We have two 3-seaters (one is a pull-out sleeper, one is 2-seats+loungey bit). Husband used to have an L-shaped overstuffed thing and I hated it. It heavily limited how it could be placed in our living room. So having two separate couches is great.

Most evenings, He and I both sit on what has been dubbed "Mama couch" by our 2yo. Either both sitting up reading, or he'll stretch out on the loungey bit and I'll stretch out across the other two seats. The other couch is affectionately known as "Doggy couch". And that's pretty much who you'll find there biggrin.gif Two big 30kg dogs who think they're too good for the floor wink.gif

Having two couches has been great for us. We've been known to have weekend movie amrathons and crash out on opposite surfaces. Or when kiddo and I were down sick, she and I shared the bigger couch and Dad had the other to himself (dogs begrudgingly accepted the floor). We also recently had several guests over for dinner and everyone had a comfy spot to sit.

Kiddo also has her own mini-couch which is excellent for wind-down times but mostly she prefers to sit on mine or bounce off the walls biggrin.gif

Oh, and in my wider family, youngers always had to cough up their seats for elders. So that meant a bunch of kids on the floor and adults in the seats. I like it better with everyone together.

#20 R2B2

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

We recently purchased a new couch, and fitting all 5 of us was one of the main factors.

we have 2 armchairs and a 3 seater.

#21 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone original.gif

Our room is quite small and the only living area also DHhas his computer desk in there, so it's used as a lounge room, play room for DS and computer room.

We could probably have a 3 seater and a 2 seater but one of the couches would have to go in front of the window and is would limit DS's play area. Plus I hated having the couch in front of the window. The room is too small to have a couch not backing on to anything as it would block the entrance.

I'm thinking maybe I'll get a corner lounge so that the couch won't cover all of the window.

DH might have to move his computer one day but god knows where.

#22 Therese

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

We have a three seater and then two recliners and there are only 4 of us. so we obviously all fit.

I didn't even really think about visitors when I bought it..oops.

#23 ~Bean~

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

We have a three seater plus chaise lounge, a single seat and just brought up a bean bag for Bean.

There is three of us.

#24 ~Bean~

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

We have a three seater plus chaise lounge, a single seat and just brought up a bean bag for Bean.

There is three of us.

#25 IsolaBella

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

We have a three seater Chaise lounge. We have a family of five.

Edited by lsolaBella, 24 February 2013 - 07:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.