How to carry travel docs/money etc

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Avogadro

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

We're travelling to Europe at the end of the year (2 adults and 2 children age 9,7) - just wondering about what to do with passports.  We will be staying with family for a good portion of the trip so security (where we're staying) won't be an issue.  

Do you take passports with you while out and about?  
What about the children's passports - do you let them carry them?  
What about just giving the children a photocopy of their passport to carry in case they get lost?
I plan on using a backpack (leather/handbag style) - I thought about putting a small amt of cash in a wallet in the backpack and then carry any extra cash/passports/credit card in a concealed carry pouch.  Do you think that would work?

Thanks

#2 IsolaBella

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

We leave passports in hotel safe.

My kids had "if lost tags" which listed their name, nationality, my mobile, DHs mobile and how to dial those internationally (ie ++61 4xx xxx xxx)..

Just took money needed for the day with us. No different to being at home. No extra security precautions.

We did scan copies of passports, travel tickets, bookings, credit cards, travel insurance and emailed ourselves.

#3 Avogadro

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

But what about ID while you're out and about?  Did you need it?

#4 IsolaBella

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Why would you need ID when out? Just had our Drivers Licence in wallet as usual. Would take out one CC and leave at hotel.

Bracelets for kids (they also do dog tags). My kids were 2,4,6 when travelling.

http://www.medicalidstore.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=809

We were in UK, France and Switzerland. I have done the same when in Italy, Spain, Germany too.

ETA only time passports needed when out was purchasing local SIM cards for our mobiles. I had a dual SIM phone so one phone would get both Aussie number calls plus local number calls.

Edited by lsolaBella, 24 February 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#5 dolcengabbana

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

I always carry all of our passports in my Mimco travel wallet and extra money, spare cards etc in a secure place i.e safe.

We each have a photocopy of passports license medicare cards scanned into our emails so we can access from anywhere if we lost or had them stolen they are certified copies JP witnessed for ease of proof should we ever need it.

I always carry my license for ID everywhere as does DH and a photocopy of all documents in a different bag to my purse and travel wallet. SO if by chance I lost both I would have a certified copy of everything.

I also give my Mum a folder with a certified copy of everything and the itinerary before I leave for us all.

#6 Ice Queen

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

I have always been told that to have a photocopy of your passport makes life much easier if it gets lost or stolen.  So I leave a copy at home with my parents and have a copy somewhere in my suitcase.

But, no I would never carry my passport with me during the day if I had a safe place to put it (relatives house or hotel safe) but I keep the copy in a different bag or place.

Spare credit card with the passports in case you lose your wallet.

Handbag and wallet with cards, drivers license as normal like I do at home.  In Europe I try my hardest not to look like a tourist.  Nothing like a bumbag to scream 'I am an idiot tourist carrying thousand of dollars in cash so please please rob me'.   That and wearing sneakers and socks with an I LOVE NY tshirt!

#7 9ferals

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I agree with PPs, don't carry your passport unless you specifically need it for something (ie. buying a SIM card),
Lock all your valuables (cash, cards, passports, jewelry if you aren't wearing it, electronics if you aren't planning to use them while you are out) in the hotel safe.

I usually take a small wallet and just carry a bit of cash and one card (if I think I might need it).
It's goes in my pocket if I have a secure pocket or in my handbag, usually inside a zipped pocket in my zipped shut handbag.  I also carry a copy of my passport.

Of course it really depends where you are travelling to - I have carried cash, passport etc in a "under clothes" waist pack when I was travelling in India, but that was when I was on the move and didn't have access to an in-room safe.  It's so much easier in most parts of the world now because you don't have to carry much cash - you can withdraw from ATMs almost anywhere.

#8 qak

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I seem to remember that there are countries where it is illegal to not have any id on you -not sure if an actual passport was required, but certainly some identification needs to be carried with you.

#9 ~kuddlebug~

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I had to carry my passport with my entry visa at all times when I was in Jordan. I was doing very active work so had it in my backpack, but when doing the 'touristy' things I just carried a normal handbag with my passport and a small amount of cash.

In Europe, I only carried normal ID and enough cash for the day in a normal handbag as I didn't want to look too much like a tourist. If you want to always have your passport on you, I'd go for a discreet underclothes pouch, nothing too visible. I wouldn't let the kids carry their passports unless absolutely necessary.

#10 intrigued

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

what countries will you be travelling to?
Whilst it's important to be careful and sensible everywhere, there is a few places in Europe where you have to be more careful than others. E.g. Prague, Spain (Madrid mainly), Portugal, Italy etc. any big cities or big events. I had my handbag stolen in Lissabon a few years ago and I was mortified that it happened to me because I am so careful and have done loads of travelling..
Ideally get a backpack with a hidden or hard to access pocket or a bag that has professionals will be able to steal things out of bags without you knowing. A classic is the 'stopping you on the road and asking for directions"!

I would leave passparts in the hotel safe as PPs have suggested, too dangerous to carry around with you.
If you have more than one credit card then maybe also leave one of the cards in your hotel safe in case the one that is 'coming out' with you gets stolen and you have to wait for a replacement.
Also write down any emergency phone numbers (Credit card cancellation hotline, health insurance etc) in addition to having them stored in your phone in case that gets stolen.

In addition to a paper copy of my passport, I have also emailed a scanned copy of my passport and drivers license to my hotmail account, so that I can access it from anywhere.

#11 Avogadro

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thanks everyone.  Seems like leaving the passport is the way to go!

#12 Sloane Peterson

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

i have a drop box and put important files in there so they can be accessed anywhere - copies of birth certificates, passports, blue books etc.

#13 traceybrown

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Also email a copy to your gmail or hotmail account that is easy to access

Also email a copy to your gmail or hotmail account that is easy to access

#14 Sal78

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

I use a nice jag travel wallet given as a present from a very thoughtful friend...had it for years.

try not to carry anything! especially backpacks! they just cut a hole and everything drops out..my friend lost her wallet, camera, passport this way around buckingham palace. If in crowded places ie metro/tube hold on to your handbag tightly in front of you. I have been pick pocketed before, actually found the hand in my handbag but didn't know who it belonged to and pinched it!

I just carried small amt of cash and credit card...if it got stolen then it was something that I could do without. left all the important stuff in the hotel.

#15 Brrrroooce!

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

When researching travel insurance, I found that a lot have a clause in their PDS that they won't pay a claim if your valuables, including passports, are stolen in your absence. This includes valuables secured in a hotel safe when you are not there. The clause is something to the effect of "you must remain close enough to the valuables that you could reasonably prevent their theft".

I take my passport everywhere with me.

#16 shutterspeed

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE (Ehill @ 25/02/2013, 02:42 PM)
15354580[/url]']
I have always been told that to have a photocopy of your passport makes life much easier if it gets lost or stolen.  So I leave a copy at home with my parents and have a copy somewhere in my suitcase.

But, no I would never carry my passport with me during the day if I had a safe place to put it (relatives house or hotel safe) but I keep the copy in a different bag or place.

Spare credit card with the passports in case you lose your wallet.

Handbag and wallet with cards, drivers license as normal like I do at home.  In Europe I try my hardest not to look like a tourist.  Nothing like a bumbag to scream 'I am an idiot tourist carrying thousand of dollars in cash so please please rob me'.   That and wearing sneakers and socks with an I LOVE NY tshirt!

We did similar when we were in South Africa last year. I had a travel wallet with all our passports and tickets in. I kept that in a locked pocket of my carry on luggage or in a hotel safe.
Copies with my brother and father back home. And just purses and wallets as normal when out and about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.