Can't get rid of cold, ideas?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 *cough*

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi Ladies

I started feeling unwell last Thursday by the evening had a bad head cold. I've been taking cold & flu tabs but no change. Yesterday I bought different cold & flu tabs and a nasal spray as I was flying home from a conference. The flight was horrible and landing was agonizing.

Today I'm just as sick as I have been and am now coughing as well.

So I need to get rid of this cold ASAP. I'm doing a triathlon on Sunday and I do not want to pull out.

Any old wives tales? Home remedies?

I don't think it's worth going to the doctor... but maybe I should? To me it seems just a cold, not tonsillitis etc.

#2 jindy poss

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Try eating a whole raw clove of garlic, tastes bad but has worked for me before!

#3 jibsi

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hi OP,

REST and SLEEP!!

Also, I'm not a doctor, but my rule of thumb is, if the symptoms have not improved in a week, it probably isn't a cold.
If you feel feverish, shivery, coloured mucous, etc it might be a bacterial infection and you might need antibiotics or something. But you'd have to go to a doctor to get checked out.

Other than that I think the cold and flu meds are your best bet at this stage and sleep it off :-)

#4 Beltie

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Plenty of zinc to help move it along quicker.

#5 Team Awesome

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Olive leaf extract.
Colloidal silver
Elderberry extract

I also do a honey soy ginger chicken or a sweet potato , pumpkin and ginger soup (I play around with ingredients as we can't include onion or garlic due to Dd3 being allergic but would add lots in if we could) these helped DH knock a strain of the flu quickly last year

#6 Blueberrymummy

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (jindy poss @ 25/02/2013, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try eating a whole raw clove of garlic, tastes bad but has worked for me before!

I completely agree with this. It really tastes horrible but it works for me every single time. To make it easier I cut the clove in half and try to chew it in the side of my mouth and swallow really fast without tasting too much and then the same with the other half. It does burn a little too. My husband eats raw onion when he feels a cold coming on but I can't handle that. Garlic is a really potent natural anti-biotic with very strong anti-viral properties too. I don't actually remember the last time I had a cold because I always just eat a clove of garlic if I feel like I'm coming down with something.

#7 tflyer

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hot water with lemon and honey.
Copious amounts of broccoli (my answer for everything!)
Freshly squeezed orange and vegetable juice.

#8 GeminiSix

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I always find having 2 Vitamin C tablets with each meal stops a cold in it's tracks.

#9 *cough*

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Thanks everyone. I've been chewing vitamin C like a crazy lady. I went up to the shops and got a garlic, zinc, horseradish mix so hopefully that will help.

Chewing a glove of garlic - How bad is it?

#10 *cough*

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (*cough* @ 25/02/2013, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chewing a glove of garlic - How bad is it?

That makes me sound like a princess. I am sure it's no worse then this slamming headache, the nasty cough, the spewing or the blocked ears.

*puts big pants on* I'm going to eat some garlic.

#11 amabanana

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

I love eating raw garlic.   ph34r.gif  It's soooo good with grilled meat and lettuce.

#12 :-) Bec

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I swear by zinc supplements.

#13 *cough*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Well after eating garlic, soup, taking a bunch of supplements and finally having a quiet day I feel better today. Not 100% but far less congested and yucky.

Thanks!

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Zinc supplements, Olive Leaf Extract, plenty of water & rest!

Also if you are congested, try taking an antihistamine such as polaramine of phenergan, they can sometimes be more helpful than cold & flu medication.

#15 Riotproof

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

I made this http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...ken-Soup-378347 when I ha my last cold.. It really did seem to help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.