booking flights etc for a wedding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

A couple we know have recently announced their engagement (yay!) and we have received an email from them to "save the date".  The wedding will be interstate for us (home town for the couple & for our own extended family) and it's planned for mid-September.

Do I book flights now or wait until we receive the official invitation?

The thing is, DH and I weren't planning on going back to visit family this year (not until Xmas - using up 2 weeks of annual leave then).  However, if we fly back for the wedding, we are thinking we might stay for a week and kill two birds with the one stone (i) attend wedding and (ii) do a family catch-up.  However, if there is no wedding, we're not interested in making the trip just to visit family.

So, what would you do?  Book flights now or wait until we have an invitation in our hot little hands?

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 25 February 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#2 Green Witch

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

I would assume that if I have received the save the date email I am on the list of invited people for the wedding.

#3 madmother

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (Green Witch @ 25/02/2013, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would assume that if I have received the save the date email I am on the list of invited people for the wedding.

Yes. Book when flights on sale next!

#4 Therese

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I would book now too.

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

As far as I knew you only send save the date cards to those who you will be inviting.

The only thing you may need to check with them is if there will be any functions on the day before the wedding you may be invited to. My friend had her hen's luncheon on the day before the wedding as most of us were flying in from around the country & it was a lot easier to organise for then.

#6 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I've only heard of save the dates being sent to actual invitees.

It would be OK to contact them and tell them you are booking flights, and as PP said find out if there are other events (hens, recovery BBQ etc) you should plan around.

#7 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thanks everyone.  I figured that was the case and have spoken to the couple, so I think it's legit, but DH is not keen to book a week of annual leave if the wedding invitation gets pulled.

It hasn't happened to us personally, but it did happen to one of DH's work colleagues last year (couple basically overestimated how many people they could afford before they sent out the save-the-date cards).  Very awkward I would imagine and DH's work mate was very peeved - flights accommodation had already been booked and paid for, mostly on deals, so not refundable.

I don't think it will be an issue with the couple we know (at least I hope not!).  They know what they are up for - 2nd marriage for both.

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 25/02/2013, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as I knew you only send save the date cards to those who you will be inviting.

The only thing you may need to check with them is if there will be any functions on the day before the wedding you may be invited to. My friend had her hen's luncheon on the day before the wedding as most of us were flying in from around the country & it was a lot easier to organise for then.

Bride-to-be and I have chatted already, she hasn't mentioned anything like that.  But I will check - good idea.  Thanks

#8 blackcat20

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (Green Witch @ 25/02/2013, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have heard of save the date cards being sent to a large group of people to allow the couple time to narrow down their choices...not someone Id want to be friends with. But in this case, sounds like its all a go-ahead, but maybe check details with the couple before booking anything?

#9 Funwith3

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

I think you could safely book flights. I thought that was the whole point of 'save the dates'? So that people could get organised for the wedding and not claim that they didn't have enough time to plan, or that the flights were too expensive.

Really, even when you have the official invite, the wedding could still get called off - right up until the day OF the wedding. So if that's your reasoning, you'd never be booking flights!

Book now, I say!  biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.