Grade 3 Spelling words

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 my4beautifulboys

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Ds (7) came home from school today and in his spelling book it seems they had a test, he got 5/14.
These are the words they had to write down; shin, bench, lamb, comb, thumb, crumbs, heard, brother, sister, answer, wrong, suddenly, wrist, swordfish.

Each week he brings home a new set of words, 14 in total, and have to revise and learn them in a week.
What do you think of these words? for a grade 3 child, i actually thought they were quite difficult.

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

I think they are spot on for Year 3.

#3 jo074

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:10 PM

sounds right for the beginning of year 3.

#4 CupcakeLove22

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

These words are right for beginning of year three. I remember teaching year 3 kids words that end with the silent b at the beginning of the year.

#5 mumto4boys

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

I'd say they are pretty stock standard words for Year 3.

#6 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Yeh they are fairly average words for a year 3 but if your child is continually geting low results in spelling tests then the words should be adjusted to suit his abilities. Not everyone in the class should have the same words. There are normally at least 3 spelling lists of words within the one class. I have had up to 6 different lists in a class to cater for the various levels.

Edited by CocobeanLillylove, 26 February 2013 - 12:33 AM.

#7 my4beautifulboys

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thankyou for youre replies, Yes some of the words he can manage ok but most he is struggling with abit. He said that they had a test at school yesterday and the whole class did the same words. I would have thought the teacher would have different sets of words, of varying difficulty, depending of the level of each child.

#8 mumto3princesses

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

I agree, they seem about Year 3 spelling words to me. But spelling words really should be catered to the individual child. Either harder for ones that are up to it and easier or less words for the ones that find it difficult.

My twins (Year 4 in a 3/4 class) teacher said she was going to start everyone out with the same words for the first couple of weeks while she see's where everyone sits. I actually haven't seen their spelling words yet but I know they have been doing them in class.

DD#3 had similar words last year and found them quite difficult. She started out with just 10 words initially and worked her way up to about 18. (extra 2x words after getting them all right for 3 weeks in a row) While DD#2 had much harder words.

#9 Cooperdoo

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

I don't think they are that hard. I'm sure my 8 year old, who is in year 2 would be able to spell all of those.

#10 Propaganda

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

I don't think they look difficult.

Mine is a year behind yours, but I think that these look like the kinds of words that would show up in her lists as a year 2 student.

#11 jupiter71

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Looks like the same level of difficulty my daughter gets. She's 7 but she's in year 2.

#12 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

They seem normal for a Grade 3 but very hard for a child of 7!  Most 7 year olds I know are in Grade 1 and still learning to read!  We are in eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

#13 NunSoFeral

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

They are pretty much on par on what my year three boy receives.

If he is struggling a bit maybe try writing them up large on a big piece of butchers paper and attaching to a kitchen/dining room cupboard door.
We do this  - they are in constant view when sitting at the table,  and I do a pop quiz of three or four words per day on top of specific practice.

Also we use and spell the words in context -
ie "what are we having for dinner, mum?
"lamb chops my love - how do you spell that?" type of jobbie.

#14 my4beautifulboys

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

My Ds is still 7 and he is in Grade 3!, he is one of the younger ones in his year.  He does manage most of them, but he s having trouble with the silent letter words. I think that the teacher was just testing them yesterday as a whole class, to see what level theyre all at, then she 'll probably send them home with words that are suited to there level.

#15 liveworkplay

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Looks like what my dd was getting at the end of last year in yr 2. I have a 7 year old but she is still.in year 1 and wouldn't be getting anywhere near that level of words to spell. My 9 year old is in year 3 and would have no problems.

#16 *dreamer*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

DD is in year 3 this year and these look about standard for what she is learning.  Although her lists seem to also include a couple of really tricky ones at the end.

#17 Julie3Girls

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Test on Monday at our school is usually a pre-test.  The teacher gives them a quick test in the words that are going to be their spelling homework for the week.  Then at the end of the week, they get tested again after having studied the words during the week.

Oh, and most of the classes my girls have been have the same words ... Usually taken from their accelerated literacy book that they are studying.  Some teachers do a sliding scale. Eg some kids only have to do the first 10 words, others have 15 etc. if you get all your words right in the test a couple of weeks in a row, your number of words go up. Other teachers do a standard list, and then have additional extension words for the better spellers.

#18 EsmeLennox

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Yes, average for the beginning of year 3. My DS is also 7 in grade 3. Some kids are naturally better than others at spelling, it is a skill that takes some time to develop.

Edited by Jemstar, 26 February 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#19 LadyLabyrinth

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

My 8yo grade 3 has this week tool, shook, blood, street, sweep, dream, head, beach, great, paint, road, float. Also sight words able, already, beautiful, brought, fraction, decimal, numerator, denominator.

#20 ellebelle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

As PP, he is probably given a test without knowing the list at the beginning of the week and then another at the end of the week where he will hopefully come good. MY DS in yr 3 usually comes home on Monday getting 7/15 but by the end of the week 13 + / 15.

#21 liveworkplay

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Also sight words able, already, beautiful, brought, fraction, decimal, numerator, denominator.

I thought sight words were those which could not be spelled out phonetically?

#22 EssentialBludger

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Just had a look at DD grade 3's words.

Week 1:

Barbeque
Basically
Believable
Between
Biscuit
Blossom
Brilliant
Business
Comfortable
Exhibition
Observe
Obvious
Probably
Reliable
Responsible

Week 2:

Accident
Adequate
Advertise
Ambulance
Ankle
Annual
Answer
Astronaut
Average
Balance
Exaggerate
Imagination
Parallel
Satellite
Maximum

Week 3:

Accident
Backwards
Basically
Character
Chemist
Expensive
Flexible
Kaleidoscope
Kangaroo
Kerosene
Quantity
Quarrel
Quarter
Stomach
Wreckage

I thought these were pretty standard words for 8/9 year olds.

#23 Coffeegirl

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

They look pretty basic for year 3 in NSW.  

DS is a really good speller and is always given extension lists. The whole year has to master the same 'base' words and the extension words are not included in the weekly tests on Fridays.

His extension words are usually given from the science areas that they are studying that week.  So an example of the base words would be what your DS has, but the extension words may include

Australia
Circumnavigate
Pacific
Queensland

Etc.

#24 Expelliarmus

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Essential Bludger, your DD's words are advanced for year three and are closer to 'pretty standard' Year 5/6.

#25 .Jerry.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

OP's list words are average for year three.  My year two daughter brings home some similar to that.

Agree with howdo, Essentail Bludger's DD's words are quite advanced for grade three.

My child's school (and mine...) uses "Words their Way" method for teaching spelling.  This looks at specific features of words (phonics, derivation, etc) and groups spelling words in order to teach a specific skill.  This is a great way to do spelling words as it is more than a rote list and hopefully teaches a spelling skill that can be transferred to other words.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.