Study load? 3 or 4 topics?
Is it possible to do 4 topics at uni with children?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 blackbird

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

I am starting uni next week and still trying to decide if I should do 3 or 4 topic, 3 of the topics seem straight forward, and one is a bit more involving, environmental science but I am thinking that that I dont really need critical reasoning as you already get a bit of that in Psychology 1A

Advice?

Edited by blackbird, 26 February 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#2 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

As you've suggested, I think it depends on the topics. Maybe enrol in all 4 and go along to the first few lectures to see how they are, you can withdraw from any without having to pay before the census date (normally about a month after term starts). You can also go to lectures without being enrolled to check them out.

#3 jmaz86

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Depends on how many children you have...I do uni with a number of people who have 2 or more children and seem to cope with a full time load well...we all do nursing so they do find it hard around clinical placement where we are away for 4 weeks at a time. But saying that if you have good time management you should be fine.

Edited by jmaz86, 26 February 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#4 akkiandmalli

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

It's possible but very hard.. You must have support so you can do your homework/ readings etc.. I studied my masters when DS was a newborn and dd was 2.. Very difficult that's was ft on campus my DH was amazing

#5 AnotherFeral

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Depends on your circumstances, amount of support, coping ability, availability of childcare/babysitting, etc..

#6 blackbird

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

Thanks ladies, might just have to try it and see how it goes

#7 cattyrae

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Im currently doing a full time load 4 units. i have 5 kids and work casual. my hubby is a teacher.

this is my first year. at the moment i seem to be just staying afloat. i have had sick kids since i started. i have had to miss some tuts because i have not had anyone to look after them. last week i had a daughter in hospital.

at our uni we had 4 weeks to decide to cut down or pull out without any fees charged or fails for a unit. im pushing through with the 4. but next sem i will be only doing 3 units because im doing a unit in the winter term.

Its hard work. Good luck original.gif

#8 sedawson

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

I'm doing two units per semester with a 6month old and a nine year old. I don't work but do ALL the household management and maintenance.
I can just do it, I need to get 80% plus for both subjects so I don't sleep much.

#9 blackbird

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

wow thank you for sharing, I will give it go, wont know till I try original.gif

#10 Floki

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

I did anywhere from two subjects right up to six subjects per semester during my degree. It helped that my DH was very supportive and helped out where he could.

It can be done but you need to be organised and sometimes inflexible with your study times etc.

#11 Funnington

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

I think it depends on a few factors - the course you are doing, whether you're on or off-campus and your family support.  

I did Commerce a while back - off-campus, with two children (three towards the end), working part-time (full-time towards the end) with good family support and childcare.

Personally 2 - 3 units per trimester was ample for me.  Four units would have tipped me over the edge biggrin.gif .

My advice would be - enrol in four, gauge your capabilities before the Census date then, withdraw from one Unit until you settle into your studies.  I personally don't think it's a good idea to skip any learning material when you first start, you need to suck everything up.  After a while, you'll become more savvy with 'pruning' the material.  I found reading chunks from a text book somewhat pointless, I found more value in tutorials, lectures and readings.  But, that's me - giving me a text book and saying 'read chapter 1' is just parroting information, I didn't seem to learn a lot this way.

You'll nut it out after a few study periods.  

Good luck!

#12 spando

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

Give it a try and make a decision before census date. Try things like working to the timetable you plan to, to do four and see if you can keep up with the weekly requirements along with extra time for assignments etc.

#13 GenWhy

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'd say it depends on what GPA you need. I did 4 units a semester previously but a pass was all I needed. This semester I've had to cut back to 2 units as I don't have daycare and I need 75% final mark in each unit. I've also had 2 units RPL'ed through previous study and work history though. Next semester I'm doing 5 units - but I will have daycare by then and two are prac units. My DH will either be FIFO or only coming home every 4 weeks for 6 days so I will no doubt be a hysterical mess.

#14 kpingitquiet

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

This is my first quarter (studying online) and I'm doing 2. It's not overwhelming and I'm sure I could squeeze in a third but I don't see a great need to go overboard when I'm just finding my rhythm between study and family. I will likely triple up from time to time but as online study allows no days off I don't want to push it. I'm a bit weird about grades and want to get as close to perfect as I can, but that's my thing and it'll help me with getting into grad school.

I'm taking Critical Thinking (phil) and finding it incredibly useful in my concurrent Sociology class. Not a breezy class by any stretch, more work than the Soc. I think it really depends on what your overall degree plan might be.

#15 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

It certainly depends on individual circumstances.

I am a sole parent with 100% care to a 3 year old, so, for me, 2 units is just right.

Like koingitquiet I am funny about grades and want to do the best I can, as in order for me to get the most out of my degree I need to do honours.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.