Ants in my house?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CupcakeLove22

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

So the last few days I have notices more and more ants coming inside my house. The thing is they aren't in the kitchen, the seem to be around our front door and entrance and in our master bedroom. I can't work out why or where they are coming from. We have no food or drinks left out and nothing spilt anywhere, so no idea why they are coming in!
Does anyone know why they would be coming inside and how I can stop it? Thanks

#2 Bathsheba52

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

In my experience. ants come inside for one of 2 reasons. If it is wet outside, they come into the dry. If is is dry outside, they come in looking for water. Sigh. Try to find out where they are coming from, and sprinkle talcum powder around. The can't walk through it.....

#3 Hmmmm

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

We had a frustrating problem with ants and we think they were coming in for water.  My husband put lots of ant sand stuff under the house but it didn't work.  Apparently they can make nests in the walls.

I ended up using the ant rid stuff that you leave in their trails and then the take it back to the nest and it kills off the whole nest.  Almost drove me crazy not killing them when I saw them, but after about a day or so they all disapeared and I haven't seen them again since.

#4 Lishyfips

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

They're driving me nuts lately, too!

They started coming in for water and then found their way to the bin. Ant rid works for a day and then they're back. After the big downpour in Melbourne last night I've not had any today. Fingers crossed they've gone for good!

#5 KBM

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...;#entry15285881

Sorry, got no advice for you as presently struggling with my own ant problem.

Some of these ideas worked but then they just seem to return at another place.

At present they like my laundry, my daughters bedroom and my bathroom.  The last two are upstairs and no food or drink (other than water) allowed upstairs so not sure what theyre eating/looking for?

#6 barney34

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Have the same problem, glad its not just me! They are in my kitchen even when left sparkling  mellow.gif They are now coming out of a crack in the wall and marching up and inside my pantry and climbing up my honey jar. Thankfully they are not getting inside the lid! DH googled remedies and it suggested black pepper so did this- did nothing! DH went and got me ant-rid, put drops in/on crack in wall, along ant path and in pantry and just saw they got onto the jar of honey again!!!  mad.gif They are actually marching through the poison as ive been leaving drops for 4 days now! Dont know what to do next??? And if its not the honey they'll latch on to something else! Im over it so can symphathise!

Edited by barney34, 26 February 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#7 dotty27

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

I had an ant problem they were coming in front door and in Living room, I sprayed them all with fly spray and then got a bucket of warm soapy water and tipped it outside front door (wash there smell away so they loose there trail) and then vacuumed and mopped floors inside, we haven't had them again!!

#8 rainycat

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

We are also under attack, they have even been inside my dishwasher.
We are going to use surface spray under the house and see if that helps.

#9 aratiaw

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Borax worked for me. Just a bit mixed with honey or sugar syrup. Put in a small dish, e.g. milk bottle lid. It took a day or so, but they haven't returned. Just be sure to put the mixture somewhere kids and pets won't be able to touch it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.