powerpoint presentation
How? Do I need to buy Office?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mummabear

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'm stuck. My son needs to do a powerpoint presentation for homework. I have Microsoft Office 2010 Starter, but no product key, and even when it lets me use it (it's faulty!) there is no Powerpoint on it. But I can view Powerpoint, is this one and the same program?

Do I need to purchase Powerpoint or Office or what do I do? I'm clueless.

Edited by mummabear, 26 February 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#2 DK3000

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Download Open Office, it is a free version of the Microsoft office products (Word, Powerpoint, Excel etc)

#3 DK3000

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Sorry, should have included link!Open Office

#4 HGL

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Unfortuntely you'll probably have to buy Powerpoint. Powerpoint is considered an 'Office ie. corporate' product so it doesn't come standard with most home versions.
If you have a Windows machine, you can usually view a ppt document but not create or edit (a bit like Adobe PDF).

For a cheap and legal option check out 'It's not cheating' if your son is in school or uni.
http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts...ting/terms.aspx

I have to admit it's a bit disappointing that the school expects parents to have Powerpoint. Alternatively, you could create a presentation (but no animation functionality) using Word and then PDF it.

If you have an iPad or Mac you can use Keynote. I *think* it's $22 from the app store. Certainly from a business perspective, a lot of people are now using Keynote as they can plug their iPad directly into a tv and not lug a laptop around.

HTH

#5 HGL

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (DK3000 @ 26/02/2013, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Download Open Office, it is a free version of the Microsoft office products (Word, Powerpoint, Excel etc)

^ Open Office is a good option!

There's the purchase link if you would like to buy an academic version of Office http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msaus/...uctID.260298000

#6 FeralZombieMum

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Definitely use Open Office! When it's finished, save it as a powerpoint version.

#7 mandala

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

If you have a hotmail/live.com email address, you could also try using the Powerpoint web app via the SkyDrive link (when you log in to Hotmail/Outlook.com).

#8 mummabear

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Actually I have 2010 Microsoft Office. It seems to be the full version, but I was never given a product key  cry1.gif

I bought the computer from WOW, enough said. I have to try find the paperwork and check it out. Maybe I missed it!

#9 HGL

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (mummabear @ 26/02/2013, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually I have 2010 Microsoft Office. It seems to be the full version, but I was never given a product key cry1.gif

I bought the computer from WOW, enough said. I have to try find the paperwork and check it out. Maybe I missed it!

The Product Key is usually a barcode sticker on the side of the CD sleeve or packaging. If they installed for you and didn't provide a disk, they should have stuck the sticker on the CPU.

#10 unicycle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Let the school know you not have the software. It is highly unlikely they expect you to buy it. They are bound to allow you to use an alternative

#11 tarind

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

I actually brought new office system today....My old one was 2005 and basic- brought powerpoint and excel  today as my son needs them for homework and project presentations

#12 mummabear

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

The Product Key is usually a barcode sticker on the side of the CD sleeve or packaging. If they installed for you and didn't provide a disk, they should have stuck the sticker on the CPU.

I was not provided the disk, and there is product keys on the back for Windows 7 but not Office. I seem to remember them telling me that Office was not included in this package. So I was suprised to see it on there. However with no key provided it is useless. I can't find my paperwork! Argh! I want to check they haven't stuck it on the operating manual or something!

Thank you everyone for your help!

#13 mummabear

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

ok NOW I understand what is going on! I have the starter package, which is activated, but I need to purchase a full version!

Right, now to find the cheapest option! The student link someone posted above is only for Uni or Tafe students, not High School...

#14 DK3000

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Sorry to repeat, but given your above comment needing the cheapest option, I would again recommend Open Office, it is an open source version of the Microsoft Office products, developed by people who believe we shouldn't be paying exorbitant pricing for basic software!

Open Office

It's completely free and super easy to use.

Good Luck!

#15 mummabear

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Thankyou DK3000 but I really not sure what that means. My son has to take his presentation via USB to school, which uses Microsoft Office...are they compatible? I have no idea about this particular software sorry, so forgive me for sounding so clueless!

#16 DK3000

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

No problem at all!!  

They are compatible software:)  Have a look at the open office site it has a lot of instructions, which are very clear.

Basically, you download the Open Office software, then follow instructions to get started.  You can choose the format to save the project in, so just select Microsoft Powerpoint, save to the USB when finished and you will be good to go!

#17 DK3000

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Open Office How to guides

Here is the link for the user guides...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.