Documentaries needed

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'm running low!  I'm even working through all the ones on topdocumentaries.com.

Anyone seen anything fabulous recently?

Not so much interested in war or music stuff, but love science, history, pop culture, nature, politics and more.

HIT ME WITH YOUR FAVES!

#2 Fr0g

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Anything by Louis Theroux, goes without saying.

I also saw an awesome doco about a guy who donated his body to science for mummification. *Most* intriguing thing I've ever watched; very moving and scientifically fascinating! I'm off to Google to find out what it's called...

ETA: "Mummifying Alan". http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc1/201207...7-12T213425.htm

Edited by FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog, 26 February 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#3 .Jerry.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Not really documentary, but I love the "Supersizers" series from the UK.

Supersizers go...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supersizers...
Great series about food through the ages.  Very informative and funny.

They've also done a series about recreating the BBC comedy "The Good Life".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00w08q9
You can find it on Youtube

Plus like the series about the history of "The High Street".  Not sure where to watch it though.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v7p71

Also liked the series on SBS about "The People's Supermarket" in the UK.  
http://www.channel4.com/4food/on-tv/the-pe...les-supermarket

(I'm not much use really... laughing2.gif  No decent links to shows.)

P.S.  I am currently working my way through lots of Louis Theroux's documentaries.  Some are good, some so-so.

Edited by .Jerry., 26 February 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#4 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

OMG, the one on recreating the Good Life could rock!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

#5 Ella Minnow Pea

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Recently for me, If We Had No Moon and David Attenborough's First Life have been awesome, mind expanding documentaries. Really made me realise how amazing our existence is.

#6 JRA

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

There are really good ones out there regarding the space race- some by ron Howard and/or tom hanks

#7 Froger

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

Well if you like history and politics, have you ever seen The Wind that Shakes the Barley? It's a bit old now, and not exactly a doco, it's meant to be a drama, but still it may be something that interests you. Set in Ireland during the 1920s. I only saw it recently, which is why it is on my mind. Not a film for the kids to watch though.

#8 sedawson

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

The King of Kong. God, I love that documentary.

Kumare was on Iview recently, loved that.

Spellbound, about American kids in spelling bees.

And oh, I wish you would see Loose Change, a documentary about 9/11.

Eye Candy is about an American photographer called Chappelle, it's stunning.

And comedian Rich Hall does a rather amazing series of documentaries; one is called something like Inventing the Indian.

Alice in Roboland about the most current robotics theory.

Between the Folds, about staggering origami experts.

Under the Spell of Horses about the value of horses in different cultures.

Michael Moore's Sicko is just, amazing.

I too like documentaries.

#9 Kiki M

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Katie Piper: my beautiful face. It's about a British girl who had acid thrown in her face by someone hired by her ex boyfriend. It's an inspiring story of her treatment and recovery.

#10 unicycle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Is layette to lady a doco? A train wreck certainly, but an eye opening insight into Britain .

#11 sedawson

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Lol 'layette to lady'. Not quite right.

If you have an interest in psychology look for a hard-to-find doco called The Stanford Prison Experiment. This was a hugely influential experiment run in the 1970's by Philip Zimbardo in which a fake prison was created and inmates and guards recruited from a student body. It was designed to run for two weeks but had to be ended after only five days because the behaviour of the otherwise normal men involved quickly degenerated to a dangerous level.
One of the students later became a prison psychologist and every one of them felt their lives had been irrevocably changed. The experiment changed modern psychology forever and Zimbardo was involved in the court cases around the Abu Ghraib incidents.

#12 matt1972

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

One Day in September - is about the drama at the Munich Olympics and is excellent

Murderball - about quadriplegic athletes who play wheelchair rugby

Bus 174 -  depicts what happened in Rio de Janeiro on June 12th 2000, when bus 174 was taken by an armed young man, threatening to shoot all the passengers

Grizzly Man - A devastating and heartrending take on grizzly bear activists Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard

Restrepo - A year with one platoon in the deadliest valley in Afghanistan.

#13 Percoriel

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Searching for Sugarman won best documentary the other day at the oscars and us awesome.

#14 katpaws

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Oliver Stone's "Untold history of the United States"

#15 Academic

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I second Mummifying Alan. Not so good if you're squeamish, but one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen.

There's always something good on SBS On Demand or ABC iview. I wish I wrote the names of some of them down, because I've often happened upon something amazing but forgotten what they were called!

#16 threeinnyc

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

My recent fave: Nat Geo's Meet The Amish

#17 feral_drakk

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

A place fore Pedophiles Louis Theroux. I enjoyed his prison documentary as well as his sex worker one.

#18 threeinnyc

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Oh Louis Theroux is pretty hot biggrin.gif

#19 sinfulamy

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Forbidden Lies - edge of your seat viewing

From Wikipedia

Forbidden Lie$ tells the story of Norma Khouri, author of the book Forbidden Love, purportedly the true story of "Dalia", a young Muslim woman in Jordan murdered by her family in an honor killing because of her affair with a Christian soldier. The documentary first depicts Khouri as a woman bravely exposing a brutal and true story. Eventually, her account is challenged, first by Jordanians, then by Malcolm Knox, an Australian journalist. Ironically, Khouri's first critics are Jordanian women: feminists who, when interviewed, take issue with her western perspectives of Muslim women as victims with no control over their lives.

#20 Wahwah

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I liked The Tall Man, which was based on the book by Chloe Hooper about a death in custody on Palm Island and the subsequent riots and trial. You might be able to watch it on SBS On demand still.

There's a fascinating series on You Tube about a family in the Appalachian Mountains called American Hollow. It's a different world, up there in them there mountains.

Lastly for a bit of trash, also on Youtube, My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. Hardly a doco, but a bejazzled train wreck.

#21 harper_

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

I'm not a fan of Michale Moore, but his doco 'Sicko' is a must see. A topic that needed no exaggeration or embellishment really.

#22 Nataliah

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

I've seen a few good ones recently actually, though they tend to be profiles of a person, rather tahn an issue...

Searching for Sugarman

Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry - about a chinese artist/ political activist

Undefeated - about a high school football team in a poor area of memphis

Annie Leibovitz: Life through a Lens - famous photographer

Bill Cunningham NY - love love love this one about a NY photographer...

#23 harper_

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (sedawson @ 26/02/2013, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The King of Kong. God, I love that documentary.

Kumare was on Iview recently, loved that.

Spellbound, about American kids in spelling bees.

And oh, I wish you would see Loose Change, a documentary about 9/11.

Eye Candy is about an American photographer called Chappelle, it's stunning.

And comedian Rich Hall does a rather amazing series of documentaries; one is called something like Inventing the Indian.

Alice in Roboland about the most current robotics theory.

Between the Folds, about staggering origami experts.

Under the Spell of Horses about the value of horses in different cultures.

Michael Moore's Sicko is just, amazing.

I too like documentaries.

Some great choices there Sedawson. I have to say though with the Loose Change doco I had to stop watching it. I found they were a bit liberal with the truth and I find that with quite a few docos or expose's on controversial or contentious issues. I much prefer a doco told from an objective point of view, it gives the documentary maker much more credibility, rather than a documentary where it's opinion based on 'fact'.

#24 harper_

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (matt1972 @ 27/02/2013, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Grizzly Man - A devastating and heartrending take on grizzly bear activists Timothy Treadwell and Amie Huguenard

Loved that doco. Although saying that, by the end of it, I can't say I agreed with Timothy Treadwell.

#25 ednaboo

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

The Staircase was recommended to me here on EB.  It was gripping!  I believe you can watch it on You Tube?  There are 5 episodes.  Just try to avoid reading about it before you watch each episode as there are spoilers everywhere.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.