Cola at 11yo party

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 aprilrain

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

My 11yo ds is having a Friday evening party 5-9pm. I don't normally let my children have coke, but if it is served at a party, friends place etc, I wouldn't fuss. I was going to get a box of 200ml cans among other flavours. Would this bother you?

#2 FeralBob!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

Not at that age.

#3 NineFeralYears

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

At that time of day!  I'd shrug at a bit of soft drink at that age at a party, but I'd be slightly p*ssy if kids who may not know better were given the option of coke in the hours before bed time.

(eta:  not that p*ssy though, as my older child already knows to avoid caffinated drinks in the evening).

Edited by Eight.years, 26 February 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#4 Rubyduck

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Nope not at all, it's a party you expect your kids to eat and drink crap.

#5 myboyz

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

That sounds totally reasonable :-)

#6 myboyz

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

That sounds totally reasonable :-)

#7 Fr0g

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

No, as long as there's no bourbon in it.

#8 Missy Shelby

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Not in the slightest.

#9 elliebear

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

I wouldnt like it especially at night time, would have visions of DD staying up for hours after the excitement of a party, the sugar and caffeine ohmy.gif

#10 Super Cat

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

I'd expect it but I wouldn't like it. As long as there were other drinks to choose from it'd be ok.

#11 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I wouldnt have a problem with it. Its a party, not a regular thing.

#12 unicycle

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

It would bother me. Caffeine before bed is not a good thing for almost everyone.

#13 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#14 aprilrain

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Part of me says ' don't be stupid' as I had my childrens friends turn up here with their own 'v', 'mother' etc, when coming for a sleepover ohmy.gif .

One cup of coffee at 5pm and I'm still awake at 1am blink.gif . So I am a bit conscious of it.

#15 JustBeige

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (aprilrain @ 26/02/2013, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 11yo ds is having a Friday evening party 5-9pm. I don't normally let my children have coke, but if it is served at a party, friends place etc, I wouldn't fuss. I was going to get a box of 200ml cans among other flavours. Would this bother you?

no, not at this age.    Not at a party.   Just make sure you have other drinks and when it runs out, its out.    If you are only have 4-5 childrren then I would  more likely just get a couple of bottles as well as other flavours /juice  or punch.

#16 AnotherFeral

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

The soft drink part wouldn't bother me, but the fact it's caffienated would, because it's in the evening.

#17 maurie

Wouldn't bother me, but my 12 yo doesn't drink it, she's not a fan.  It's at most parties she goes to, but so is lemonade/raspberry/fanta etc.

#18 glasnost

No, I wouldn't have a problem at this age.

#19 Expelliarmus

It would bother me. My family don't drink Coke and it annoys the everliving crap out of me that this is all that is ever on offer.

Please, make sure there's another option.

#20 laridae

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Not at that time of day.  Lunchtime party it would be fine.

#21 librablonde

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I'd be ok but hope there were other options available as well: some juice, water, lemonade and Fanta perhaps. Maybe a fruit punch or something?

#22 Cyaira

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Wouldn't bother me, plus they're 200ml cans not 375 so a bit less sugar and caffeine (though of course they could drink more than one). I'd say plenty of kids would be hyper from the party full stop and there would be plenty of sugar/unhealthy stuff in the other foods.

At 11 kids should be able to make choices about food they do and don't eat (IMO).

#23 aprilrain

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 26/02/2013, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would bother me. My family don't drink Coke and it annoys the everliving crap out of me that this is all that is ever on offer.

Please, make sure there's another option.

I'm that mother who embarasses their kid at Mcdonalds by making them get lemonade biggrin.gif He is at a new school and I don't want him to stick out as 'that party that didn't even have coke' . A box of 200ml cans has 10 I think, between 7-8 kids, so even if some sneaky devil grabs 2, it's still only much the same as one normal can. I would usually serve another choice and heaps of iced water.

#24 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (aprilrain @ 26/02/2013, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, wouldn't bother me but I presume/hope you will also offer other drink options.  Particularly water.  Not only soft drinks and fruit juice.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 26 February 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#25 SummerStar

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Wouldn't bother me if it was there for others, but my kids have never been allowed coke and so they always opt for something else (even water if there's nothing else) since they know they aren't allowed it.
So I wouldn't think any thing of it being available at a party at that age.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.