Travelling to Fiji with 9mth old..
Buying supplies etc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 faithy

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hi travellers!

We'll be traveling with a 9mth old to Fiji soon (staying at denarau, sofitel) and I was wondering what could be purchased there in terms of nappies, babyfood etc. I don't mean to sound ignorant or offensive but do I need to make sure I have everything or can I not stress and buy things there if desperate?

Thanks in advance

#2 eachschoolholidays

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

You will be fine - there's a store down at the Marina that sells nappies etc  They are expensive, so I would bring enough to tide you over.  But if you run out, you'll definitely be able to buy some.  Same goes for baby food.

#3 FeralFerretOfDoom

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

Seconding PP, there is plenty of stuff available. Rather than buy at the marina, you can get a bus or taxi into one of the supermarkets in Nadi, which are a lot cheaper. They don't have the same range that we have here, but you'll find everything you need.

The one thing you will have trouble with is fresh milk, it is pretty much impossible to find. We live on long-life milk when over there; if your little one is currently drinking cows milk and hasn't had the long-life stuff before, I suggest you start trying it now so the taste is not new when you get there.

#4 faithy

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

I forgot about this post.. But have remembered as its coming up very soon.
Another qn! Would you say that it would be too hot to take the ergo carrier to Fiji? Are we better off just using our stroller and leaving our carrier at home?
Thanks again ! :-)

#5 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:39 AM

Hi I took both a stroller and an ergo.  The ergo was good for walking on the beach/reef, and also for going to towns/villages.  The Fijian ladies were very keen on kissing DS (9 mo) and the Ergo slowed them down a bit.  It was also great for getting him to sleep on the plane and the airport when our flight home was delayed.

Re the shopping, I brought enough nappies and a fair bit of baby food - we found that there wasn't much choice of baby food in the supermarket in Nadi - I liked the Rafferties style pouches which weren't available.  But the resort made DS some lovely meals as well.  Plus I didn't want to waste time supermarket shopping.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.