How do you pick a good Fig?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JustBeige

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

As the title says, how do you pick a nice Fig?  

I havent eaten them for years and  years. We used to get ours from the man across the road and I dont remember him ever telling me how to pick a nice one.  Just got used to them being sweet. original.gif

I got some from Coles last week, with the thought to introduce them to the kids and they were all off.  Not impressed at all.  mad.gif

#2 foxy_feline

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

I'm probably not the ideal person to ask - I don't pick them from in-store I pick them off the fig tree in the backyard, so might be different for you.

I know they're ripe and ready to eat then and there when they're soft to the touch (not squishy - then they're too far gone), and usually (when picking from the tree), have a drop or two of nectar starting to come from the bottom. They don't keep for more than a day or two at this point though, so in buying from grocers or supermarkets you'll probably find they're more on the firm (but not hard) side. Think like choosing a ripe and ready to 'spread' avocado, or ready-to-eat nectarine. Generally they should also be starting to go pink.

Mind you, the other hint they're ready is that we have to fight the birds and fruit bats for them!

#3 FeralSis

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

I would agree with PP.

I think my DH bought some from Coles as well.

They were not off but all very under-ripe with no flavour.

What I did was trim the tops and cut them into quarters. Then drizzled with honey and baked at 150 deg. In oven until they were slightly softened. Took about 10 mins. Then served with vanilla ice cream and they were delish.

That doesn't help you pick a good one but may help in the event you are faced with some not so good figs!

#4 JustBeige

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

Thanks ladies.

Foxy, thats what we used to get fromm our neighbour as kids, so thats what I was looking for.  Will keep in mind the 'not squishy' thing original.gif

SS - thanks for the tip, I will have to try that

#5 credence

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

You can tell by that little pinkish star at the bottom. If it's nice and red it's ripe, if it's pale it's not. A drop of nectar is definitely a sign of sweetness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.