WA State Election

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 *cough*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Ok so here goes *puts on flame suit* I have no idea who to vote for this election. I take things seriously but these campaigns are more about making the other look like idiots rather than getting proper considered info out to people. I wish there was a clear document comparing one party to the other...

If you are prepared to discuss it (and lets please do it in a respectful & educated way) who are you considering voting for and why?

What do you consider the top three election policies?

ETA - I suppose it's only fair to say what I think.

I'm considering labour... Just got off the phone to my local electorate, will call libs next, then greens.

1. Cancer research funding
2. Infrastructure (railway, roads)
3. Crime prevention policies

Edited by *cough*, 27 February 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#2 *cough*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Well this is awkward... I thought someone would have something to say...

#3 bunnysquared

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hi cough !

Yup, I am not sure where to vote either.

I think they both have ridiculous grandiose plans (stadiums, ridiculous transport ideas) that are more about their egos than about using the states present wealth for long time benefit !

I would like to know Labors views on James Price Point and abut the increasing use of temporary work visas to employ cheaper o/s labour.

I can't see Julia pulling off a national labour win so state labor might be an option people here see as a 'bet in both directions' if you get my drift !!

#4 bunnysquared

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Oh and of course healthcare is a huge huge issue.
How can such a wealthy state have such a run down, overcrowded, s@#$$y children's hospital ... it is shameful.
(Yes I know a new hospital is coming ... I guess once they sort the football stadium out)

#5 Cranky Kitten

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Give it a bit more than 20 minutes maybe?

To be honest I'm torn. I've always typically been a Liberal voter, but am leaning more and more towards Labor this time around. I feel dirty.

But when it comes down to it, Labor seem more in touch with what WA needs. Things like transport issues, healthcare (not just cancer funding, but across the board) and crime. They're also not leaving rural areas out to dry - coming from a farming background, foreign investment in farming areas is a concern, however it's not one that's easily answered. Farmers are selling out because of years of bad returns/drought and the banks tightening lending criteria.

My only concern is how well they've costed everything. Which has always been their weakness.

#6 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I have no idea either. Both sides look pretty sh*t (as generally is the case for most elections).

#7 wintergirl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I am in the same boat as you not really sure who I will vote for yet. I like same of the policies from both major parties and are against some policies from both parties. I'm concerned about the inadequate funding to services who support our most vulnerable people (mental health, homelessness etc) but not convinced this would change under Labor?

My primary issues are:
support/funding to service who support the vulnerable
public transport (I like Metronet...I think it caters well for the future)
policing/law and order

unfortunately I don't like either leader. I think Barentt is arrogant and has no understanding of what is happening with the lower-middle income families, ans McGowan is just unknown and boring.

I also don't like how much $$ Lib has "wasted" on things like his office, foreshore redevelopment etc, but then not keen on Labor getting in and changing it all costing more money, more delays...hmm I'm not sure - will be reading for others opinions too

#8 lonelygoatherd

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (bunnysquared @ 27/02/2013, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think they both have ridiculous grandiose plans (stadiums, ridiculous transport ideas) that are more about their egos than about using the states present wealth for long time benefit !

yyes.gif

I'm leaning towards voting Labor for the first time ever, for the same reasons as Cranky Kitten. But although I like their Metronet plan, the fact that the airport train line won't deliver passengers directly to the terminal, relying instead on a shuttle bus, is off-putting.

But when the alternative is the combined arrogance of Barnett and Kim Hames, well it doesn't leave me much choice IMO.

#9 niggles

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Something you might like to consider with regards to crime prevention is the ineffectiveness of mandatory sentencing. It's not something I can support.

QUOTE (lonelygoatherd @ 27/02/2013, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yyes.gif

I'm leaning towards voting Labor for the first time ever, for the same reasons as Cranky Kitten. But although I like their Metronet plan, the fact that the airport train line won't deliver passengers directly to the terminal, relying instead on a shuttle bus, is off-putting.

But when the alternative is the combined arrogance of Barnett and Kim Hames, well it doesn't leave me much choice IMO.

It will deliver people directly to the new terminal that is under construction.

#10 *cough*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (lonelygoatherd @ 27/02/2013, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that is where political spin in coming in. The old airport will be closed by 2020, but I think it will take that long to build a train line, we are already in 2013, plans have to be drawn, planning approval, tendering, contracting, appropriation bill, construction, commissioning - it might be 2018 before it's built. So while there will be a shuttle bus for a little while, the reality is that the new airport (where the line will go directly) is the future.

I think it's a wise plan and is forward thinking unlike our other train lines. I remember when the Mandurah line opened and immediately there were not enough car bays. Talk about total fail.

#11 *cough*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (niggles @ 27/02/2013, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something you might like to consider with regards to crime prevention is the ineffectiveness of mandatory sentencing. It's not something I can support.

Exactly, the liberals cut the crime prevention budget in half. Half! The build bigger jails, have courts operating 7 days fixes the wrong end of the criminal justice system. Why aren't we working with families/people to prevent crime and rehabilitate people?

Labour are doubling the crime prevention budget... and they have a lot of grass roots plans which I like. Things like CCTV and better lighting actually work. Simple but effective.

#12 lonelygoatherd

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Oh sweet, thanks for the edumacation guys original.gif That sounds so much better than what I had assumed was the case!

*sits back to listen & learn*

#13 mmuc83

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (*cough* @ 27/02/2013, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly, the liberals cut the crime prevention budget in half. Half! The build bigger jails, have courts operating 7 days fixes the wrong end of the criminal justice system. Why aren't we working with families/people to prevent crime and rehabilitate people?

Labour are doubling the crime prevention budget... and they have a lot of grass roots plans which I like. Things like CCTV and better lighting actually work. Simple but effective.

^^ completely agree...

#14 sandgropergirl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

CCTV and better lighting is stuff of local governments. Mark Magowan is one of these who would say anything to win government, doesn't win my vote. Barnett may not be perfect but he doesn't try and please everyone

#15 TheMuriels

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'll be voting Greens.

#16 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

I always find myself voting against the worst person rather than for the best, but there is no way in the world I'll vote for Mark McGowan after living in his electorate.

#17 *cough*

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (SeaPrincess @ 27/02/2013, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always find myself voting against the worst person rather than for the best, but there is no way in the world I'll vote for Mark McGowan after living in his electorate.

Can you explain why? I am keen to be as well informed as possible.

#18 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

I'm with The Muriels.

Green all the way.

#19 kittennic

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

I'm voting Greens.

#20 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (*cough* @ 28/02/2013, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you explain why? I am keen to be as well informed as possible.

I'll PM you

#21 Sue Heck

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

I am a green voter every time. But my preference if the greens don't get my vote is for  our local sitting member who is Labor. I have met him a few times and he is a really genuine and dedicated man who actually does a lot in the community and I want to see him return.

#22 loubee

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I am so sick and tired of the mail outs, predominantly from the Liberal Party and the bloody posters of the candidates every where you look. This week alone  I had 2 different letters with pretty much the same info addressed to DH and I and for someone no longer living here. These letters talked about what had been achieved in my electorate namely the removal of a derelict house that was an eyesore  ohmy.gif , seriously that's the most important thing you achieved in 4 years!

QUOTE (SeaPrincess @ 03/03/2013, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll PM you

Why not share with everyone?

#23 Last Goodbye

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (SeaPrincess @ 03/03/2013, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll PM you

Please share with us all, I'd be interested to hear.

I despised Mark McGowan after he axed a successful Rally Australia only to replace it with the Redbull Air Race (which didn't last) so the thought of voting for him makes my skin crawl, however, I can't see what Colin Barnett has done for our state apart from build himself and nice new office and dug out a beautiful public park only to develop a river side playground and apartments for the rich.

The increased level of crime and the lack of sentencing concerns me greatly.  The justice system needs an overhaul where criminals are not just set free to re offend.  There's a lack of police officers but their time is taken up chasing criminals which should've been imprisoned for their previous offences.

I love the idea of MetroNet.  We are a growing city and when you look around the world at other cities our rail network can only be described as pathetic at best.

#24 SeaPrincess

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (loubee @ 04/03/2013, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not share with everyone?

Originally because I wasn't sure of the source of the information, but it seems to be common knowledge among the people I know.

We lived in Mark McGowan's electorate when Kim Beazley was the federal member for the same area.  It was a very safe Labour seat at both levels, devoid of any govt expenditure - Labour didn't need to spend any money to get votes, Libs apparently didn't think it would make a difference. We occasionally saw KB visiting his submarines, but he didn't live locally, and had been politically moved to the seat after his own seat turned from safe Labour to marginal while he was the sitting member.  When we were coming up to a state election with Geoff Gallup as premier, MM was off in Canberra with KB - Geoff Gallup apparently had to order him back to the state to support the election. As a state politician, it just didn't appear that state interests were his priority at the time.

I won't vote Greens because they don't support any govt funding of private schools, yet the govt schools couldn't possibly support all the children whose parents might not be able to afford private schools with no govt funding (and I'm mainly talking about primary schools here).

We haven't had any mailouts - perhaps we are once again living in such a safe seat that nobody cares/bothers. We've been here less than a year.

#25 loubee

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thank you Seaprincess, I was expecting something really bad. Like it or not its pretty much how most safe seats, regardless of party, fare in the great state handout.

I don't think Govt should support private schools either. If all the money directed to private education was redirected to public the schools would cope. Makes me so cross to see top private schools making million dollar profits while so many govt schools barely get through. I don't have as big a problem with the Catholic School System or smaller independent schools receiving some govt funding but definitely not elite schools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.