Hotel recommendations for London, Rome and Venice?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Anyone got any hotel recommendations for London, Rome or Venice?

We don't want anything too flash just a bed, tv and own bathroom. Also prefer to have daily breakfast.

There will be DH and I and DS will be 2y8m and DD 11 months.

#2 iavy

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

We just spent a week here in Venice with our 2 kids aged 8 & 5. It was pretty basic and the bed was hard, but it was clean and a great location and so cheap! It did include a very basic breakfast.

http://www.hotelbernardi.com/eng/

#3 countrymel

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

My friend and I got a great deal on a hotel in Venice Mestre - It was actually a brothel!
Think they were down on girls so had decided to rent out a few rooms for the 'whole night' instead of by the hour! Everyone was very friendly though..

Our experience aside - it is WAY cheaper to stay there than on the island itself, obviously not as pretty by a long shot but if you are worried about your budget it will save you a ton.

#4 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

In Rome we stayed in Hotel Traiano. It was very centrally situated, we walked to all the sights although the Vatican was a bit of a hike. The room was nothing special, but we did have our own bathroom, a portacot was provided for our 18mo and a single bed for our 3yo and breakfast was included. I'd stay there again. I wouldn't recommend walking there from the train station with all your luggage and two small children in pouring rain though.

Haven't been to Venice so can't comment there, and we rented a flat in London.

Enjoy your trip. original.gif

#5 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll check those places out original.gif

#6 Apageintime

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

In Rome I stayed here - http://www.hotelcampodefiori.com/en/home.htm

was a fantastic location and we got the apartments with the little kitchenette, which was super handy to eat all the gorgeous food from the morning markets below!

#7 SophieBear

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I stayed at Hotel Olimpia in Venice.

It was easy to find because Piazzale Roma is near by and there are signs throughout Venice pointing the way (because you do get lost each time).

My London and Rome hotels were awful so can't help you there!

#8 seayork2002

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

We stay in the Travelodge in Kew Bridge

#9 Twolittleducks

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

We stayed here in Rome many moons ago. http://www.the-beehive.com/rooms-and-rates...#33;prettyPhoto

Was inexpensive, quiet and convenient. Read up on the latest reviews.

Cheers

#10 knickerless

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

In Venice we stayed in Locanda Ca'Amadi...right on the canals and was reasonably priced when we stayed. i would recommend staying on Venice itself, it is a very different experience wandering around late at night once all of the cruise ships and day trippers have left.

In London I have stayed in many hotels from The Waldorf to various Travelodges...to be honest book a Travelodge in advance and get rooms for 30 pounds - spend the change on meals and shopping!

Edited by knickerless, 28 February 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#11 Ehill

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

In London - Harrington apartments in Sth Kensington.  Fantastic location.  It is not cheap but you are in zone 1 so will save $$ on travel costs, also you can eat in your apartment for breakfast.  So rather than having breakfast included just get a few supplies and eat in.  Hyde Pk is walking distance.  Free museums are all a stones throw away.

Whatever you book, cross check everything on tripadvisor.  

Have fun.

#12 glowlight

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

I stayed at Rialto hotel and it was charming. Leonardo da vinci hotel in rome was comfortable but staff were extremely rude but it was a good location near the vatican.

#13 le_auteur

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

In London last year we stayed at Grand Plaza Serviced Apartmets in Bayswater. Excellent location, very close to two tube lines (5mins walk), Hyde Park, Notting Hill, etc. It was about aud$200/night (booked through Agoda) and there was plenty of room for my DH, me and our 6mo (in a cot) and we had a fridge and kitchenette and bath/shower. They have a laundry downstairs which was so handy when travelling with kids! Hotel corridors are a bit of a maze (my experience both time in London hotels though).

#14 boatiebabe

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

In Venice we used the website Views on Venice and stayed in a canal apartment in the Zaterre area. I would stay there again. We stayed in Ca'Canaletto. I think they have a five night minimum.

It was close to Academia and was just that little bit out of the crush of San Marco and the Rialto areas which are busy busy busy.

Rome was a debacle for us - our accommodation was double booked and we happened to be in Rome on the busiest weekend of the year. Oh my. I can't recommend where we stayed.

#15 Fairey

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

In London we stayed here:
http://www.royalcourtapartments.co.uk/

It was basic, cheap and a great touristy area (fast food outlets, laundromat, tube stations all nearby).
Didn't include breakfast though

However, I agree with the suggestion of travelodge original.gif

#16 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thanks everyone original.gif. I'll check these places out.

#17 lunariviera

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'd suggest any Premier Inn in London.  Good facilities, not fancy but all do breakfast.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.