SMS alerts - primary schools?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 smarty~pants

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I'm trying to do some research about sms alert systems for primary schools. Attendance/truancy probably doesn't matter so much - its more about communicating with parents ie reminders or notices about cancelled events etc.

Does anyone have any information on these sorts of systems or does anyone's school use one?

Thanks!
original.gif

#2 tibs

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Not in the ACT but NSW.  One of our local public primaries uses Twitter for the purpose you described.  It is cheaper I guess  biggrin.gif

Edited to add I just asked my friend who's son goes there and they now use a smartphone app that the school uses to provide updates etc.  I don't even have a smartphone so I'm glad my son's school aren't so tech savvy biggrin.gif

Edited by tibs, 27 February 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#3 JKTMum

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Our Catholic primary and secondary uses it. Primary for whole school or whole year level reminders (especially if there is a compulsory after hours meeting for a year level) or if something is cancelled/changed at short notice, especially anything to do with buses or if school is cancelled the following day due to excessive heat or extreme fire danger (pretty rare, but it has happened as many of the kids have to travel through high fire danger areas to get to school as we are outer suburban Melbourne and some kids come from the Dandenong Ranges and surrounding areas).

Secondary school uses it again for reminders of year level after hours activites or special meetings and also uses it if the student fails to turn up in the morning (and the parent hasnt contacted the school ie if they are away sick or at an appointment) and for things like failure to hand in an assignment or failure of an important exam or test which will count towards the end of term/semester mark.

For things like newsletter reminders, then email or the school's facebook page are updated with a link to the website for further reading.

#4 brazen

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

no sms system at our school but they have just got an app and i got a notice on my phone today that the P&C meeting is on tonight (more notice would have been better but anyway...)

#5 FeralZombieMum

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Our high school will sometimes send out an sms to alert us to upcoming events, and reminders. Not sure what system they use, but both DH and I will receive an SMS.

Primary school has used it a handful of times - think it was first done when we had the first Code Red day.

#6 KAS

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Our school is currently using a system called Jatly. http://www.jatly.com
It is a smartphone app that can send Alerts for something that is urgent or messages for less urgent matters. These alerts and messages are sent to your local area or you can search for the hash-tag of your school to see all of the school messages. It is sort of like a local twitter.

Not only is it free, it can actually be used to earn IT equipment for your school.
There is more information on the site http://www.jatly.com or http://www.jatly.com/install
And also on the IT for Schools site http://www.itforschools.com.au/
If you would like any further info, just let me know.

Edited by KAS, 27 February 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#7 frozie

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Our school uses a SMS system.  If your mobile number is on the enrolment form when your child first started school, you will receive all the messages.  DH and I both get them.  

The school also has an app which is very handy.  It has all relevant info in there and you can even use it to let the school know if your child is sick (instead of filling out a form or sending a note).

#8 Perfect2

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

We hav just moved to a school that uses sms but I am unsure about what system they use.  It is great through!  Was particularly useful when school was effected by heavy rain early this year and school had to close for a day.

#9 tarind

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Our school has an app that sends out alerts. was very useful when the first day of school was cancelled due to the school flooding.....3alerts were sent out within half an hour.

while they still rang everyone it gave people more time to prepare babysitters etc as it took along time tto ring every family

#10 mumto3princesses

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Our Primary School and High School both use the SMS alerts. Its good.

The primary school do reminders and notices of cancelled or postponed events etc.

While the High School will send out a text if your child is 5mins late or away that day. You can send a reply SMS back or send in a note the following day. They also send out an SMS when their reports have been given out and are going home that day LOL. But we have to check their website to check if carnivals etc are still on or been postponed.

#11 SkeptiFERAL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

I want SMS alerts - particularly as they get older and may be tempted to skip school etc.

#12 spersephone

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Our school does it, but apparently it costs them quite a lot to send them, so they're generally only used when necessary.

#13 Puggle

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Our school has an app, new this year. So far there have been various notifications about meetings etc, we can do canteen orders through it, send absence notes, access newsletters and there's an events calendar too.

We also get absence alerts by SMS.

#14 JoJomummy

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

Our school has introduced SMS alerts for absences this year & a smart phone app too. We get notifications re newsletters & assembly times & can contact teachers, write absent notes etc. very helpful!

#15 lovingmother

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Yes we do for truancy and if the swimming carnival is cancelled.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.