Has anyone here used henna hair dye?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Academic

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

I've had really bright orange-red hair for a few years now. I've always bleached it, then used either Fudge or Directions orange-red shades over the top. I love it, but my hair can't take any more bleaching, and I'm tired of having to re-do it every few weeks to keep it bright.

I recently put a light auburn box dye over my hair so I could try to get a slightly darker, more natural base that my regrowth will blend into and I can stop bleaching. So right now it's a sort of golden/coppery brown, slightly darker on top ('accidental ombre' wink.gif).

I was going to use my usual brands on top of this, but I'm now considering using henna. From all I've read, it leaves your hair in better condition than chemical dyes - even the semis I use - and lasts forever.

I'm looking at a brand sold at Lush called caca rouge mama, which is supposed to be a vibrant red. I'm conflicted, because I've read lots of reviews and some say it's not that bright at all, some say it is super bright, some say it's too orange (not a problem for me, I want it more orange than red) and some say it starts out orange then becomes deeper red, which I'm not sure I want.

I would do a strand test to make sure, but just thought I'd ask if anyone here has used it before and what they thought of it? Is it bright like I want?

#2 noi'mnot

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I used to henna my hair all the time when I was at uni. It is great for your hair - makes it really soft and smooth and healthy. I used to buy it from the university's wholefoods co-op, it was sold by the kilo. The only issue that I ever really had was that I never had great consistency - month by month I might have slightly different shades of red. I think you probably won't have this problem going with more of a "name brand" type thing from a "name brand" store, though. I know that different people have different experiences, though, and for some hair types it does dye better than others. You're never going to know how it will go with your hair until you try it.

If I were you I'd give it a go. You can always get another box dye to put over it if you don't like the result, and at the very least you'll have the benefits of super healthy hair! original.gif

#3 2puzzled

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

henna can be great for your hair, and add great colour and shine. BUT please do a patch test on your skin before use unless you have used henna before. It is a common thing for people to be allergic to and a friend of mine suffered terrible burns to her scalp and many many months of hair loss and then dermatitis as a result. she was very shocked because it is a natural product. do a patch test on the inside of your arm and leave it for 24 hours to see if you get any skin reaction. please google reactions to henna for further info.

Edited by 2puzzled, 27 February 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#4 AmberNut

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

I use henna on my strawberry blonde hair to give a more brassy look. I don't have one with me at the moment but its a powder form in a calico bag which is stocked by Petra. It comes in 4 or so colours, I use the sunset red and leave on for 30 mins. I've left it up to 2 hours for a really deep red/auburn before.
I just mix the powder with boiling water to make a paste in a glass jug, then comb it though my hair, wind my hair up on my head and put a shower cap on until I'm ready to jump in the shower and wash it out with shampoo and conditioner etc. Once I've done it, it does lighten over 3-4 weeks but then the residual staining remains so I never actually get back to my natural colour unless it grows out.
I have a few greys at my temples and it colours them nicely as well so you can't see them, they just blend in.
Ed to add: henna does appear to change the texture of my hair a little, makes it a bit thicker somehow, and less floppy...

Edited by AmberNut, 27 February 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#5 papilio

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I've used the same kind described by AmberNut.  My hair is naturally ginger/orange/strawberry blond, so it just gave me some deeper red highlights, but my hair is very stubborn and does not take dyes well.  It is totally different to dying your hair.  I'm not expert, but I don't think you can use henna over the top of dyed hair and vice versa.

With the kind I had, it had to mix the powder to a paste and make sure that it was the right consistency.  Plus my hair was almost waist length then, so even harder to get the paste through.

#6 GreenEyedGirl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

I use the Lush Henna but the brown one and it was nice. I would def try it. At the end it cannot damage your hair so least you can do is give it a go

#7 loshto

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Yes i have used henna dye twice last year. its very good and i liked it and would defintely be using it again. i also noticed that it left my hair very thick and strong and shiny!

#8 Academic

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for the advice all! I decided to go back to my usual colour this time around, although I won't be bleaching it anymore - hopefully it will still be a nice colour (albeit not as bright) on my natural colour as it eventually grows out.

On another note, I've been dying my hair so long and so frequently I've only just noticed I have a couple of greys in there!  ohmy.gif

#9 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

I know you decided to go a different way, but thought I'd share my experience in case you decide to try it down the track, or anyone else is interested.

I have very dark hair, brown but looks almost black at times. I used the Lush Caca Rouge Mama a while ago, and it was pretty subtle on my hair. It only really showed up as a deep red "glow" in bright sunlight, indoors it looked like my normal hair, perhaps with a hint of red if I was directly under the light.

Colouring dark hair without bleach is tricky, although my DH managed to go bright blonde from his nearly-black hair just with one of the Loreal-type dyes.

#10 redheeler

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

I've been using solely henna for about 4 years now to dye my long hair. It really does help keep your hair in healthy condition. It’s pretty funny when hairdressers cut my hair & comment how healthy it is & the how great the colour is (I’m thinking the henna costs a fraction of the price of dying it in their salon).

I buy the "Nazeer" brand of henna from a honey/soap shop in our central markets. I get a mix of colours, about 200gms of standard red/ 50gms of chestnut brown....as I want a more natural look.
I used to use their sunset red colour, but it was really really bright orange (my hair is natural light brown) I'm very lucky that my DP actually does it for me as it can be very messy (we do it in his shed). After 4 years of doing it he has the technique down pat, including wrapping my head in pallet plastic wrap (like very heavy duty glad wrap) to leave it on for a few hours to let the colour really sink in. I only bother dying it every 6 months now & while the colour fades it still stays in the hair. Love henna!

#11 Maple Leaf

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

I use LUSH henna now and love it. Won't go back to conventional dyes until I'm forced too (with too much grey appearing!).

I use the Caca Brun colour. original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.